CBB begin mass movement campaign against EAC membership in November

Irrespective of whatever benefits that may come from a EAC membership, CBB or anyone else for that matter have all rights to be opposed to this political union.

Even though EAC is a intergovernmental union and not a federation for now, we're are still conceding our sovereignty to a certain extent such as opening up our borders and giving EAC court of justice the jurisdiction on matters within the borders/territorial integrity of Somalia etc.

We should only join a union of this sort through a referendum where the public can their say or through representatives in the parliament by *publicly elected* MPs. Neither of the two options are present now which gives anyone the right to oppose as it could (and should) be unconstitutional. Also, does the current transitional constitution even allow the gov't to ascend this union?
Claims about sovereignty is why the UK voted out. Now they're in a shithole with no access to or investment from the EU.
Still can't even control migration from France.

Claims about sovereignty is why the UK voted out. Now they're in a shithole with no access to or investment from the EU.
Still can't even control migration from France.

The issues relating to the UK vis a vis EU are not the best comparison to Somalia respective EAC.

First of all, my arguments were not based on the fact that Somalia should not join any union as there're plenty of intergovernmental organizations out there without any issues. And if we should enter a union of this sort, it must be publicly approved.

Secondly, the UK didn't have any territorial disputes at the time of their ascension into the EU.

Thirdly, when the UK joined the UK, there were allowed exceptions (opt-outs) that some other countries were not allowed. Such as the Schengen agreement (freedom of movement of people), Economic and monetary union (Euro currency), charter of human rights of EU among other things. They saw that they were better off without conceding these elements to EU, while at the same time reaping the benefits of the EU. Or so they thought, until they changed their mind with Brexit. But this is irrelevant.

The point is, the UK were able to negotiate on matters they were willing to cooperate on and leave out the rest. The question remains, can Somalia protect its interests and put a foot down where we believe that EAC should not interfere? I'm not quite sure. Given our current circumstances, the EAC are doing us a favor by allowing us in the first place let alone giving us space to make ultimatums or ask for negotiations in some aspects.

Last edited:
The issues relating to UK vis a vis EU are not the best comparison to Somalia respective EAC.

First of all, my arguments were not based on the fact that Somalia should not join any unions as there're plenty of intergovernmental organizations out there without any issues. And if we should a union of this sort, it must be publicly approved.

Secondly, the UK didn't have any territorial disputes at the time of their ascension into the EU.

Thirdly, when the UK joined the UK, there were allowed exceptions (opt-outs) that some other countries were not allowed. Such as the Schengen agreement (freedom of movement of people), Economic and monetary union (Euro currency), charter of human rights of EU among other things. They saw that they were better off without conceding these elements to EU, while at the same time enjoying the benefits of the EU. Or so they thought until they changed their mind with Brexit. But this is irrelevant.

The point is, the UK were able to negotiate on matters they were willing to cooperate on and leave out the rest. The question remains, can Somalia protect its interests and put a foot down where we believe that EAC should not interfere? I'm not quite sure. Given our current circumstances, the EAC are doing us a favor by allowing us in the first place let alone give us space to make ultimatums or ask for negotiation in some aspects.
It's a valid comparison. Access to markets is paramount. Concerns about loss of sovereignty is often abstract. Those opt out options came years after they joined. Thatcher and Blair negotiated those terms such as the budget rebate. The UK was initially rejected several times by EU before they considered for membership in 1973.

It's a valid comparison. Access to markets is paramount. Concerns about loss of sovereignty is often abstract. Those opt out options came years after they joined. Thatcher and Blair negotiated those terms such as the budget rebate. The UK was initially rejected several times by EU before they considered for membership in 1973.

But my points still stands. In any case, the economical aspect and potentials out there are exceptional as we have an access to a vast market that could reach hundreds of millions. However, the disadvantage is that we are far behind the other member states, with us not having an economy worthy of its name.

Heck, we barely have anything to we could possibly offer them and we could end up becoming the dumping site of EAC. I hope that we got our internal affairs in order as soon as possible and thus be able to focus on growing our economy (and strengthen institutions) as much as possible so we can use EAC to our advantage.

Last edited:

bidenkulaha

GalYare
But my points still stands. In any case, the economical aspect and potentials out there are exceptional as we have an access to a vast market that could reach hundreds of millions. However, the disadvantage is that we are far behind the other member states, with us not having an economy worthy of its name.

Heck, we barely have anything to we could possibly offer them and we could end up becoming the dumping site of EAC. I hope that we got out internal affairs in order as soon as possible and thus be able to focus on growing our economy (and strengthen institutions) as much as possible so we can use EAC to our advantage.
Once we have access to international finance, solve security problems we’ll start hitting 7-10% growth rates. Especially with AI breakthrough reducing the length of time needed for institutional building.

I don’t doubt we’ll benefit from the big market. We need a backdoor to escape the sanctions we are under right now

Fobnimo Till I Dhimo

كَمَا دَخَلُوهُ أَوَّلَ مَرَّةٍۢ🕌☝🏾
VIP
That's the least of our worries. We have the highest birth rates in the EAC and you're more likely seeing Somali migrations towards the other countries than vice versa. I hope that we indeed expand our territory southwards from NFD :ummhmsmiley:
Looking forward to the great shisheeye flood.

Heck, we barely have anything to we could possibly offer them and we could end up becoming the dumping site of EAC. I hope that we got our internal affairs in order as soon as possible and thus be able to focus on growing our economy (and strengthen institutions) as much as possible so we can use EAC to our advantage.
Remember UK basically begged to join EU. They didn't have much to offer at first. Their politicians later on gave them leverage. It can be the same for us. I don't believe those EAC countries are much better than us at making deals personally. Africans think the same.

Lots of companies are desperate to invest in Somlia. We have gas we could sell. Gas has been known about for decades.

We can be the transportation member of the union.

Our waters have the same territory size as tanzania i have been told.

Best believe only drc when they get their shit together has more resources than us.

Our coastline check, our marine life check, our strategic location check, our business communities in their countries check,

People we can trade with check, courts that will solve our disputes check, a bigger employable population check, we can do so much in this union.

Yet these people want us to stay out of it.

Do you really think rwanda and the congo will share a country?

Or tanzania and kenya??

Wallahi a lot of our people are actually intellectually challenged.

Same goes for the deal we signed with the uae for our security apparatus and intelligence branch.
That’s all true IF you control you country. Get control first. !

Trending