Castles, forts and other ancient Somali structures

Hamzza

VIP
Somali huts in hobyo cariish&Aqal
IMG_20220208_145314.jpg
IMG_20220208_145320.jpg

Clllam

Γ†
, Muqdishu. This is probably a misattribution but the internet tells me it’s apparently the palace of the Muzzafars, or what was left of it, the same people who replaced the Fakhrudiins around the 1400s

1645554043167.jpeg

Shimbiris

Ψ¨Ω‰ΩŽΨ± ΨΊΩ‰ΩŽΩ„ Ψ₯ي؀ ΨΉΨ’Ω†Ψ€ Ω„Ψ€
VIP

It's really interesting how from north to south there seems to be this same architectural style. There's always this sort of crenellating/crowning of the buildings (especially along the corners) alongside whitewashing. Compare this masjid to this old surviving Laasqoray masjid all the way in Sanaag:

y9DTsKd.jpg

It seems that most modern Somali forts in North & Central were bulit by Yemeni carpenters. There's 100s of such similar forts built from late 18th century to 20th century primarily by autonomous Harti & Isaaq communities, Hobyo & Majeerteen Sultanate, Cali Sharmaarke & Daraawish. Majeerteen sultanate had over 40+ costal forts in 1925 & more innland & Daraawiish built forts as far as Iimeey & Beledweyn.

I even heard Cali Majeerteen bulit one in Sool where Cumar Maxamuud & Dhulo fought!

@Al-Ma'mun Do u know how many forts Isaaqs had? know they had in the coast, but what ab innland?

It seems that most modern Somali forts in North & Central were bulit by Yemeni carpenters. There's 100s of such similar forts built from late 18th century to 20th century primarily by autonomous Harti & Isaaq communities, Hobyo & Majeerteen Sultanate, Cali Sharmaarke & Daraawish. Majeerteen sultanate had over 40+ costal forts in 1925 & more innland & Daraawiish built forts as far as Iimeey & Beledweyn.

I even heard Cali Majeerteen bulit one in Sool where Cumar Maxamuud & Dhulo fought!

@Al-Ma'mun Do u know how many forts Isaaqs had? know they had in the coast, but what ab innland?
Yemeni carpenter only built for the daarawish not the boqortoyo

:yousmart: :yousmart: :yousmart:

Trending