Canjeelo or Laxoox? The ultimate debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. That would support my theory of the name for Oromos, Galla, had nothing to do with them being infidels (so were the Habasha), but because they didn't own camels i.e. Gaalla', those without camels.
We will never know where the derogatory term Galla for Oromos came from.

I think I was wrong to say Habartay is used to mean mother in the South . I believe it is now only used in a negative sense as in Habarta u sheeg or “***”

My Suugo science flopped !

Ayy?

Nah its still used but mostly in a third person for instance : habartey baa sidaan tiri, habartey guriga ma joogto and so..so.

But hooyo is the common way people addres their mother.

Blade1

Ashy Abdi Representative
I noticed the further you go north the more the words start to Change example canjeero becomes canjeelo mathow becomes madow jacayl becomes chacayl honestly I don't care which one is the original but I personally I can't stand southern pronunciation :vqbuyv0:
The first time i heard the north dialect it sounds like some African/Indian dialect of somali so harsh and women sound like men no offence. I'm glad my grandad went to Mogadishu otherwise my father would have the north accent akhas I cringe when some of my relatives have that north dialect

The first time i heard the north dialect it sounds like some African/Indian dialect of somali so harsh and women sound like men no offence. I'm glad my grandad went to Mogadishu otherwise my father would have the north accent akhas I cringe when some of my relatives have that north dialect
Better harsh than sounding all jileec

All this long i thought you were northerner :gucciwhat:

Nothing beats the southern accent :lawd: especially when a girl calls you aboowe macanow :lawd:
Laabta isaar nooh:lawd::lawd::jcoleno:

Blade1

Ashy Abdi Representative
All this long i thought you were northerner :gucciwhat:

Nothing beats the southern accent :lawd: especially when a girl calls you aboowe macanow :lawd:
Laabta isaar nooh:lawd::lawd::jcoleno:
My father family is originally from North west Ogaden but he grew up in Mogadishu so I only claim southerner

So basically south kept the original somali I'm not surprised

In Some cases , no. Sabaayad , for example could be a Yemeni loanword, whereas Northern Somali Kimis is still used by the Rendille (Kibis). There you have an example of Northern Somali retaining an ancient Cushitic word which has been lost in the South .

You have to also bear in mind some Southern dialects are closer to Northern Somali than they are to Af Maay. ( Af Maay and Af Maxa tiri).

Somali language is interesting if you don’t look at it through a lense of my Somali is better than yours.

Hooyo is also an authentic Somali word used by all. Habartay was probably discarded because it became associated with negativity ( ie old woman ).

Somali also has many words to describe on thing. Some groups migrate from others and one sticks to a certain word while another keeps one.

In the Rendille video the girl said Engagey( dry). Some of you maybe more familiar with Qalalan.

Iga Durug vs Iga Siko.

Jiir vs Dooli etc. There is no right Somali so long as the word is not a loan word.

Clickbait! I will get to the subject towards the end .

Firstly , some ancient Somali words:

Hooyo is the traditional word many of us , especially from the North, are familiar with. Habartey is also used for mother in the South. There are some other Somali words which begin with the same root word:

Habaryar ( Maternal aunt). It literally symbolises the fact that the maternal aunt is the second mother.

Habarwadaag ( the cousin children of two sisters /aunts).

See how the Rendille girl uses Habartay so frequently.

Bread equals Kibis which is now pronounced Kimis by some. I think it comes from the other root Afroasiatic word for bread from other Afroasiatic languages Kubz, Khubz, etc . Sabaayad could well be an Yemeni loan word.

I have no idea where Muufo comes from. Injera or Canjeelo is used by various “Semetic” and “ Cushitic” groups across the Horn. The Northern Somalis use the word Lahoh which is also used by Yemenis and Israelis( Yemeni Jews). I am not sure as to who burrowed the word from whom. Northern Somali does sometimes tend to substitute some old Somali words with Arabic words. For example, Dooro for Digaag and Ukun with Beed.

I think Canjeelo is the original Somalioid word . Since Lahoh is absent from most of the Cushitic and Semetic languages in the Horn , I would assume injera/canjeelo is the original.

There are a few other words in Southern dialects from ancient Somaliod which some Northerners think of as Jibberish. These words are still found in Rendille and other Cushitic languages.

Ma Fayda: are you OK/Good-greeting.

Iga Siko: Asking someone to move up. Iga Durug is used in the North and is found in other Cushitic languages to the West and North .

Suugo Science.

malowah and sabaya

Clickbait! I will get to the subject towards the end .

Firstly , some ancient Somali words:

Hooyo is the traditional word many of us , especially from the North, are familiar with. Habartey is also used for mother in the South. There are some other Somali words which begin with the same root word:

Habaryar ( Maternal aunt). It literally symbolises the fact that the maternal aunt is the second mother.

Habarwadaag ( the cousin children of two sisters /aunts).

See how the Rendille girl uses Habartay so frequently.

Bread equals Kibis which is now pronounced Kimis by some. I think it comes from the other root Afroasiatic word for bread from other Afroasiatic languages Kubz, Khubz, etc . Sabaayad could well be an Yemeni loan word.

I have no idea where Muufo comes from. Injera or Canjeelo is used by various “Semetic” and “ Cushitic” groups across the Horn. The Northern Somalis use the word Lahoh which is also used by Yemenis and Israelis( Yemeni Jews). I am not sure as to who burrowed the word from whom. Northern Somali does sometimes tend to substitute some old Somali words with Arabic words. For example, Dooro for Digaag and Ukun with Beed.

I think Canjeelo is the original Somalioid word . Since Lahoh is absent from most of the Cushitic and Semetic languages in the Horn , I would assume injera/canjeelo is the original.

There are a few other words in Southern dialects from ancient Somaliod which some Northerners think of as Jibberish. These words are still found in Rendille and other Cushitic languages.

Ma Fayda: are you OK/Good-greeting.

Iga Siko: Asking someone to move up. Iga Durug is used in the North and is found in other Cushitic languages to the West and North .

Suugo Science.

I think Central Somalia (Mudug) speaks the most closest to original Somali. If you listen closely it sounds like they pronounce it completely and even apply the correct stresses & shadda :wowsweat:

And the farther you go from it the more softened/corrupted/changed it becomes.

With the north replacing words with English and Yemeni Arabic while the South has some Italian words. NFD have very funny sounding somali, almost sounds broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts