Canjeelo or Laxoox? The ultimate debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clickbait! I will get to the subject towards the end .

Firstly , some ancient Somali words:

Hooyo is the traditional word many of us , especially from the North, are familiar with. Habartey is also used for mother in the South. There are some other Somali words which begin with the same root word:

Habaryar ( Maternal aunt). It literally symbolises the fact that the maternal aunt is the second mother.

Habarwadaag ( the cousin children of two sisters /aunts).

See how the Rendille girl uses Habartay so frequently.

Bread equals Kibis which is now pronounced Kimis by some. I think it comes from the other root Afroasiatic word for bread from other Afroasiatic languages Kubz, Khubz, etc . Sabaayad could well be an Yemeni loan word.

I have no idea where Muufo comes from. Injera or Canjeelo is used by various “Semetic” and “ Cushitic” groups across the Horn. The Northern Somalis use the word Lahoh which is also used by Yemenis and Israelis( Yemeni Jews). I am not sure as to who burrowed the word from whom. Northern Somali does sometimes tend to substitute some old Somali words with Arabic words. For example, Dooro for Digaag and Ukun with Beed.

I think Canjeelo is the original Somalioid word . Since Lahoh is absent from most of the Cushitic and Semetic languages in the Horn , I would assume injera/canjeelo is the original.

There are a few other words in Southern dialects from ancient Somaliod which some Northerners think of as Jibberish. These words are still found in Rendille and other Cushitic languages.

Ma Fayda: are you OK/Good-greeting.

Iga Siko: Asking someone to move up. Iga Durug is used in the North and is found in other Cushitic languages to the West and North .

Suugo Science.

Also, Laydh in Northern Somali is a corruption of English light. NAL is probably the original Somaloid word.

Folks are using Italian, Arabic and English loan words when there are many original Somali words available to use for many everyday things.

It's Canjeero. :fittytousand::fittytousand:

And my hooyo is from the South. We've always called her hooyo.
:umwhat:
I never said Southerners don’t use Hooyo. It seems Habartay was once used before or alongside Hooyo by ancient Somalia.Till this day , some Southerners say Habarta was as an insult .Words like Habar Yar also show that Habar meant mother even in Northern dialects.

It is not about what your family says or what you think .This is about historical linguistics. For example , the fact that Somali clans are called Gaaljecel and Abgaal shows that the Somali word for camel was once Gaal and then became Geel.

I never said Southerners don’t use Hooyo. It seems Habartay was once used before or alongside Hooyo by ancient Somalia.Till this day , some Southerners say Habarta was as an insult .Words like Habar Yar also show that Habar meant mother even in Northern dialects.

It is not about what your family says or what you think .This is about historical linguistics. For example , the fact that Somali clans are called Gaaljecel and Abgaal shows that the Somali word for camel was once Gaal and then became Geel.
ezgif.com-resize-8.gif

Clickbait! I will get to the subject towards the end .

Firstly , some ancient Somali words:

Hooyo is the traditional word many of us , especially from the North, are familiar with. Habartey is also used for mother in the South. There are some other Somali words which begin with the same root word:

Habaryar ( Maternal aunt). It literally symbolises the fact that the maternal aunt is the second mother.

Habarwadaag ( the cousin children of two sisters /aunts).

See how the Rendille girl uses Habartay so frequently.

Bread equals Kibis which is now pronounced Kimis by some. I think it comes from the other root Afroasiatic word for bread from other Afroasiatic languages Kubz, Khubz, etc . Sabaayad could well be an Yemeni loan word.

I have no idea where Muufo comes from. Injera or Canjeelo is used by various “Semetic” and “ Cushitic” groups across the Horn. The Northern Somalis use the word Lahoh which is also used by Yemenis and Israelis( Yemeni Jews). I am not sure as to who burrowed the word from whom. Northern Somali does sometimes tend to substitute some old Somali words with Arabic words. For example, Dooro for Digaag and Ukun with Beed.

I think Canjeelo is the original Somalioid word . Since Lahoh is absent from most of the Cushitic and Semetic languages in the Horn , I would assume injera/canjeelo is the original.

There are a few other words in Southern dialects from ancient Somaliod which some Northerners think of as Jibberish. These words are still found in Rendille and other Cushitic languages.

Ma Fayda: are you OK/Good-greeting.

Iga Siko: Asking someone to move up. Iga Durug is used in the North and is found in other Cushitic languages to the West and North .

Suugo Science.
Btw, we dont "hooyo" or "hawartey" in the south, as far as i know, we dont even call morhers "hooyo". Its "ayy" or "uma"

Btw, we dont "hooyo" or "hawartey" in the south, as far as i know, we dont even call morhers "hooyo". Its "ayy" or "uma"
I think I was wrong to say Habartay is used to mean mother in the South . I believe it is now only used in a negative sense as in Habarta u sheeg or “***”

My Suugo science flopped !

Ayy?

White

Sippin tea in yo hood. PS IM A DUDE

habarta oo sheeg, yes, we use it as an insult.

Interesting. That would support my theory of the name for Oromos, Galla, had nothing to do with them being infidels (so were the Habasha), but because they didn't own camels i.e. Gaalla', those without camels.

Interesting thing about the Somali word Hooyo. It is etymologically related to the word Hooy, meaning home. Which came first though?

Laxoox is a somalisation of the Yemeni 'Laxuux' as the flatbread was first made by Yemeni Jews and introduced into the horn, or maybe it was the other way around and Horner's introduced it to them. Laxoox/canjeero is still a staple in Yemen.

I noticed the further you go north the more the words start to Change example canjeero becomes canjeelo mathow becomes madow jacayl becomes chacayl honestly I don't care which one is the original but I personally I can't stand southern pronunciation :vqbuyv0:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts