Can individualism cure qabil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
So if you marry within qabil its basically distant cousins. This is also an issue that should be tackled.

Not true, you can be more closely related to someone from a different clan than your own. Somalis don't really keep track of maternal linkages.

The thing I hate the most about qabil is that it stops Somalis from being self-critical. It's always that other qabils fault. We're never going to solve our problems if we can't self reflect as a whole.

somalis need to let go of the past and move on. prob easy for me to say as a privileged westerner but im not lying.

Arma

GRAND Wizard of MJ SIXIIR
VIP
The thing I hate the most about qabil is that it stops Somalis from being self-critical. It's always that other qabils fault. We're never going to solve our problems if we can't self reflect as a whole.

It's true, that's why I've been against the politics of my Ali Saleeban MJ subclan. Jealousy and bitterness is what lead to them, to kill President Sharmarke, and it's again those same reasons, that they join terrorist groups and go against PL at times.

xisaabiye

Ibnu Suxuufi Ibnu Al Dhoobe
Qabiil and qabiyaalad are used as forms of social insurance. Replace it with economic empowerment and people won't care for it

Shaolin23

Seeker of knowledge and truth
For us it's better we eradicate qabiil altogether because the mind is incapable of using qabiil without malice

World

VIP
Individualism doesn't exist in Somali culture. It's not possible to rely on yourself. Where would you find quality grazing land if you didn't depend on anyone? Who wouldn't grant you water access? Who will defend you if your livestock herd was stolen? Who would help you if you went through a harsh drought? Find me a pastoral nomadic culture anywhere in the world without clans.

TooMacaan

β™‘
VIP
As corny as it may sound: the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Individualism (in the extreme) also has many pitfalls of its own. Just look at some aspects of 'Western culture' as a reference. In your seemingly noble attempt to eradicate something you deem as harmful...you risk losing central components of the Somali identity/way of life as well. The answer lies in balance, I guess (hence probably why many here emphasize the difference between qabil & qabyaalad).

Individualism doesn't exist in Somali culture. It's not possible to rely on yourself. Where would you find quality grazing land if you didn't depend on anyone? Who wouldn't grant you water access? Who will defend you if your livestock herd was stolen? Who would help you if you went through a harsh drought? Find me a pastoral nomadic culture anywhere in the world without clans.

The government, Somali police, Somali rescue forces these can be created. Theres no need to be a nomad in 2017...

Xaagi-Cagmadigtee

Guul ama Dhimasho
Creating Somali army or police is not a panacea to Somalia's problem. It is far too deep and complex than that.

Btw., individualism a la American style is what drowned grandma at her home during Hurricane Harvey

Last edited:
IMG_20171008_224410.jpg IMG_20171008_224309.jpg IMG_20171008_224007.jpg

As corny as it may sound: the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Individualism (in the extreme) also has many pitfalls of its own. Just look at some aspects of 'Western culture' as a reference. In your seemingly noble attempt to eradicate something you deem as harmful...you risk losing central components of the Somali identity/way of life as well. The answer lies in balance, I guess (hence probably why many here emphasize the difference between qabil & qabyaalad).

It can't be worse than what we already deal with.

I've been thinking and in Somali culture were quick to condemn others who are just being themselves as they need our approval as a collective. Whites are successful because they let their own individuals do their own thing they are "free".

You're afraid if somalis start thinking for themselves we lose our culture and somalinimo but infact I believe it will advance our people and help us understand ourselves more, those with same interest will come together. Qabil or Qabilyaad whatever stops this from happening.

Last edited:

Xooshdheere

how do i use this
We can change if we teach to the next gen of somalis
Educating the next generation is a good idea. At home you are taught Qabiil very well but not math or something fucking important. As a consequence we have been in the West for 27 years now and counting, yet, every community has passed us.

This generation is, according to me and my own experience - very Qabiil obsessed....even the Sspot ciyaal or real life who can't speak Af-Soomaali are Qabiil obsessed, change can only come from within and when we decide to actually progress and not relying on some primitive monkey system.

.....and then we have the sick Qabiilists who even make fun of dead people or suffering people of certain Qabiils, that's how qabyalaaized and backwards we are...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts