Cairo: Somali communities suffer torture, robbery from police officers and no justice

SOMALIS-CAIRO-780x405.png

This screenshot from a CCTV footage shows Egyptian police manhandling and harassing a Somali businessman in Cairo. The man identified as Mohamed was later dumped turned away from a police station where he had gone to record the case and threatened against filing any complaint.

AIRO, EGYPT: Somalis are facing increasing mistreatment, torture and robbery from Egyptian police in the capital Cairo with no hopes for recourse as some are now forced to leave the country for Turkey.

A man identified as Mohamed who appeared in a CCTV footage this week is the latest victim of police harassment in Cairo adding to several other members of the Somali community who have had to endure mistreatment from Egyptian police.

According to the victim and members of the Somali community in Cairo, police officers from Hayi Ashir of Madinat town manhandles the man and hit him badly before taking away 46,000 Gini of Egyptian currency, his passport, a mobile phone, a jacket. The police officers later took Mohamed to a desert outside the city and left him.

COMPLAINT

Mohamed later went to Madinat Al-Nasri police station to file a complaint and to prove his case, he presented the CCTV footage from his shop showing the police harassing him. But the police would hear none of his complaints and turned him away. “They (the police) recognised the men in the footage as fellow officers and suddenly changed tune. They told me to go away and never to report the matter saying they will file drug trafficking charges against me should I file the case,” Mohamed said.

The soldiers took him to his house where they ordered him “not to take this case to other stations.’

However, this is not the first time Somali communities in Cairo are faced with such difficulties. Several such cases have happened in Madinat Al-Nasri where police rob Somalis of their property without any consequences.

The soldiers regularly arrive in Hayi Ashir where they commit robbery, torture and threats on the Somali communities. According to accounts of some Somalis in the area, the police officers have stolen from them money and taken away businesses owned by Somalis.

Only this past week, some policemen robbed a group of Somalis of money they intended to organize a book show.

TORTURE

A victim identified as Abdullahi said, “Last night, I was at Hayi Ashir when two policemen approached me and asked for my ID. I showed them but they led me by force to a jungle area where they tortured me and took from me more than 3,000 Egyptian pounds, my mobile phone and my ID card.”

When asked if he went to the police station to report, he responded, “I submitted my case, and they told me to go to a hospital and get a doctor’s report. I did all that but I don’t expect anything. Only two months ago a police officer robbed another Somali man of 30,000 and nothing was done,” said Abdullahi.

For many Somalis here, the police mistreatment goes on unabated and there is no hope for any justice.

“Last Wednesday, a Somali man was robbed USD600, while another one driving a car was stopped and robbed of 70,000 pounds and USD 1, 000,” said a man who refused to be identified for security reasons.

The only option, some Somalis here say is to leave the country. Some said they would go to Turkey while others think of just stopping business until the situation changes.

However, they are all pleading with President Abdel Fatah El-Sisi to intervene and stop the endless mistreatment against Somalia. Some said they are also appealing with Somali ambassador to Egypt and the Federal Government back in Somalia to come to their aid.

https://goobjoog.com/english/cairo-...-robbery-from-police-officers-and-no-justice/

Bohol

VIP
And yet we have thousands of Somalis that bootyclap for Arabs. Somalis are treated like trash in Arab countries, can you imagine this happening in a western country?

I heard many somalis in the middle east get treated badly. Furthermore, that's why I love the west because you get treated fairly and justly in comparison to ME or NA.

Las Vegas is better than Dubai

:gucciwhat:

Plus, in last Vegas you can drink artificial khumry and chat to xalimo in the club.

However, Dubai you can't have the western type of things that is the norm in regards to relationships between the two sexes.
:banderas:

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Most of the middle East is just as backwards as the rest of Africa.

If you decide to work in the slums don't be surprised if you get robbed once in a while.

Same with those in SA

Egypt is the new South Africa. Lots of Somalis are leaving and heading to Turkey.
In Saudi Arabia, all foreigners have to pay a $500 tax per month per head. Meanwhile here in Canada, kids of single mothers are paid $500 per month in addition to the welfare benefits, free education, free healthcare. Sometimes I wonder, are them Arabs really Muslims?

CaliTedesse

I ❤️ Islam & Aabo Kush. Anti-BBB Anti-Inbred
VIP
Egypt is the new South Africa. Lots of Somalis are leaving and heading to Turkey.
In Saudi Arabia, all foreigners have to pay a $500 tax per month per head. Meanwhile here in Canada, kids of single mothers are paid $500 per month in addition to the welfare benefits, free education, free healthcare. Sometimes I wonder, are them Arabs really Muslims?
Arabs lol most MENA countries including Somalia are shitty bro. You should ask yourself are all Muslims really Muslim?

Businessmen?

They could be dealing in drugs and the cops want to steal the proceeds of drugs. It could happen anywhere in the world. It’s mainly safe for Somalis to live in Egypt.

Nation of beggars will always get ridiculed.

Had their been a sizable Egyptian community living in somalia making a living. Our image over there wouldn't be one of begging, or feeling miskeen for.

Darood Hawiyee isaaq, none that matter to the untrained eye. You'll always be that miskeen nigga abroad.

Turkey is the new hot spot for geeljire migration, up until they start getting abused there also of course.

This nomadic culture is getting kind of silly. Will they ever learn?

:farmajoyaab:

I don’t get why Somalis migrate to these Arab countries. Either stay in the West or stay back home

Exactly, I use to tell people that I rather live in the west than live in those countrie. Yet, people were side eyeing me back then. Now, I was right all along.

Somalis get treated better in Uganda than in Egypt. Yet they hate Ugandans more for being Bantu, really stupid mentality.

There is about 4 million Sudanese migrants in Egypt, they are treated like utter dog shit. Everytime I arrive in Cairo airport from Khartoum, they make you fill out some ''medical form'', I remember one time this stupid Egyptian who worked at the airport, said because Sudan has ''malaria and aids'' this is why they need to do this ''procedure'' she said, of course they wouldn't dare to do this with a Saudi or white person coming into their airport, on the other hand if you're a rich Somali or Sudani from the west, they will worship you like a dog and beg you to give them dollars.

IftiinOfLife

Raw Hard Truth
Egypt is not the same egypt as it was, now its a complete poor shit hole and i predict it going down Libya routes.

I have a close friend who is Egyptian he complains about fuckery and harassment and he grew up there, Somalis pull out of Masr, it ain't the same.

Trending