Boris Johnson to unveil biggest ad campaign since Second World War to prepare for 'no deal'

Boris Johnson is to launch the biggest advertising campaign since the Second World War to get Britain ready for no-deal with an unprecedented marketing blitz on billboards, radio and television.

Tens of millions of pounds will be spent on what will become the biggest public information campaign since the end of the war over the next three months, Government sources said. The news came as the Government goes into overdrive to prepare for a no-deal exit with daily briefings on progress in the Cobra briefing room normally reserved for coordinating responses to national emergencies.

Sajid Javid, the Chancellor of the Exchequer, will set out plans this week - on Tuesday or Wednesday - for an extra £1billion of spending on no deal preparations. Part of this will be up to £100million on the public information campaign, dwarfing the lacklustre radio and internet campaign run by the Government before the March 29 Brexit deadline this year.

The new campaign, which could include a leaflet delivered to every home in the country, will be much bigger than the 'Tell Sid' bid to encourage the public to buy shares at the privatisation of British Gas and 'Aids - Don't Die of Ignorance' TV, radio and newspaper awareness campaigns in the 1980s.

One Treasury source said: "I can't imagine there has been a bigger 'comms' campaign than this since the War. It is a pretty huge thing for a 'comms' campaign."

Ministers said the extra spending was part of a " real step up in activity" on no deal planning. Rishi Sunak, the Chief Secretary to the Treasury, said: "We are turbo charging preparations for no deal and that is now the government’s number one priority."

The objective, he said, was to force Brussels negotiators to remove the Northern Irish backstop from the EU Withdrawal Agreement to allow the UK to leave with a deal by Oct 31.

He told Sophy Ridge on Sunday on Sky News: "We want to remove this undemocratic backstop from the existing agreement but if the EU is not willing to talk about that then it’s right that we prepare properly with conviction."

Mr Johnson's Cabinet met yesterday by phone for an hour starting at 11.30am to approve three new committees that are intended to turbocharge preparations for leaving the EU without a deal by October 31.

The three committees are intended to bring to an end the delay which beset the committees established under Theresa May to tackle Brexit, Mr Johnson said.

A Number 10 source said Mr Johnson "wanted to convey that he wished to avoid committees of the past which had not moved quickly enough, did not result in actions or accountability and were often undermined by parallel structures.

"[The] Cabinet agreed that this would send a clear message about the Government’s plans to deliver Brexit."

Mr Johnson and Michael Gove, the Chancellor to the Duchy of Lancaster, will convene a 'war Cabinet' of just six ministers including Brexit Secretary Steve Barclay and Chancellor Sajid Javid to monitor progress.

This "Exit Strategy Committee" will meet twice weekly on Mondays and Thursdays.

Mr Gove will also chair - with Mr Sunak - a separate daily meeting in the Cobra room to monitor progress and "kick important issues" to Mr Johnson where necessary.

The Cabinet was told that "live actions, deadlines and accountability [will] be on the screens of Cobr at every meeting and minutes will be circulated immediately after" from this "Daily Operations Committee".

Mr Johnson will also chair an "Exit Strategy Committee" which will meet regularly, will have a broad remit and will be "particularly focused on Britain’s future relationships around the world".

The membership of all three committees is due to be published later today (Monday). One Number 10 source said that holding "the daily meetings show that we are serious about no deal."

The source said that people should not get carried away by suggesting that Cobra had been "convened" to tackle a crisis.

The room - officially known as Cabinet Office Briefing Room A - was the most convenient because of the screens and IT available there.

The source added: "The Cabinet agreed there is a very clear message that we are serious about what we are doing and getting ready to leave on Oct 31."

Meanwhile Mr Johnson's ministerial reshuffle after replacing Mrs May as Prime Minister continued on Sunday with the appointment of Amanda Milling, Jeremy Quin and Stuart Andrew to the Government whips office.

Haye London will no longer be the financial hub of Europe and incoming economic meltdown.

I feel bad for every UK Somalis but I am excited to witness the destruction of the UK. I have a feeling Scotland will rejoin the EU and the unification of Ireland within the next decade.

farmaajolook.png

Karim

I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
HALYEEY
VIP
Theresa May wasted three precious years of every British citizen. Women are always incompetent leaders.

Molotoff

Supreme Bosniak Geeljire
VIP
Haye London will no longer be the financial hub of Europe and incoming economic meltdown.

I feel bad for every UK Somalis but I am excited to witness the destruction of the UK. I have a feeling Scotland will rejoin the EU and the unification of Ireland within the next decade.

View attachment 76403

Northern Ireland must be incorporated into the Republic of Ireland!

The cadaans in UK want everything to fall apart so they immigrants go away. They would rather burn their own house down than live in a multi culture society. I feel bad for Reer UK Somalis it’s about to get real tough for them. No government benefits. Majority will try to move to Scandinavia but they will just implement the same policies soon. :francis:

You will see a lot of Reer UK move back to Somaliland/Somalia within the next 5-10 years

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
The cadaans in UK want everything to fall apart so they immigrants go away. They would rather burn their own house down than live in a multi culture society. I feel bad for Reer UK Somalis it’s about to get real tough for them. No government benefits. Majority will try to move to Scandinavia but they will just implement the same policies soon. :francis:

You will see a lot of Reer UK move back to Somaliland/Somalia within the next 5-10 years

Best case scenario for everyone involved.

All those immigrants in the UK can go back to improve their own countries.

Especially Somalis since you wouldn't get them to go back otherwise.

The worse the environment for Somalis in the west the better it is for Somalia since we can't rely on remittance to run an economy.

Best case scenario for everyone involved.

All those immigrants in the UK can go back to improve their own countries.

Especially Somalis since you wouldn't get them to go back otherwise.

The worse the environment for Somalis in the west the better it is for Somalia since we can't rely on remittance to run an economy.

A large chunk of remittances will be gone from Somalias economy then. There are no jobs in Somalia. It would be worst case scenario for both sides. Somalia will now have 100,000+ people flooding the country where there’s not enough jobs for the locals even. It would be worst case scenario for both sides. I think you would see people tryna to settle in Turkey or Kenya maybe even Tanzania first before having to settle in Somalia. The only way I see them willingly going is if they have business plan or a family business already set up they can take part in expanding

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
A large chunk of remittances will be gone from Somalias economy then. There are no jobs in Somalia. It would be worst case scenario for both sides. Somalia will now have 100,000+ people flooding the country where there’s not enough jobs for the locals even. It would be worst case scenario for both sides. I think you would see people tryna to settle in Turkey or Kenya maybe even Tanzania first before having to settle in Somalia. The only way I see them willingly going is if they have business plan or a family business already set up they can take part in expanding

Turks aren't cucks like the west. They would accept our sorry asses.

Kenya will see us a threat and life there would be shitty.

Somali returnees in Somalia won't take jobs from locals... they'll end up creating them.

They'll bring in fresh ideas for products and services that would make life a lot more convenient in Somalia.

They'll insist on a better lifestyle and this in turn would push the locals to imitate them initiaring some sort of social mobility we never had.

If you were forced to go back to Somalia today would you be happy with a $200-$500 salary?