Book recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shamis

I have a kindle paperwhite not fire - will this mega browser work? I pressed 'download' but it says I have to run mega for the file to start downloading.

I

IntensiveCareUnit

I have a kindle paperwhite not fire - will this mega browser work? I pressed 'download' but it says I have to run mega for the file to start downloading.
if you have an SD card, download it unto that? paperwhite is just an e-reader. no apps eh. i dunno.

S

Shamis

Yeah its just an e reader - I prefer it because it doesn't hurt your eyes and it feels like paper + there's no chance of getting distracted from what I'm reading. I'll order the paperback.

9837154.jpg

51KWbUDKU1L._AC_UL320_SR210,320_.jpg

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9837154-the-silence-of-medair

Since you like fantasy and romance, this duology is the absolute best combination of both.
if you have an SD card, download it unto that? paperwhite is just an e-reader. no apps eh. i dunno.

I think you can just plug in your Kindle and dl the PDF. Dl the pdf onto your computer, drag the file to your Kindle.

@Juujuu What was the most original point she made? There are a lot of political books/pundits on Islam in the modern world.

@Gambit You do know that Dumbledore is gay right? lol Harry Potter series are all classics like the Narnia series.

@IntensiveCareUnit - is there a step for step? I have a paperwhite, will it still work? If you can teach me how to do this I'd really appreciate your help!

@SomaliSpotter I never thought about reading her as Robert Galbraith - something weird about it like seeing your teacher on the weekends. I'll definitely give it a go - which one is the best or should I read them in the order they were released? I have Finders Keepers, that was my impulse buy and the beginning isn't all the great - maybe I got used to his style but the story doesn't leap out like it used to. Mr Mercedes sounds like a horror parody - he's been doing weird shit lately and I'm worried that it will hurt his legacy in the long run.

I never read any of the Harry Potter books so I don't have that issue you've raised. lol

O yeah, you better start with the first one because it's a series and you will get lost if you just start with the second one. Since the whole foundation and all the key points and characters of any series book are in the 1st book it only makes that you start with the 1st one. Plus, they aren't that big so you can read the whole of book one in one weekend.

I haven't read any of King's 2 new crime fiction books yet. I downloaded them and they're still sitting on my desktop (I could have emailed you if you were a Kindle user so bad luck haha). You say Finders Keepers aint that great? Maybe fans jumped on the 'positive' rating since it's a King material, don't know. Only time will tell.

Wait! I have just seen this comment after I've just responded to your reply post to my early post (postception) and I thought you said you don't like eBook readers and only read hard-copies awhile ago? Or am I mistaking you for someone else?

depends on what you are into but these are my top 4
48 laws of power by Robert Greene
how to make friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie
success in not an accident by Lair Ribeiro
mastery by robert greene
0095338cdb.gif

@KXNG I'm way past the age of self improvement - At this stage I'm happy just maintaining what I have now.

No one is past an "age of self improvement". We're humans, and as time goes by we are bound to change, for better or for worse. The difference is whether you're going to strive to achieve the "best" kind of person you could be or naturally get complancent with your life go down hill.

Also for books, I'm a Philip K. Dick fan, read up The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch.

S

Shamis

Thank you Samawada nice selection.
*I'll do that as soon as possible - I just got it and I didn't realise that they've upgraded the paperwhite since the last one. This one has a web browser so this is possible. Tho

@SomaliSpotter I'll definitely give them a try, especially the first one and go from there.
I do prefer real books but they don't fit in your handbag sometimes and you can't carry two at the same time. I'm not sure I said I don't like e-readers though.

@Carre - These authors cant advise me how to be the best me I can be. They write their books for white men from Europe/USA/Canada/Australia - the advice is not suitable for my situation or life goals. When I need self improvement I buy a manual/guide on what I need doing - not pep talk for middle class white men.

I'll check those recommendations out - I read one Philip K Dick novel a few years ago and it was decent.

@Carre - These authors cant advise me how to be the best me I can be. They write their books for white men from Europe/USA/Canada/Australia - the advice is not suitable for my situation or life goals. When I need self improvement I buy a manual/guide on what I need doing - not pep talk for middle class white men.

I'll check those recommendations out - I read one Philip K Dick novel a few years ago and it was decent.
The content of what these books deliver is way more important than all that. The content is what you're reading and is what you learn from. As old as Dale Carnegie's book is, the content in it still applies to our day. Even though he wrote it for his old communication courses he taught back in the day, as amazing as humans work, there hasn't been much change. Any self improvement books will always be like this, there is no clear cut book you can find that would show you how to live your life, self improvement books don't strive to do that.

What they strive for is to give you content which shares what qualities, skills, ideas and experiences you should have and learn to get to a better you.

By the way, did you also read Ubik by Philip K. Dick too?

S

SOMACOON

I just got the new kindle after some arsehole (probably a Romany Gypsy) stole mine and I need some new books to read. I impulse ordered some crappy books like Stephen King and chick lit so please recommend something fresh and invigorating - fiction only.
Arsehole kulaha lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending