Bleaching, lightness and representation among Somalis

Well, Somalis are mostly a dark-skinned people, my eldest sister/youngest brother have that classic Somali phenotype, dark with sharp aqualine features, I've always felt (slightly jealous) left out when others assumed I was non-Somali, even Somalis when meeting me for the first time weren't exempt to coming to this assumption.

To me, light skin Somalis can fit in anywhere, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Mauritania etc. maybe even some parts of South America, so I was just wondering how they can represent the Somali phenotype, when they bear such resemblance to other ethnicities.
Light skin Somalis have their own look and fall within the Somali phenotype spectrum

Only Cad Cad and Barwanis etc. Look different and arab etc.

Light skin Somalis have their own look and fall within the Somali phenotype spectrum

Only Cad Cad and Barwanis etc. Look different and arab etc.

If you're a light-skin Somali, you'll be commonly mistaken for foreigner (East African Semite/MENA) or having some type of admixture, by Somalis too btw.

If you're a light-skin Somali, you'll be commonly mistaken for foreigner (East African Semite/MENA) or having some type of admixture, by Somalis too btw.
Show me a picture of a Somali person you think can be mistaken for foreigner by Somalis.

Lebron James

4 Time NBA Champion
VIP
No you can only notice bleached people if they has red/orange cheeks or hair growing around their beard area

Also if someone is insecure about their skin color thats their fault, get your confidence up. Theres no excuses for bleaching or hating on lightskin people.

Last edited:
No you can only notice bleached people if they has red/orange cheeks or hair growing around their beard area

Also if someone is insecure about their skin color thats their fault, get your confidence up. Theres no excuses for bleaching or hating on lightskin people.
Why do they have hair growing around their sideburns and beard area?

Lebron James

4 Time NBA Champion
VIP
Why do they have hair growing around their sideburns and beard area?

Knock off products flood xamar, the creams they're buying are fake and got a shit ton of side effects. I used to see them shaving their cheeks early in the morning when i was there. Its sad tbh, i used to live around an area in Sayidka that had a market of khat and majority of the women selling had red cheeks and & hair growing from the face

Knock off products flood xamar, the creams they're buying are fake and got a shit ton of side effects. I used to see them shaving their cheeks early in the morning when i was there. Its sad tbh, i used to live around an area in Sayidka that had a market of khat and majority of the women selling had red cheeks and & hair growing from the face
I saw the same thing as well. I just assumed that some were just naturally hairy and that their natural darker skin color hid it, but not that they're lighter its easier for everyone to see.

You can easily tell if someone has bleached his skin. Mostly they look ashy or have dark fingers etc and if her whole family is dark skinned then there must be something wrong with her.

I think bleaching has become so rampant that people now accuse any light skin Somali girl of bleaching.

Do you lot look at light skin Somali girls and automatically assume of the bat that she has bleached?

If Somalia was to have a thriving film/presenting industry do you think lighter skinned women should get less representation, even if they’re naturally light skin?

@Keep it a boqol πŸ’― @Nilotic @Roorigeg @Qeelbax @Aurelian
Now it's a trend to bleach skin, and there is actually a Vitamin E pill that is green in colour that Somali women use to lighten their skin, but the side effects are filthy, like it literally causes the woman to baloon in size which makes her skin stretch out causing her to appear fairer when her skin has just stretched. I recommend watching Habo Fathia Absie's video on this as she has videos of women advertising the pill and you can see the name of it there , I can't remember at the moment but yeah. But if Somalia had a film industry, which I doubt it would, then I feel like the ideal Somali woman (in society) would be used to portray this, for example the large hips and skin which is between light and dark, and a thin nose etc. I don't necessarily think that the majority of Somali women have an issue with their skin tone, nor do Somali men have a preference for lighter skin tones, in all honesty they just want a wife. But I feel like the impact of Bollywood, which uses lighter skinned actors and actresses, as the Indian beauty standard is as such, is very important on the Somali female community as now they feel the need to make themselves lighter or to have softer hair to fit that Bollywood aesthetic. Also the whole "Ana Carab" thing too has really gotten to people's minds, not just women.

My stepmum was confused for an Egyptian woman twice, and her being able to speak Arabic did not help in the slightest.

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
Shit is an epidemic, if you look at tiktok, all the girls are bleached and when a women is deemed beautiful back home, the women almost all the time is bleached. Like I have seen videos where it was a full montage of just heavily filtered and bleached women. Alhamdulillah I have seen couple darkskin somali women back home with hundreds of thousands followers on tiktok and that shushuu girl has a million I think. Good representation for darkskin girls.
And she’s the most appropriate too
:mybusiness:

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
Apparently none of us actually look Somali on this site , huh? :damedamn:

There's nothing wrong with looking Somali, buddy
I look somali. Obviously some idiots in Massachusetts think I’m ethiopian or indian but in Minnesota everyone knows I’m somali. Yemeni? I would be insulted.
:gucciwhat:

Leila

Wanaag iyo Dhiig kar
When I went back home there were these women who would mix different creams in big tubs, different creams containing all kinds of ingredients even steroids. They are not aware that these products are harmful stripping the layers of your skin.

1661716768504.jpeg

Its called qas qas and everyone who sells skin creams claims its β€˜natural and herbal’. In Nairobi and Xamar its sold in almost every shop, I told so many women that this stuff is dangerous , you can even get liver damage and infertility from this.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
I think bleaching has become so rampant that people now accuse any light skin Somali girl of bleaching.

Do you lot look at light skin Somali girls and automatically assume of the bat that she has bleached?

If Somalia was to have a thriving film/presenting industry do you think lighter skinned women should get less representation, even if they’re naturally light skin?

@Keep it a boqol πŸ’― @Nilotic @Roorigeg @Qeelbax @Aurelian
I don’t know but I think those who bleach can be distinguished by their weird looking skin?

In my parents time, any one who bleached was called out, it was a thing which ppl viewed it as ceeb and shamed any woman who done that and caused a gossip tea party among other women.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I think with that said, the general representation would have been average brown among actors if Somalia was stable. A state with regime like Siyaad barre with all its down sides will not tolerated any bleaching ad or import.

the tabloid magazines will have a section for those celeb who bleached,

Trending

Latest posts