Bleaching, lightness and representation among Somalis

I posted my arm pic a while back and these guys thought i used all the overhead lights in my house lmaoo

Somalis are extremely diverse when it comes to skin tone, even among families
true

my family is quite big but it's extremely diverse when it comes to skin tone.
3 lightskin, 2 brownskin, 2 darkskin

You can easily tell who bleach thier skin. There are many ways to tell, one Is by looking at thier knuckles and thier lips. My sister for example she is very light and has pink lips while those who bleach usually dont have it, thier times that people you have natural light skin dont have pink lips, then the other way for you to look is thier knuckles, it is usually darker then thier bleach skin
+1, biggest turn off there is

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
I told you they've evolved but in saying that, some black people were born with darker knuckles, elbows and knees.
This shit is an epidemic wallahi, look at the somali football stadium during a match the men and the women have 2 different shade of skin tone, it's a huge difference

3LetterzMM

LG gang we gon slide for my nigga 🤐🥷
Unless it’s obvious that she bleaches I won’t look at a girl and think about that. Somalis come in all types of different shades and our film industry should represent that.

3LetterzMM

LG gang we gon slide for my nigga 🤐🥷
100%, same here sxb, I don't why but a darker (ish) Xalimo would always be the ones to drive me crazy. Funnily enough, I don't have that same level of obsessive attraction with light-skinned (Somali or not) women?

My most ideal woman is the girl who played the film "desert flower", that's my preferred phenotype. :icon lol:
I’m the same way lol smooth beautiful darkskin on a girl jus hits diff

Unless they're using expensive, high end products, it's relatively easy to identify someone that has bleached; the media in the Country should showcase naturally light-skin people but they should not predominate.

I think bleaching has become so rampant that people now accuse any light skin Somali girl of bleaching.

Do you lot look at light skin Somali girls and automatically assume of the bat that she has bleached?

If Somalia was to have a thriving film/presenting industry do you think lighter skinned women should get less representation, even if they’re naturally light skin?

@Keep it a boqol 💯 @Nilotic @Roorigeg @Qeelbax @Aurelian
Tbh bleaching is really not that common with diaspora it’s more of a fob problem and it’s very noticeable as you can easily see the discolouration with the lips and tone.

For entertainment industries I guess this would be considered featurist. I would cast women with classical healthy Somali features regardless of skin tone just like how our grand parents were back in the day. Our goal is to celebrate our phenotype and promote a realistic and healthy beauty Standard.

AbdiFreedom

Humiliator in Chief
Staff Member
No one uses Diana anymore. I know a pharmacist who told me Africans, including Somalis, use hydroquinone these days and family doctors are prescribing it for non medical reasons. It's a very common.

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
Even men are bleaching now forget about women, its the new beauty standard back
home get used to it.

Laagite

الداروودي
the best looking girls in Somalia are usually the miyi ones.

dark skin
unaware of current trends
not morbidly obese/overweight

The bleach Xalimos aren't the majority in Somalia 60% of Somalis are rural alx.

Tbh bleaching is really not that common with diaspora it’s more of a fob problem and it’s very noticeable as you can easily see the discolouration with the lips and tone.

For entertainment industries I guess this would be considered featurist. I would cast women with classical healthy Somali features regardless of skin tone just like how our grand parents were back in the day. Our goal is to celebrate our phenotype and promote a realistic and healthy beauty Standard.

@Angelina Can a light-skinned Somali woman or man be considered classically Somali in regards to phenotype? Genuinely curious here:cosbyhmm:

Obviously. Why not?
Well, Somalis are mostly a dark-skinned people, my eldest sister/youngest brother have that classic Somali phenotype, dark with sharp aqualine features, I've always felt (slightly jealous) left out when others assumed I was non-Somali, even Somalis when meeting me for the first time weren't exempt to coming to this assumption.

To me, light skin Somalis can fit in anywhere, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Mauritania etc. maybe even some parts of South America, so I was just wondering how they can represent the Somali phenotype, when they bear such resemblance to other ethnicities.

Well, Somalis are mostly a dark-skinned people, my eldest sister/youngest brother have that classic Somali phenotype, dark with sharp aqualine features, I've always felt (slightly jealous) left out when others assumed I was non-Somali, even Somalis when meeting me for the first time weren't exempt to coming to this assumption.

To me, light skin Somalis can fit in anywhere, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Mauritania etc. maybe even some parts of South America, so I was just wondering how they can represent the Somali phenotype, when they bear such resemblance to other ethnicities.
I can tell when a light skin person is Somali. Heck I even tell when they're Ethiopian/Eritrean. East africans have a look. The only people i'll confuse a light skin Horner for is maybe Yemeni. That is it.

Trending

Latest posts