Black Palestinians face subtle racism in Gaza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Palestinians face subtle racism in Gaza - Gulf News

1104813464.jpg

Gaza: Black Palestinians constitute a minority of one per cent of the total population of the two million inhabitants living in Gaza Strip.

While its is difficult to accurately pin their exact origins, many say they came from Ghana, Sudan and Egypt — or at least that’s what has been passed down through their oral history.

Many first came to Palestine during the Islamic conquests as slaves to serve their owners in the seventh century.

It is also reported that another wave of Africans emigrated to Palestine in the late 19th century to work as merchants or fighters under the rule of the Ottoman Empire.

Despite their deep roots in Palestine, many still encounter racism and discrimination, although it is to a much less degree as how poorly people of colour are treated in other countries — particularly the US.

Mohammad Obaid, 26, a folklore dancer and founder of the Dabke Club for children, thinks his ancestors originally came from Sudan.

“My grandparents worked as merchants in 1948 areas, which is considered Beersheba in Israel today. They were displaced when Israel was created and we have lived in Gaza ever since,” he told Gulf News.

At least 11,000 black Palestinians live in Al Jalla’a district of Gaza in a neighbourhood called “Al Abeed” which means slaves in Arabic.

Among friends and co-workers, Obaid is known as Samara — which means dark skinned.

“I am proud of who I am, so I don’t take it in a bad way,” he said.

“I consider it to be a distinguished nickname which gives a special flavour to my personality.”

Although there is no official discriminatory policy against black Palestinians, Obaid says that subtle racism makes his life more difficult than lighter skinned Palestinians.

“If I wasn’t the best dancer, I wouldn’t be on the Dabke team,” he said.

“I always have to prove myself twice as much as others.”

Many black Palestinians are not considered for jobs that require direct communication or interaction with customers.

The majority of Palestinians do not marry black Palestinians, although recently there have been some changes in mentality.

“Where I live, people accept to marry black Palestinians, but in other areas it is strictly forbidden,” he said.

It is worse for black Palestinian women — while dark-skinned men may be able to marry light-skinned Palestinians, the reverse is mostly not accepted.

“I knew a couple who were in love but the father of the would-be groom threatened to renounce him in the newspapers. Sadly, they separated,” he said.

And Obaid says the security forces have been recently very harsh on black Palestinians.

When the cops pulled him and his friends over recently, he was the only one from the passengers pulled out for further security checks.

He took his anger out by writing a poem directed at the police entitled “Blacks are not security suspects”.

Despite facing bouts of racism, he said he never thought about leaving Gaza until recently.

“The police treatment has gotten worse, so for the first time I thought about leaving.”

But for Karama, a 34-year-old Palestinian woman, who has a black father and white mother, race has never gotten in the way of her success.

“I personally haven’t experienced any discrimination,” she told Gulf News.

“Blacks are sometimes preferred by some organisations who seek diversity.”

Karama has participated and led many different social work initiatives and ceremonies, but she acknowledges that having a white mother could be the reason.

“I know in other areas of Gaza, people are not as accepting.”

3611414220.jpg

Apollo

VIP
The Blacks in the Middle East are virtually all ex-slaves from Bantu countries. They aren't Horner or in many cases not even Nilotic. Mainly from Zanzibar (Zanj Bantus).

Atleast they aren't getting birth control pills so that their population doesn't increase like the Ethiopians on isreal gaalo racism is 20 times worse :bell:

Apollo

VIP
Atleast they aren't getting birth control pills so that their population doesn't increase like the Ethiopians on isreal gaalo racism is 20 times worse :bell:

That was more of a classist action than a racist one. Ethiopian Jews literally were illiterate peasants when they entered Israel. Most of the other Jews were highly literate and semi-rich.

If Jews were really racist, they wouldn't even let Ethiopian Jews in the first place.

Von

With blood and Iron will we reach the fatherland
You would think that when you are the most cuck people in our generation you would be above racism, i guess not.

That was more of a classist action than a racist one. Ethiopian Jews literally were illiterate peasants when they entered Israel. Most of the other Jews were highly literate and semi-rich.

If Jews were really racist, they wouldn't even let Ethiopian Jews in the first place.
If that's the case why did they give the birth control pills it doesn't make sense because the children aren't born illiterate :bell:

Apollo

VIP
If that's the case why did they give the birth control pills it doesn't make sense because the children aren't born illiterate :bell:

Poor people will raise children poorly and perpetuate the poverty cycle. Most of the eugenic efforts in the early 20th century was actually targeted at lower class white people, especially in the US.

Poor people will raise children poorly and perpetuate the poverty cycle. Most of the eugenic efforts in the early 20th century was actually targeted at lower class white people, especially in the US.
False most of it targeted blacks where do you get your information from :kodaksmiley:

The Blacks in the Middle East are virtually all ex-slaves from Bantu countries. They aren't Horner or in many cases not even Nilotic. Mainly from Zanzibar (Zanj Bantus).
There are remnants of them in Iraq and Iran . Sometimes I wonder how so many Bantus got enslaved . They like to blame and Arabs and Whites , but they also captured and sold "enemy tribes" .

Apollo

VIP
There are remnants of them in Iraq and Iran . Sometimes I wonder how so many Bantus got enslaved . They like to blame and Arabs and Whites , but they also captured and sold "enemy tribes" .

Bantus are very muscular. Even their women look muscular.

Cushites and to a lesser extent Nilotes were too skinny.

Most of the people who got sterilized in the US were criminal or low IQ whites. Remember, for every black American there are like 9 white Americans.
Yeah but the percentage of blacks that were sterilized is much higher than whites considering whites were more poor than whites plus the racism

Basically the Israeli government told Ethiopian women that they had to be sterilized in order to come to Israel :lolbron:

World

VIP
4AFB209F-7ADE-4D9E-9A9E-8C3184C69352.png

So where do you think these 1.25 million Cushitic slaves between just 1800-50 were shipped to?

That’s just 50 years, let alone the past 1000 years.

Apollo

VIP
So where do you think these 1.25 million Cushitic slaves between just 1800-50 were shipped to?

That’s just 50 years, let alone the past 1000 years.

Fake news, in all genetic studies the Black Arabs cluster towards Bantus. They don't have any Ethiopian or Somali ancestry.

World

VIP
Fake news, in all genetic studies the Black Arabs cluster towards Bantus. They don't have any Ethiopian or Somali ancestry.
superstition-of-oromo-png.21738

Millions of Horners were shipped off to Arabia especially females to be sex slaves, young men to be workers, and little boys.

There is no point rejecting these facts. I didn’t say Somali slaves either, but mainly Southern Ethiopian Cushites.

Bantus are very muscular. Even their women look muscular.

Cushites and to a lesser extent Nilotes were too skinny.
Some
Of the nilotes escaped Arab slavery due to their fierce resistance( read the treaty between the Nubians and the Arab armies ) . The Arabisation of Sudan took a very long time in comparison with other places . The Cushites and Nilotes had more advanced and cohesive warrior systems than agricultural Bantus . How do you think people like the Beja still speak their own language despite being adjacent to the Arabian peninsula while most of North Africa has been arabised ?

World , even the Somalis took Cushitic slaves in the form of Oromos . That is why you probably have groups like the Habshis in India .

Apollo

VIP
Who gives a shit what is written in some stupid unreliable book. The genetic evidence from Black Arabs shows clearly they were mostly of Bantu stock. It's set in stone. They sometimes look like Horners because they are mixed with Arabs, but their ancestry has nothing to do with the Horn of Africa. They came from the tropical parts of Bantu Africa.

World

VIP
I find it funny how it’s harder for a black women to marry a light skin arab man than the reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending