Big game hunting in Somalia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Secretary_Kerry_meets_with_Amir_of_Kuwait_%282%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

I was reading the wiki page of the Emir of Kuwait and I came across this:

"The Emir travels regularly to Oman(specifically Salalah in the Dhofar Governorate),[16] where he owns a small island[citation needed] and goes fishing for leisure. He also frequently goes to Somalia to hunt."

Does anyone have any literature on the popularity of Somalia as a hunting destination?

SirLancelLord

Reformation of Somaliland
VIP
He owns a large pot of land on the outskirts of Shiikh, Somaliland he bought a while ago where they land at Berbera and take a Chopper to his estate

Somalia still had lots of game in the 1960s. I ate gazelle, shot by the police, at Taleex; and was there to witness the aftermath of an Italian elephant hunt between Jamaame and Jilib. Several people that I knew had cheetahs for pets. The Italians protected a herd of hippos at Goobweyn and generally managed the animal resources in a conservative manner.. I remember seeing a major Italian taxidermy business in Hamar, which did not seem to impact the numbers of animals still in miyi. The big losses must have come later.

I know that Somalis did hunt dikdik, but my understanding at the time was that pastoral Somalis generally did not hunt. Perhaps because it was too difficult to make a halaal kill? I know the Police shot to wound the gazelle that we ate, and then somebody jumped off the back of a Landrover to cut the throat.

I blame the loss of forest and animal populations on the civil war and availability of AK47s. My understanding is that a large bull elephant recently crossed the border into Somalia to check it out, and then quickly returned to Kenya. I suppose he had his reasons.

:fittytousand: Grant, I demand to know what country you are from. You know way to much about Somalia to be an actual Somalian. Are you an Ayrab? A Pershit perhaps? Tell me where you are from mister! :yacadiim:

:fittytousand: Grant, I demand to know what country you are from. You know way to much about Somalia to be an actual Somalian. Are you an Ayrab? A Pershit perhaps? Tell me where you are from mister! :yacadiim:

Oakland, California. I taught English at the Government School in Jilib, 1966-67, while in the US Peace Corps. I managed to see a lot of the country and, since joining Somnet in 2005, have studied a lot of the history.

I did my 23andme recently. I am E-L29= E1b1b1c1a, which is closely related to the same Natufians that supplied the Asian elements in Somalis, only my ancestors were the first farmers to enter Europe. My mt line is U-5a2a, going back to 11,000 yr old Cheddar Man, found in the west of England. I am 100% European, with ancestors from England, France and Scandinavia, in that order.

Last edited:
Is game hunting a thing at all in Somalia? I was coincidentally watching a YT of Ibex hunting in Turkey and it looks cool.

In the UK nobody hunts (because there's nothing to hunt), but when they do it's just hunting rabbits with airsofts or trail running aka just fox hunting with bloodhounds and terriers.

Oakland, California. I taught English at the Government School in Jilib, 1966-67, while in the US Peace Corps. I managed to see a lot of the country and, since joining Somnet in 2005, have studied a lot of the history.

I did my 23andme recently. I am E-L29= E1b1b1c1a, which is closely related to the same Natufians that supplied the Asian elements in Somalis, only my ancestors were the first farmers to enter Europe. My mt line is U-5a2a, going back to 11,000 yr old Cheddar Man, found in the west of England. I am 100% European, with ancestors from England, France and Scandinavia, in that order.

What was Somalia like in those days from your experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending