Bias towards Far Wadaad/Arab Script

Libaax-Joore

Beesha haplogroup e-by8081
VIP
We should adopt osmaniya script and ditch afweyne Latin script
2620E143-FA1C-4507-B88A-C8C263AAC6A4.jpeg

Thalassocracy

سبحان اللهِ وبحمدِه Free Palestine
It's less so about bias and more about the fact that the Arabic script was seen as unsuitable to encompass all the sounds in the Somali language.

The con with adopting the arabic alphabet is that arabic has three letters that represent long vowels and three diacritic marks which represent three short vowels. In Somali on the other hand there is five short wovels and five long vowels

It doesn't matter what script Somalis use, as long as you make the adjustments to it.
Expound because I thought Somali fit Arabic perfectly

I know Farsi and Urdu augment Arabic script to fit their unique consonants

Expound because I thought Somali fit Arabic perfectly

I know Farsi and Urdu augment Arabic script to fit their unique consonants
I just explained it, the current script doesn't .

Actually the same problem applied to Farsi and Urdu , many people felt that the Arabic script was unsuitable for one reason or another, like what you mention about the consonants. But they created modifications like extra letters and subscript dots etc to correct these issues.

Som

VIP
I respectfully wanted to discuss this matter. Why is there such a bias, or large amount of disliking towards Far Wadaad? Yet, there is a large support for the latin script.

I ask because some Somalis in the west say "We're not Arabs" and use that as an argument. But we're not Europeans either, so why the support towards Latin then?
Because Latin is seen as more international and more practical. That's why I prefer latin script and that's why the language commission of Somalia decided to adopt it in 1972. You see, there's people in the Arab world who know how to read Arabic but struggle with Latin script, this makes it difficult to learn other languages especially now that most education is in English. Immagine the disaster we would have in Somalia if we had far wadaad, people would be even more illiterate than they are today

Som

VIP
youre right. but we are in the digital era. so its easier to adapt a script today. for example uyghurs they use arabic as a full blown alphabet. and kazakhs in china/xinjiang too. they made adjustments so can somalis.
Right now somalis have a standardized script. If we changed it to far wadaad people would still use latin based af soomaali cause it's much easier and has a longer recent history. I would agree with you if somalis used far wadaad often,but the truth is that it was limited to elites and started relatively recently (19th century)

Right now somalis have a standardized script. If we changed it to far wadaad people would still use latin based af soomaali cause it's much easier and has a longer recent history. I would agree with you if somalis used far wadaad often,but the truth is that it was limited to elites and started relatively recently (19th century)
We could have easily forced it down somalis throat if we wanted too. We just chose not too. I’d bet we had real answers but they are all being witheld in Russia.

Som

VIP
We could have easily forced it down somalis throat if we wanted too. We just chose not too. I’d bet we had real answers but they are all being witheld in Russia.
Maybe in 1972 that was possible. Today doing that would be a waist of time and resources. Honestly I can read af somali pretty well and have a basic Quran knowledge of Arabic letters. If we changed the script I would personally never switch to wadaad in my private communications in af somali

Maybe in 1972 that was possible. Today doing that would be a waist of time and resources. Honestly I can read af somali pretty well and have a basic Quran knowledge of Arabic letters. If we changed the script I would personally never switch to wadaad in my private communications in af somali
Private communications are completely different to official script.

You see, there's people in the Arab world who know how to read Arabic but struggle with Latin script, this makes it difficult to learn other languages especially now that most education is in English. Immagine the disaster we would have in Somalia if we had far wadaad, people would be even more illiterate than they are today
The problem there lies in education, it's not impossible to teach two scripts to a society.

Som

VIP
The problem there lies in education, it's not impossible to teach two scripts to a society.
That's true. Somalis already know the Arabic script so it would be fairly easy but the point is that this is an unnecessary waist of our time

İ think this is our least problem to worry about.

But I see that Arabic script is better for Somali language.

The Osmani script is ugly and died before it born

Trending

Latest posts