Berbera

Caaro

I do something called "what I want"
2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
I stayed in Berbera on my way back from LA and I was honestly impressed with the city. Wallahi it’s beautiful and well maintained. First thing I noticed were the roads and street signs. Their roads were super wide and clean, also they weren’t just random asphalt laid down, the edges were lined with concrete so the asphalt couldn’t be weared from the sides. There were also street signs everywhere, no entry signs, pedestrian signs, stop signs and everything.

There were the roundabouts in intersections. They obviously couldn’t afford traffic lights so they just built roundabouts in major intersections and it helps with the traffic so much. A lot better than hargeisa traffic jams.

There was also one more thing that I couldn’t put my finger on that seemed different from other somali cities. Then my brother mentioned there were no goats and livestock running around. Then it clicked, that was it lmao. He told me the mayor last year made a law that you couldn’t have your livestock roaming the streets and causing traffic jams and other stuff. He gave people a week or two and said after that point any livestock on the streets will be seized by the city.

I was seriously impressed with how well kept the city was, needless to say the mayor was also re-elected. I saw the port and it was kind of underwhelming ngl, it was too hyped up in this forum but it’s still a good port.

Only problem was how hot it was and on top of the humidity coming from the ocean. It was 40° there and I was sweating buckets. It’s hot in laascaanood too and reaches 38° but the humidity in Berbera is something else. Immediately makes you start sweating.

Overall a pretty good city and hope to see more good news from it. I won’t get to see Garowe this time around but I’ll see it next year. I’m in xamar rn and kind of tired from the travel so I’ll make a report on it in a few days.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

AA1A111E-BEFD-488E-B1EE-EF02DCAD3DD1.jpeg

CED7E48B-E86C-4B32-879F-BC7BCEF76246.jpeg

3C1E445E-EE82-4A9F-A73A-0FDBF7895469.jpeg

78E2C7AC-A109-4BDA-AA58-F33115CBDA6B.jpeg

If Berbera had the same rainfall as Hargeisa it’d have the potential for an amazing city. In fact it’d rival mogadishu and djibouti if you gave it enough time and rainfall.

Attachments

• 79CB66BD-CC02-4593-9EB1-135046B3F86E.jpeg
    79CB66BD-CC02-4593-9EB1-135046B3F86E.jpeg
    686.2 KB · Views: 57

mr steal your naag

banu hashim and shiettt
VIP
I stayed in Berbera on my way back from LA and I was honestly impressed with the city. Wallahi it’s beautiful and well maintained. First thing I noticed were the roads and street signs. Their roads were super wide and clean, also they weren’t just random asphalt laid down, the edges were lined with concrete so the asphalt couldn’t be weared from the sides. There were also street signs everywhere, no entry signs, pedestrian signs, stop signs and everything.

There were the roundabouts in intersections. They obviously couldn’t afford traffic lights so they just built roundabouts in major intersections and it helps with the traffic so much. A lot better than hargeisa traffic jams.

There was also one more thing that I couldn’t put my finger on that seemed different from other somali cities. Then my brother mentioned there were no goats and livestock running around. Then it clicked, that was it lmao. He told me the mayor last year made a law that you couldn’t have your livestock roaming the streets and causing traffic jams and other stuff. He gave people a week or two and said after that point any livestock on the streets will be seized by the city.

I was seriously impressed with how well kept the city was, needless to say the mayor was also re-elected. I saw the port and it was kind of underwhelming ngl, it was too hyped up in this forum but it’s still a good port.

Only problem was how hot it was and on top of the humidity coming from the ocean. It was 40° there and I was sweating buckets. It’s hot in laascaanood too and reaches 38° but the humidity in Berbera is something else. Immediately makes you start sweating.

Overall a pretty good city and hope to see more good news from it. I won’t get to see Garowe this time around but I’ll see it next year. I’m in xamar rn and kind of tired from the travel so I’ll make a report on it in a few days.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

View attachment 198376
View attachment 198377
View attachment 198379
View attachment 198380

If Berbera had the same rainfall as Hargeisa it’d have the potential for an amazing city. In fact it’d rival mogadishu and djibouti if you gave it enough time and rainfall.
Thats because the mayor of berbera actually does his job unlike the other guy from hargeisa. When the mayor got re elected nobody made a sound or conplained like most somalis do because he actually does his job. Iam happy the mayor of hargeisa gets replaced

Yukon_Niner

Ugaas of the supreme gentleman
VIP
That place is amazing compared to Hargeisa. Only city in SL I've been to that wasn't a trashy xaarhole or gaajo ridden iron guris. Only bad thing about it was the heat, borama was heaven in comparison.

I hope to see it grow, its got potential.

Reborn
Roundabouts are a more efficient way to direct traffic in interactions than traffic lights. It isn't a budget issue :drakekidding:

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Roundabouts are a more efficient way to direct traffic in interactions than traffic lights. It isn't a budget issue :drakekidding:
lol roundabouts can easily cause a jam if things go wrong, it also takes up a lot of space because the circle has to be big enough for cars to smoothly and efficiently turn in.

Also, it is a budget and maintenance issue. Traffic lights need constant maintaining aren’t cheap.

But you’re right, traffic lights are only good in 90° intersections where there are two intersecting traffics. There are multiple intersections coming at different angles in some spots and would need roundabouts or something.

Maybe they can hire urban planners to make the city grid-like while it’s still growing.

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Thats because the mayor of berbera actually does his job unlike the other guy from hargeisa. When the mayor got re elected nobody made a sound or conplained like most somalis do because he actually does his job. Iam happy the mayor of hargeisa gets replaced
unfortunately mayors are notorious for their corruption. It’s too easy to do under the table business as a mayor when you have less eyes on you and working with large businesses.

Hargeisa mayor doesn’t seem to care about anything lol. The city’s growing haphazardly and will do more harm than good in the near future and I’m betting whole neighborhoods will have to be uprooted and redone because you have people making houses literally everywhere instead of in a row. It’s like someone threw a rock and then built on where it lands.