Baraawe Lighthouse- Jilaani Island

Here is the link to an old short youtube video I've found interesting, in which Shaykh Jawari, a known Tunni elder, makes a tour of the Jiilani Island with the lighthouse for the Dalsoor youtube channel and talks about the history of the area.

Hamzza

VIP
Here is the link to an old short youtube video I've found interesting, in which Shaykh Jawari, a known Tunni elder, makes a tour of the Jiilani Island with the lighthouse for the Dalsoor youtube channel and talks about the history of the area.
Who built the lighthouse? Portuguese or Italian?

Who built the lighthouse? Portuguese or Italian?
Well I'm not sure and I've heard conflicting theories, most elders in baraawe, tunni and reer barwanis, say it was the portugese and that was the story my father told me too, but I've some doubts as the portugese only ruled Baraawe directly for a short time. But it is proven that the Italians were using it in the 1900's and built a bridge from Baraawe to the Island. I would say that the Italians either modernized an old portugese lighthouse or it was them who built it and I think the second theory is more likely.

Trending