Assuming Somalia was at peace, how would somaliweyn be implemented without U.S/Ethio prevention?

I agree with your cited post except for the notion that those languages could pose a threat to Swahili; none of those languages have even a fraction of speakers.
I agree, the language angle seems a bit odd. And I’m not sure why having good relations with both the horn countries and eac have to be mutually exclusive. The reasoning that “Kenya is not a friend of Somalia because they don’t speak our language and prefer relations with other Swahili countries” doesn’t makes sense.

Last edited:

mr steal your naag

banu hashim and shiettt
VIP
seriously. what do bantu countries need from us? they use kenyan and tanzanian ports. they have much more human resources than us their industrial output will outnumber ours. they dont have deserts they dont need to buy our food. i only see qat.
Litterly congo allone can feed all of africa :mjlaugh: Somalis have this weird thing were they think african countries need them while its the other way arround

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I agree with your cited post except for the notion that those languages could pose a threat to Swahili; none of those languages have even a fraction of speakers.

You are right but if Somalia and Ethiopia join the EAC, neither country will realistically adopt Swahili as a lingua franca.

Somalis and Oromo will become the biggest ethnic group in the EAC, which not ideal in a soft-power group such as the EAC.

Do you see Somalia and Somaliland ever re-uniting in the future under any circumstances?
How do you reunite with an entity from which you’ve never separated with in the first place?

“Somaliland” is and will always be an imagination and nothing more. The only reason this delusion hasn’t burst yet is because Somalia hasn’t had a government in 30 yrs. There’ll eventually be a time in the not so distant future where the rest of somalia is developing rapidly and where all the jobs & industry would be located, the residents/clique in SL can’t compete with a government with international recognition and much bigger population. This delusion will eventually die just through economics, it’s inevitable.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I agree, the language angle seems a bit odd. And I’m not sure why having good relations with both the horn countries and eac have to be mutually exclusive. The reasoning Kenya is not a friend of Somalia because they don’t speak our language and prefer relations with other Swahili countries makes sense.

Somalia has tried to enter the EAC for years but they denied us ostensibly due to civil war.

Then they admitted South Sudan, which (no offence @Nilotic ) is also in a civil war.

I agree, the language angle seems a bit odd. And I’m not sure why having good relations with both the horn countries and eac have to be mutually exclusive. The reasoning Kenya is not a friend of Somalia because they don’t speak our language and prefer relations with other Swahili countries makes sense.

South Sudan has great relations with Ethiopia and we're completely different, so I don't think language is all that consequential.

I think the Horn and the EAC could have great relations because it would be in their best interests in economic and political terms.

mr steal your naag

banu hashim and shiettt
VIP
How do you reunite with an entity from which you’ve never separated with in the first place?

“Somaliland” is and will always be an imagination and nothing more. The only reason this delusion hasn’t burst yet is because Somalia hasn’t had a government in 30 yrs. There’ll eventually be a time in the not so distant future where the rest of somalia is developing rapidly and where all the jobs would be located, the residents/clique can’t compete with a government with international recognition and much bigger population. This delusion will eventually die.
When you say the rest of somalia developing do you only mean xamar? And what makes you think SL will not develop to :silanyosmile:

Somalia has tried to enter the EAC for years but they denied us ostensibly due to civil war.

Then they admitted South Sudan, which (no offence @Nilotic ) is also in a civil war.

It's definitely inconsistent and seems to stem from a fear of groups like Al Shabab; that group orchestrated attacks on Kenyan soil, so I think that's the biggest contributing factor.

PS: No offense taken, mate. You said nothing wrong.

reer

VIP
You are right but if Somalia and Ethiopia join the EAC, neither country will realistically adopt Swahili as a lingua franca.

Somalis and Oromo will become the biggest ethnic group in the EAC, which not ideal in a soft-power group such as the EAC.
in sub saharan africa somali language is the strongest and most advanced native language. even with 30 yrs of nothing. somali is still much "stronger" than swahili.

The adoption of Swahili shouldn't even be a prerequisite or a condition for entry into the EAC. I don't think South Sudanese even want to adopt Swahili, and it's unlikely to ever make any inroads in South Sudan.

The Oromo are divided in Ethiopia and won't be able to displace the Amhara from the power centers, so they have zero chance of being a threat in a regional context.

Somalis are great at business, but you're still divided, so I don't see how and why Kenya could be threatened in that soft power sense.

Last edited:

Based

VIP

“Somaliland” is and will always be an imagination and nothing more. The only reason this delusion hasn’t burst yet is because Somalia hasn’t had a government in 30 yrs. There’ll eventually be a time in the not so distant future where the rest of somalia is developing rapidly and where all the jobs & industry would be located, the residents/clique in SL can’t compete with a government with international recognition and much bigger population. This delusion will eventually die just through economics, it’s inevitable.
Cmon mate, Somaliland is an independent country as much as I hate to say it.

Cmon mate, Somaliland is an independent country as much as I hate to say it.

da fuq…hell nah. Far from reality buddy. Those folks just know the power center of a unified country would always be in the south, no one would be talking about somaliland/independence if hargeisa was the capital. It’s just a power trip. You can’t just give every clan their own country, that will never work. But as I said no need to trip this delusion will die over time.

Do you see Somalia and Somaliland ever re-uniting in the future under any circumstances?

Yes, I do!

Hear me out, we can all agree that when Somaliland becomes independent the country it will have most connection to and most dual citizens with will be Somalia, with that said I like to use a analogy that is quite saying - lets say a Somali mother that has 2 sons, she always has to nag the little one because he don't want to do anything in the house, he drags his feet when she ask him to do something.

But then the little son has to go on a journey for, let say 3 months, well into that 3 months the mother suddenly starts to nag the older brother even though he was more likely to do what the mother wanted faster when they both where at home - "waar orod oo ii keen adeega, wale waxa kaa firfircuuna kii kale tolow goormu soo noqonayaa" and this is the guy she was complaining about for not more than 1,5 months ago and suddenly he is this angle who never hesitated to do things for her fast.

I think that will be the case with Somaliland and Somalia, after they each go their separate way - if Somaliland gets de jure recognition from Somalia then from that day, I have nothing doubt in my mind that it will be the day things change for the better for them because now their focus will be on themselves and their own affairs - the mistrust and grievances will be forgotten - how long that would take is debatable - and after some time, like the mother in my story, Somaliland will start to say good things about its old foe and the 2 mother countries will come to each other in a new agreement.

Will the agreement be like Zanzibar and Tanganyika, Macau and China or a federation like UAE or something completely different, time will tell.

But the day it could happen would have been closer if Somalia and Somaliland went their separate ways back in 1991.

Last edited:

mr steal your naag

banu hashim and shiettt
VIP
da fuq…hell nah. Far from reality buddy. Those folks just know the power center of a unified country would always be in the south, no one would be talking about somaliland/independence if hargeisa was the capital. It’s just a power trip. You can’t just give every clan their own country, that will never work. But as I said no need to trip this delusion will die over time.
If you want us to be loyal to somalia then hargeisa should be the new capital of somalia :mjlaugh: :mjdontkno:
selena just saying GIF

Inshallah there won't be any Somaliweyn cuz that's a western nationalist idea we Somalis don't know nationalism that's why for centuries every qabil ruled their own territories and no one sought for the fake unity of Somali people until those who got brainwashed by western ideas

Yukon_Niner

Ugaas of the supreme gentleman
VIP
When you say the rest of somalia developing do you only mean xamar? And what makes you think SL will not develop to :silanyosmile:
30 years and it's a bigger shithole than Mogadishu and puntland. It's just as backwards as every other Somali region.
Inshallah there won't be any Somaliweyn cuz that's a western nationalist idea we Somalis don't know nationalism that's why for centuries every qabil ruled their own territories and no one sought for the fake unity of Somali people until those who got brainwashed by western ideas
Then give everysingle qabil trying to secede independence. SL is just a form of fake unity like Somalia only it's ruled by 1 qabil while Somalia is a mishmash of warring qabils, it was literally made up by a western nation who they constantly beg for recognition every year.