are you black

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is why there was major outrage from women in the AA community when she was selected to play that black actress in that movie right. You also realize that by you hoteps claiming people who clearly do not fit the 'black' designation with the stupid one drop rule you are actually paving the way for harming and destroying the real 'black' community ??? let this guy break it down for you on how actual AAs in the black community feel about this nonsense.

why do you keep talking about african americans. black is not exclusive to them. i don't care about the one drop rule, I'm not AA. and there was outrage because when you play character you should hire someone that resembles the original person, and not someone who is not only hispanic but looks nothing like the original singer. I'm not hotep, I'm not american. the world doesn't revolve around you lot.

why do you keep talking about african americans. black is not exclusive to them. i don't care about the one drop rule, I'm not AA. and there was outrage because when you play character you should hire someone that resembles the original person, and not someone who is not only hispanic but looks nothing like the original singer. I'm not hotep, I'm not american. the world doesn't revolve around you lot.

yes it is. and no one cares about a bunch of Caribbeans who came to North America and started to appropriate their identity and culture through their music. Most of the other African diaspora identifies with their country and ethnic group only and it does not bother anyone at least in my experience. And lets be honest the reason many AAs protested that movie was because they do not see Zoe Saldana as 'black'. You believe she is even though her clear mixed heritage is there for everyone to see and shows you believe in the one drop rule. If that other actress from precious played her role there would have been no protest.

yes it is. and no one cares about a bunch of Caribbeans who came to North America and started to appropriate their identity and culture through their music. Most of the other African diaspora identifies with their country and ethnic group only and it does not bother anyone at least in my experience. And lets be honest the reason many AAs protested that movie was because they do not see Zoe Saldana as 'black'. You believe she is even though her clear mixed heritage is there for everyone to see and shows you believe in the one drop rule. If that other actress from precious played her role there would have been no protest.
what do you mean? she had to where prosthetics to look like that singer, when there were tons of AAs who resembled her a lot more. and if you don't want to consider yourself black, thats fine. just know that the word only sees black africans as just that, black.

Your logic is having my scratch my head wallah. So you using tools and designations that were rooted in white supremacy to force groups of people who come from completely different heritages and lineages together and call them uniform is you practicing self love and being true to yourself. But me disagreeing with you and refusing to identify myself along constructs created by white supremacists is me running away from my identity and being a self hater. You claim to not be a hotep but that is classic hotep logic.

Your logic is having my scratch my head wallah. So you using tools and designations that were rooted in white supremacy to force groups of people who come from completely different heritages and lineages together and call them uniform is you practicing self love and being true to yourself. But me disagreeing with you and refusing to identify myself along constructs created by white supremacists is me running away from my identity and being a self hater. You claim to not be a hotep but that is classic hotep logic.

when did i say any of that? italians, irishmen, russians, calling themselves white is self hate? what about being called black scares you? if someone called me that i wouldn't be offended.

what do you mean? she had to where prosthetics to look like that singer, when there were tons of AAs who resembled her a lot more. and if you don't want to consider yourself black, thats fine. just know that the word only sees black africans as just that, black.

That is the reason huh. :gnzbryw: So all of those people complaining on black twitter and other social media websites that a real black woman or AA woman should be playing her and Zoe Saldana herself had to eventually respond to this backlash by claiming to be 'black' as well. Most actors usually have to change their appearances by using something extreme like prosthetics to emulate historical figures. No one had any issue with Denzel playing Malcolm X even though they look nothing alike so there goes your argument.

when did i say any of that? italians, irishmen, russians, calling themselves white is self hate? what about being called black scares you? if someone called me that i wouldn't be offended.

I will wait until it happens. Hasnt happened for the more than 2 decades I have been on this planet but I am sure it is just right around the corner. Not that there is anything wrong with being identified as black at all and depending on the context I wouldnt care to correct them for it. I know you want to paint as some kind of racist or self hater but you are failing at it.

That is the reason huh. :gnzbryw: So all of those people complaining on black twitter and other social media websites that a real black woman or AA woman should be playing her and Zoe Saldana herself had to eventually respond to this backlash by claiming to be 'black' as well. Most actors usually have to change their appearances by using something extreme like prosthetics to emulate historical figures. No one had any issue with Denzel playing Malcolm X even though they look nothing alike so there goes your argument.

marcom x's facial features weren't crucial to his story or legacy. whereas nina simone's features were a very important part of her story. her wide nose and dark skin was a crucial part of her story. so to cast a lighter skinned woman with a thin nose didn't make any sense. just like how hollowed cast emma stone and scarlet johanssen to play asians doesn't make any sense.

I will wait until it happens. Hasnt happened for the more than 2 decades I have been on this planet but I am sure it is just right around the corner. Not that there is anything wrong with being identified as black at all and depending on the context I wouldnt care to correct them for it. I know you want to paint as some kind of racist or self hater but you are failing at it.
im not tbh. I'm just trying to see where your head is at. from your posts i got that you have a particular affinity for arabs, so i was low-key waiting for you to slip up. your entitled to your opinions as i am mine.

marcom x's facial features weren't crucial to his story or legacy. whereas nina simone's features were a very important part of her story. her wide nose and dark skin was a crucial part of her story. so to cast a lighter skinned woman with a thin nose didn't make any sense. just like how hollowed cast emma stone and scarlet johanssen to play asians doesn't make any sense.

Really so you are saying there would be no outrage if someone who looked like Steph Curry played Malcolm X. I am quite sure his clearly 'black' features played a big role in his life and the identity forced on him by the society. Your example is also ridiculous because those are two completely different races that would contradict the entire white supremacist race construct whereas the example I gave you doesnt thanks to the stupid one drop rule.

Really so you are saying there would be no outrage if someone who looked like Steph Curry played Malcolm X. I am quite sure his clearly 'black' features played a big role in his life and the identity forced on him by the society. Your example is also ridiculous because those are two completely different races that would contradict the entire white supremacist race construct whereas the example I gave you doesnt thanks to the stupid one drop rule.
steph curry is basically a white person with curly hair to me lol. so obviously. denzel was close enough not to piss people off.

the one drop rule is retarded imo.

im not tbh. I'm just trying to see where your head is at. from your posts i got that you have a particular affinity for arabs, so i was low-key waiting for you to slip up. your entitled to your opinions as i am mine.

I honestly dont know where you got that from. I have no affinity for Arabs or other ethnicities and only care for the deen and my Muslim brothers and sisters. A lot of AAs have embraced the deen and are entering it at a rapid rate mashallah especially in my city. There are people here who call me despicable things like 'Arab bootyclapper' because I am not a believer in their nationalist and communist ideologies. Dont listen to them.

I honestly dont know where you got that from. I have no affinity for Arabs or other ethnicities and only care for the deen and my Muslim brothers and sisters. A lot of AAs have embraced the deen and are entering it at a rapid rate mashallah especially in my city. There are people here who call me despicable things like 'Arab bootyclapper' because I am not a believer in their nationalist and communist ideologies. Dont listen to them.
i won't, I'm new here so ill refrain from pre judging you. don't AAs believe in some weird version of islam?

i won't, I'm new here so ill refrain from pre judging you. don't AAs believe in some weird version of islam?

Yeah the NOI and the 5%ers. Its not Islam and contradicts many of the core tenets. But alhamdulilah many of them are guided from it to the truth eventually though salafism appeals to a lot of them and reverts in general because of its widespread media presence and how well funded it is. That is a problem traditional Muslims need to address and deal with accordingly.

paragon

Keeping it Real Since 01/01/90
Race does not exist as you know it. It's a social construct invented by Europeans. As an OCD group they had to label everything from flora to fauna and they took it a step further with humans. They did this to assert some sort of special catagory for themselves and labelled others in reference to themselves. You see cadaans are more closer to each other. They came from a bottle neck population and most of them can share a common ancestor from as close as 1000 years ago. How about I tell you a Xabeshi is more distantly related to us (3000 years apart) than two Europeans are to each other. Similarly, Horners are 40,000 years apart from West Africans. Europeans should not project their experience on to people that are different from them. And there isn't a universal African phenotype. There are South Asians with greater prognathism than Africans. Same goes for East Asians. People with the broadest features in the world aren't even African, rather they are Australoids from Papua New Guinea. They also have dark skin and often have afro-textured hair. Yet they are genetically further from Africans than Europeans are. In resisting the 'black label' which is a European invention we are saying we don't want to be an arbitrary color that is not imbued with our unique lived experience as Somalis. We resist all other color labels too and are not trying to create linkages to people we don't share much in common with. Yes; there is a binary. You are either black or Somali. You cannot be both, as there is only room for one or the other. Black is arbitrary in Africa. It has little to no meaning there. To accept others as apart of your group is to face extinction in the continent - look at the pygmies, san (each of these groups clustered away from other Africans bari hore, many of them have been assimilated by hostile groups and are nearly gone). Ask someone back home and I'm positive they will agree with me that they are Somali and not black, rather the term madow refers to non-Horners/non-Somalis. To the AA wanabes and hoteps, stop projecting your chip-on-the-shoulder experience you acquired from N. America on to other Somalis that don't have the same grievances.

Last edited:
In the Neighbourhood i'm from Somalis have beef with a lot of Nigerians and Jamaicans , we call them 'The madows' regardless of country of origin , we basically catergorized them as an outgroup , same way we catergorize other races/ethnic groups , also the older generation call them 'madows'. Keep in mind Somalis didn't have a conference one day and decide that they will reject madow people and the category of madow , this just happened naturally , it's an intuition Somalis have when it comes to their identity. I personally don't identify as black , but if you wanna be pragmatic and calling yourself black helps you socially or politically then knock yourself out.

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
Race does not exist as you know it. It's a social construct invented by Europeans. As an OCD group they had to label everything from flora to fauna and they took it a step further with humans. They did this to assert some sort of special catagory for themselves and labelled others in reference to themselves.

Essentially yes. Eugenics as we know it was a 19th century concept, and it's insemination into mainstream society debuted somewhere in the early 1900's. It's stranglehold on how races viewed themselves is more or less imaginary as people quickly realized that DNA breakdowns were absorptive rather than pure. And let's not sugar coat it; They did it to assert their racial dominance.

You see cadaans are more closer to each other. They came from a bottle neck population and most of them can share a common ancestor from as close as 1000 years ago. How about I tell you a Xabeshi is more distantly related to us (3000 years apart) than two Europeans are to each other. Similarly, Horners are 40,000 years apart from West Africans. Europeans should not project their experience on to people that are different from them.

Will definitely have to concretely prove those claims tbh, fam. The genetic dispersion among African groups is already a hot button topic with embarrassingly flawed source material. I know. Accidentally did a 30 minute seminar detailing the genetic results for King Ramses III with a debunked source before the autosmal compilations were done. But we are in agreement as far as Europeans asserting their experiences on others. The problem is they already have and ironically enough at this point seem to refrain from doing so.

And there isn't a universal African phenotype. There are South Asians with greater prognathism than Africans. Same goes for East Asians. People with the broadest features in the world aren't even African, rather they are Australoids from Papua New Guinea. They also have dark skin and often have afro-textured hair. Yet they are genetically further from Africans than Europeans are.

Again I need your sourcing. Both of their DNA breakdown and the claim that Europeans are genetically closer to Africans than they are. From what I can gather a wave migration from Australia is being primarily linked to most of the indigenous living in and around South America. I legit can't find their autosmal breakdown or a competent DNA analysis anywhere.

What I have found on them so far however is their migration linkages. Which isn't all that surprising.

In resisting the 'black label' which is a European invention we are saying we don't want to be an arbitrary color that is not imbued with our unique lived experience as Somalis.

Who genuinely wants to be an arbitrary color? This frankly makes me chuckle. The idea that people (who live in diasporas as they have fled war-torn nations) can merely shrug off the categorizing created by people who still thoroughly dominate. I mean, yeah. Reject it. But literally so what? Will it at all change census taking, or how your interviewee would see you if you lived in NA? No, I certainly think it wouldn't.

We resist all other color labels too and are not trying to create linkages to people we don't share much in common with. Yes; there is a binary. You are either black or Somali. You cannot be both, as there is only room for one or the other. Black is arbitrary in Africa. It has little to no meaning there.

Here's the rudimentary issue with this analysis; it's incomplete and generally contradictory. At first you state that black and Somali are mutually exclusive terms (even though we've already discussed the relevant, though flawed, concept of racial designation over ethnic identification), however, you go on to shrug off the black label entirely in the continent it was originally used to describe. A continent the terminology has its origins forever intertwined with.

The question is simple: How can such a flippant terminology with no real bounds in Africa have some unyielding effect on ethnic self-identification. If it is indeed a social-construct, and arbitrarily designated within Africa, than why would there be a compromising relationship with ethnic identity in any way, shape, or form?

These social constructs obviously carry specific connotations depending on the region you live in, so accepting the label should by your own definition be entirely region based, and society-specific.

To accept others as apart of your group is to face extinction in the continent - look at the pygmies, san (each of these groups clustered away from other Africans bari hore, many of them have been assimilated by hostile groups and are nearly gone).

See this is essentially where the meat of the problem lies; our diverging comprehension of nuance and evolution as a whole. With the advent of the internet and globalization, isn't is somewhat ludicrous to still maintain that ethnic extinction is even a remote fear?

Ask someone back home and I'm positive they will agree with me that they are Somali and not black

No offence, but who cares? A country decimated by colonization, clan warfare, and war isn't exactly the hotspot to go for discussing the evolution of racial connotation. Nor is it exactly the generality of your argument is that you're Somali as your first and only ethnic or racial identifier, and it is a nation you likely don't have citizenship in and likely will not be returning to.

My father is indignantly against being labeled black in any way shape or form. Didn't exactly stop the cop in Columbus from calling him a , nor does it stop censuses from typing him down as African Canadian.

rather the term madow refers to non-Horners/non-Somalis. To the AA wanabes and hoteps, stop projecting your chip-on-the-shoulder experience you acquired from N. America on to other Somalis that don't have the same grievances.

I... wouldn't say you don't have grievances in this department in the slightest. You seem genuinely perturbed by any and all notions of being labeled black to any extent. While not a chip on a shoulder, it's equally irritating. But again, you clearly touched on North America, it's experiences, and how people will view themselves from region to region.

My country is technically not even 200 years old as far as its government is concerned. So any and all perceptions of race were dictated as immigration swelled in the 40's, 50's, and 60's. And without the same history of racism and slavery, it's pretty easy to see how simply having races like white, black, south asian, middle eastern, native, other would be incredibly easy for a country to just follow through on. And how certain people could feel comfortable after checking the box after so many years.

Because that's all race breaks down for to me. Wouldn't call that a chip-on-the-shoulder at all.

But again, Somalis are and will always be proud folk who view themselves as country first. The second categorization of race shouldn't really matter all that much if the first is still genuinely strong. And for me it is, as I believe it is for you.

And please link any DNA findings you have. Genuinely curious on those breakdowns.

Prototype

Heads high
Yes im black

giphy.gif

8Lglal0.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending