Status
Not open for further replies.

Figo

|Garowe|Jalam|Galkacyo|
VIP
Yes im black

giphy.gif
This.:denzelnigga:

Nope. And I have never been claimed by AA a one of them either. Does not mean I cannot be sympathetic to their plight or that I stand with their oppressors because I dont claim to be apart of their ethnicity.

for those on here who scream "I'm not black! look at my caucasian nose!" "some racist white guy called us caucasian we we must be secretly white!" BLACK = Sub saharan african. you can call yourself african or black, it means the same thing in the states. european somalis think their arab so lets not go there.

calling yourself black is more accurate then calling yourself caucasian or arab. even typing that out made me itch. y'all are delusional walahi.

Bielsa

Free Wi-Fi > Free Palestine
VIP
for those on here who scream "I'm not black! look at my caucasian nose!" "some racist white guy called us caucasian we we must be secretly white!" BLACK = Sub saharan african. you can call yourself african or black, it means the same thing in the states. european somalis think their arab so lets not go there.

calling yourself black is more accurate then calling yourself caucasian or arab. even typing that out made me itch. y'all are delusional walahi.

I'm a Somali.

Ridiculous argument. :Sutehja:

Idgaf what a white guy says who we are. Its just funny that a racist white guy calls us caucasian. White and black people are really only valid in the US. Everywhere else in the world people are known by their nationality.

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
Nope. And I have never been claimed by AA a one of them either. Does not mean I cannot be sympathetic to their plight or that I stand with their oppressors because I dont claim to be apart of their ethnicity.

race. you're not claiming to be a part of their race. the black category (or even african american for that matter) never eliminates your ethnic origin which most people primarily identify themselves as in the first place.

I'm Somali. Why should we take the cadaan designation? we define ourselves.

race. you're not claiming to be a part of their race. the black category (or even african american for that matter) never eliminates your ethnic origin which most people primarily identify themselves as in the first place.

Do you even live in the US or are around AAs. It is common knowledge at least around these parts black = AA only. Even Nigerians and other West Africans are referred to as 'Africans' by the AAs themselves and when they are talking about 'black folk' they are talking only about themselves.

and I disagree with you that most people primarily identify themselves with their ethnic origins. Many of these somali sjws who have issues with their identity gladly wear the black label and would love to be seen as nothing more then simply another AA.

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
I live in Canada, so generally speaking the racial breakdowns aren't that different. Here the black label is just a label. Something used in a census to describe darker people from Afro-Carribean countries. That's the way it was described to me, and I was never made to feel I couldn't identify as such. It was so vague practically anyone from an African country could slide in (except for North Africa I suppose).

Perhaps things aren't the same as the US where racism is still so rampant, however, most Somalis here identify themselves as Somali first and foremost (as I do), and then as black afterwards (some don't take the second step). And that goes for pretty much everyone else.

I may need to look closely at America's racial atmosphere. I'm willing to admit the nuances are deeper than I originally imagined.

I'm Somali. Why should we take the cadaan designation? we define ourselves.
the question was "do you consider yourself black" the word "black" has a definition in countries like the states. if you ask if i think I'm black your automatically asking me about my race and not my ethnicity. somali is your ethnicity, black is your race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts