Are We Just The Puny and Insignificant Humans We Think We Are?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Friends,

Often times people tend to have this strong drive to do the things they want to do. The drive could last for a week, a month, perhaps even years, what's more important is that the drive to do the things we want to do is there anyway. However, sometimes this drive evaporates, and a person is left continuing the things he/she were doing, but feeling an empty void inside. The "void" is usually this unexplained feeling of, "No matter what I do today, it won't matter in the long run. My actions will not even leave a scratch of a difference on this world anyway." From there on, they fall into the spiral of completely giving up, and rescinding past the life they had taken time and effort to build for themselves.

I feel like this has happened to a lot of us in our lives at some point. Hell, it happened to me too! And if it hasn't happened to you yet, then I pray it won't and you can continue on your drive to get your best self.

But why? Why do we fall in this dark void of hopelessness?

There's a short story I had read a long time ago, I think was titled "The Star Fish Thrower". In the story, there was a young girl playing by the shore in a nearby beach. While running around, she encountered a huge area filled with thousands of star fishes that had sadly washed away on shore. Feeling bad for the star fishes, she was determined to throw back every single one of the star fishes into the sea. One by one, she picked up a star fish, and threw it away. Nearby was an old man watching her, puzzled at her actions and determination. There were thousands of these star fishes! How could she possibly think she could clear them all by herself?

So the old man had approached the little girl and said, "Little girl, why do this? You won't make a difference at all, there are too many star fishes here and it would take you years to complete this task. You should go home." Upon hearing this, the little girl was visibly sadden, and had sulked over, walking away. She had then stopped in her tracks, and picked up another star fish, and threw it back to the sea. Looking back to the old man, she said, "See old man? I made a difference to that star fish!" The old man shaken by her determination, had decided to help her. Soon after, more and more pass-byers had witnessed what the little girl and the old man were doing, and helped them as well. Within hours, the shore was clear of all the star fishes.

I feel as though we sometimes come to the epiphany of how large our world is, and just how small and insignificant we are as humans. There are 7bn+ of us out here, with everyone of us living different lives, holding different opinions, and all 7bn+ of us having different goals in life. When Man first set foot on the Moon, just how insignificant must he had felt seeing our world as a small blue pearl of life from hundreds of thousands of kilometers away? But do you think that thought must have run through their heads?

Nope. The thought in their heads at that point was much different. On this little blue pearl full of life, there were billions of other Men and Women, all from different countries, ethnicities, cultures, traditions and religions. The little marble hundreds of thousands of kilometers away held all kinds of life, yet as insignificant and puny as humans are, we were able to do all these great things. Are the Humans who mapped 10^27 kilometers in area of the observable universe this insignificant? Humans that mapped their entire planet and the planet of Mars? Humans that had made a platform for which all and every possible piece of information anyone could ever want, would be at the grasp of our tiny fingers? Humans that had made it possible to make instant communication with each other thousands of kilometers away?

Remember, we're greater than that. We are one of the best creations Allah (s.w.t) had created, and even if you aren't Muslim, that's OK! You can probably recognize that were more advanced than the other species of animals we share this little globe with. Our tribes, clans, ethinicties, and all these labels to which we divide ourselves upon do not matter in the grand scheme of things.

What really matters in one thing:

What can you offer to the world in your path of becoming the best version of yourself?

What will the scratch you leave on our world be?

Mckenzie

We star in movies NASA pay to watch
VIP
I think perspective always changes and what seemed strange or different may not feel so strange or different now..

Basically what i got out of this is if you did not go to space or make some sort of map of it, You ain't shit. What about the rest of us normal people who will live and die working blue collar jobs? How significant is our existence? I hope I am not infecting you with my nihilist vibes, sorry about that

simulacrum

Neo-Darwinist
Basically what i got out of this is if you did not go to space or make some sort of map of it, You ain't shit. What about the rest of us normal people who will live and die working blue collar jobs? How significant is our existence? I hope I am not infecting you with my nihilist vibes, sorry about that

Basically yeah! Op saying if you don't leave behind a legacy you're basically a loser and a bum or you're intellectually inept.

My nigs. You should definitely research Absurdism. It provides a more realistic and reasonable reason for existing and seeking knowledge without selling out on some candy ass religious doctrine.

Albert Camus - The Myth of Sisyphus is a must read for all people who are going through an existential crisis or are simply just interested in this branch of philosphy. Its honestly a life saviour for me. :nvjpqts:

I think perspective always changes and what seemed strange or different may not feel so strange or different now..

That's true friend. Sometimes our overall goals tends to change over time, as we grow as an individual. However no matter how much a person grows and changes, I believe the "drive" that pushes one to do something doesn't change at all. It only fluctuates.

Basically yeah! Op saying if you don't leave behind a legacy you're basically a loser and a bum or you're intellectually inept.

Nope, that is not what I was going for friends. Everything we do, any actions we perform, the interactions we leave with people, all leave a "change" that wasn't there in the beginning. Even simple things like complimenting someone, or perhaps giving a piece of small advice to a friend in need will leave a type of scratch implying. You do not have to build a map, nor travel to space to be "shit". Hoping to be recognized by people for your actions is in my opinion the wrong reason to do things. You should do things because you want to do them.

Better yourself for you.
Help others for you.

My nigs. You should definitely research Absurdism. It provides a more realistic and reasonable reason for existing and seeking knowledge without selling out on some candy ass religious doctrine.

Albert Camus - The Myth of Sisyphus is a must read for all people who are going through an existential crisis or are simply just interested in this branch of philosphy. Its honestly a life saviour for me. :nvjpqts:

Absurdism is an interesting philosophy concept I've read on. Depending on how you follow it, I find those that accept the absurd in this world and continue living, would soon turn into Stoicism after.

In the end, the glass cup was always broken.

That's true friend. Sometimes our overall goals tends to change over time, as we grow as an individual. However no matter how much a person grows and changes, I believe the "drive" that pushes one to do something doesn't change at all. It only fluctuates.

Nope, that is not what I was going for friends. Everything we do, any actions we perform, the interactions we leave with people, all leave a "change" that wasn't there in the beginning. Even simple things like complimenting someone, or perhaps giving a piece of small advice to a friend in need will leave a type of scratch implying. You do not have to build a map, nor travel to space to be "shit". Hoping to be recognized by people for your actions is in my opinion the wrong reason to do things. You should do things because you want to do them.

Better yourself for you.
Help others for you.
I dig where you are coming from sxb. Definitely some much needed positive energy on this site

Status
Not open for further replies.