Are there any engineers on this site

Status
Not open for further replies.

D2HUM8L31NE

I don't care
I am really interested in mechanical engineering I love making cool projects i also don't care about the pay I just wanna a do it ,

The degree will take three years (but who's counting) and I will probably continue to a advanced mechanical degree then go to electrical engineering

So i was wondering if any of you know anything bad or good about this sector

Also mods I don't know if this is the right place to post this

I am really interested in mechanical engineering I love making cool projects i also don't care about the pay I just wanna a do it ,

The degree will take three years (but who's counting) and I will probably continue to a advanced mechanical degree then go to electrical engineering

That sounds like time wasting to me, could you explain why you'd do that?

D2HUM8L31NE

I don't care
That sounds like time wasting to me, could you explain why you'd do that?
Mechanical and electrical are the holy grail if you have both companies would rush to choose you over hundreds of other applicants also i wanna start an llc (private company basically) to generate an extra 30k (estimate) doing a broad range of services (home security , automation , laser cutting , 3d design and much more

D2HUM8L31NE

I don't care
Finding the first job is difficult. The pay gets better with experience.
I have been researching universities that provide this degree and I personally wanna stay in my city but I guess employment would be a lot easier if i go to a big name university like oxford or Cambridge since I can't go to the states with all the trump laws

@D2HUM8L31NE

I admire your ambition - keep that attitude and mentality.

As for engineering, you'll have to take it steady and set clear milestones in this general order:

1. BEng degree in chosen field (Mech. or Electromech. in your case)
2. MSc or MEng - this is important (see point 3)
3. Join an Engineering Institution as associate and pay their sub. fees - you must have an MSc or MEng for you to attain chartership with an Eng. institution
4. Work (regardless of pay) as a graduate for an engineering company - bonus if they carry out formal professional development
5. Seek/get assigned a mentor
6. Work 4 - 6 years and build a porfolio - KEEP STEADY CONTACT WITH MENTOR
7. Apply for professional Chartership and prep. for interview and presentation
8. Once you are a Chartered Engineer, the doors are fully open for you - clients the world over and your peers view you as a competent engineer.
7. See salary skyrocket

You can now begin to get your paperwork in order as a contractor or start your own business.

Remember to humble yourself as graduate, and ignore the size of salary packages being offered. Technically as a graduate you are not an engineer and aren't viewed as such. Be patient for 5 years and you will reap the benefits down the line.

Good luck bro.

D2HUM8L31NE

I don't care
@D2HUM8L31NE

As for engineering, you'll have to take it steady and set clear milestones in this general order:

3. Join an Engineering Institution as associate and pay their sub. fees - you must have an MSc or MEng for you to attain chartership with an Eng. institution
4. Work (regardless of pay) as a graduate for an engineering company - bonus if they carry out formal professional development
8. Once you are a Chartered Engineer, the doors are fully open for you - clients the world over and your peers view you as a competent engineer.
7. See salary skyrocket

You can now begin to get your paperwork in order as a contractor or start your own business.

Remember to humble yourself as graduate, and ignore the size of salary packages being offered. Technically as a graduate you are not an engineer and aren't viewed as such. Be patient for 5 years and you will reap the benefits down the line.

Good luck bro.
Thanks man , just what I needed to know

Depends what country your in and region, the sector could be growing, stagnating or declining. Also number of jobs in that field varies from city to city. Some cities and regions have a big manufacturing sector while others not so much. So if your willing to move then you should be fine. Check out your countries future engineering employment outlook for the next decade.

By advanced, do you mean masters? I don't know your education system but in Canada you can do a 1 or 2 year master's in engineering. Instead of doing a master's in mechanical then a masters in electrical you should do a master's in electrical engineering after you finish bachelor degree in mechanical.

If you mean masters, then I'd say you do that after you get some experience in the field. I talked to a couple master's students and they say it's best to do master's once your in the field for some time then you'd know where to specialize in and know your area of interest.

D2HUM8L31NE

I don't care
Depends what country your in and region, the sector could be growing, stagnating or declining. Also number of jobs in that field varies from city to city. Some cities and regions have a big manufacturing sector while others not so much. So if your willing to move then you should be fine. Check out your countries future engineering employment outlook for the next decade.

By advanced, do you mean masters? I don't know your education system but in Canada you can do a 1 or 2 year master's in engineering. Instead of doing a master's in mechanical then a masters in electrical you should do a master's in electrical engineering after you finish bachelor degree in mechanical.

If you mean masters, then I'd say you do that after you get some experience in the field. I talked to a couple master's students and they say it's best to do master's once your in the field for some time then you'd know where to specialize in and your area of interest.
Thx for the input I live in the UK so is the sector dying?

Also I get to do 1 year of working with a company after I do mechanical so would that be enough

D2HUM8L31NE

I don't care
@D2HUM8L31NE

7. See salary skyrocket

Good luck bro.
Hey I was checking my local university and they offer a three year course for beng I was wondering how long the meng or MSC ( which one is better) is going to take

Thx for the input I live in the UK so is the sector dying?

Also I get to do 1 year of working with a company after I do mechanical so would that be enough
I don't think the whole of the UK's manufacturing sector dying but I assume there are regions that are doing better and other's getting worse. Check your regional engineering employment outlook report for the UK. Something like this https://engineerscanada.ca/sites/default/files/Labour-Market-2015-e.pdf
But don't worry about that, most likely you'll be fine.

Depends if that 1 year gives you real experience in the field, which I doubt. If it's just sitting behind the desk doing Autocad everyday then you didn't have enough exposure. I'd say atleast 3 years would give you a good sense of the field you'd want to specialize in.

Hey I was checking my local university and they offer a three year course for beng I was wondering how long the meng or MSC ( which one is better) is going to take

MEng (Master of Engineering) is a comprehensive program equivalent to a combined bachelors and masters in your chosen degree field. It's a continuous 4 year program (unless you decide to take industry experience gap after your second year) - meaning you graduate once with MEng on your degree certificate.

MSc (Master of Science) is separate from your BEng and gives you the option of being flexible with your post-graduate study (both in terms of program and location) e.g. Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering and an MSc in something different like Engineering Management and at a different Uni if you choose so. Unlike MEng, you'll graduate twice. Caveat here is that the road to BEng + MSc tends to be more expensive than the comprehensive MEng program.

Both are viewed as equivalent by Engineering institutions so the balls in your court.

D2HUM8L31NE

I don't care
MEng (Master of Engineering) is a comprehensive program equivalent to a combined bachelors and masters in your chosen degree field. It's a continuous 4 year program (unless you decide to take industry experience gap after your second year) - meaning you graduate once with MEng on your degree certificate.

MSc (Master of Science) is separate from your BEng and gives you the option of being flexible with your post-graduate study (both in terms of program and location) e.g. Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering and an MSc in something different like Engineering Management and at a different Uni if you choose so. Unlike MEng, you'll graduate twice. Caveat here is that the road to BEng + MSc tends to be more expensive than the comprehensive MEng program.

Both are viewed as equivalent by Engineering institutions so the balls in your court.
So the meng is a separate 4 year course damm

So the meng is a separate 4 year course damm

Both are 4 years.

MEng = 4 years one subject e.g. Electrical Engineering
BEng + MSc = 4 = 3 + 1 respectively (Electrical Engineering + MSc in something else e.g. advanced Electrical Engineering or Power Systems)

Hope I'm a bit clearer.

Isn't M.Eng more geared towards the industry and thus more practical. I'd say this is best for what @D2HUM8L31NE is planning to do.

While M.Sc. is for those that want to do research and theoretical work. This is better for those that want to do Ph.D. and research.

D2HUM8L31NE

I don't care
Both are 4 years.

MEng = 4 years one subject e.g. Electrical Engineering
BEng + MSc = 4 = 3 + 1 respectively (Electrical Engineering + MSc in something else e.g. advanced Electrical Engineering or Power Systems)

Hope I'm a bit clearer.
Yeah I'm gonna pick MSC because I can also do electrical engineering as well

As always thank you bro you have been the most helpful person in this site to take your precious time to educate a guy on the internet may Allah bless you

Isn't M.Eng more geared towards the industry and thus more practical. I'd say this is best for what @D2HUM8L31NE is planning to do.

While M.Sc. is for those that want to do research and theoretical work. This is better for those that want to do Ph.D.

That can be true if you choose to follow the research career path - MSc is more beneficial for that.

In the case of @D2HUM8L31NE, his options are open, since he can get chartered with either one.

I'm biased toward MSc because it give you the option of expanding your engineering knowledge by picking something slightly different to your degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts