Are their Hindi loanwords in Somali ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
9tkMUUH.png
In Somali it has nothing to do with steam/trains/vapour its just a regular car.

Hmm I may have confused you with another Ethiopian user... :cosbyhmm:
I don't think so, the other's a female, and the other literally has a fight every day:icon lol:.
That seems like a bit of a stretch
The French/Italian part? I know babur is obviously a loanword because Amharic wouldn't really have it's own word for train, and it's from Arabic I am guessing.
The French/Italian part I don't really know, but with French pronunciation it would sound close. We also normally substitute 'b' for 'v' in these languages.

Edit
Means car in Somali, thought it meant train like us

xisaabiye

Ibnu Suxuufi Ibnu Al Dhoobe
I don't think so, the other's a female, and the other literally has a fight every day:icon lol:.

The French/Italian part? I know babur is obviously a loanword because Amharic wouldn't really have it's own word for train, and it's from Arabic I am guessing.
The French/Italian part I don't really know, but with French pronunciation it would sound close. We also normally substitute 'b' for 'v' in these languages.

Arabs don't call a train baabuur, the root word for train in arabic is three letter qaaf taa & raa.
Also if they did in the past, it still doesn't relate at all. We refer to all automobiles(trains, planes, cars etc) collectively as gaadiid

In somali we have words like fiiq, diiq, jiir, cir that are all used in arabic with different meaning. It's just the letters & vowel movements of the languages are the same that's why you find the similar words

Arabs don't call a train baabuur, the root word for train in arabic is three letter qaaf taa & raa.
Also if they did in the past, it still doesn't relate at all. We refer to all automobiles(trains, planes, cars etc) collectively as gaadiid

In somali we have words like fiiq, diiq, jiir, cir that are all used in arabic with different meaning. It's just the letters & vowel movements of the languages are the same that's why you find the similar words

I edited my post:icon lol:

xisaabiye

Ibnu Suxuufi Ibnu Al Dhoobe
Is there a Somali word for train?

Let us reach that stage:dead: I came up with a word few years ago Digdigleh( moves in haste) . Waryaadha degdeglayda hala iijoojiyo:pachah1:

When the darawiish were airbombed by the english they used to call a plane shimbir...It sounds funny when you think about it, but today we call it diyaarad which is arabic for plane whose root word in arabic is also bird :damn:. We should go back to calling it shimbir:banderas:

Let us reach that stage:dead: I came up with a word few years ago Digdigleh( moves in haste) . Waryaadha degdeglayda hala iijoojiyo:pachah1:

When the darawiish were airbombed by the english they used to call a plane shimbir...It sounds funny when you think about it, but today we call it diyaarad which is arabic for plane whose root word in arabic is also bird :damn:. We should go back to calling it shimbir:banderas:
I agree, I prefer indigenous names like shimbir over diyaarad.

I looked up the Somali word for train on google translate and got tareenka :tacky:

Almaany like many translation sites is a weird site. It's also giving silsila which means a chain & musalsal which means a series, usually used for a series of drama shows kkkk
It's probably giving dialectal translations too that's why, it essentially means steam (and engine in Tunisian Arabic, and train in Moroccan etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending