Are their Hindi loanwords in Somali ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xisaabiye

Ibnu Suxuufi Ibnu Al Dhoobe
So its a Somali loanword they took from us?

Lakin, dukan and babur are arabic words.

kkk it's my suugo science, I'm giving any excuse for it not to be a loanword:icon lol:. Back in the day there used to be a group of linguists who would somalize any new thing that was brought into the language. For example a satellite dish was called Dayax gacmeed(Moon with arms:cryinglaughsmiley:)

kkk it's my suugo science, I'm giving any excuse for it not to be a loanword:icon lol:. Back in the day there used to be a group of linguists who would somalize any new thing that was brought into the language. For example a satellite dish was called Dayax gacmeed(Moon with arms:cryinglaughsmiley:)
Lol it makes sense though. I wish they still did that I would prefer it over the english names and signage all over the place.
@embarassing I never heard baabuur in arabic, arabs use siyaara or arabiya for car. I think baabuur is 100% authentic somali.
I always thought it was an arabic word, gonna have to look it up and double check.

Lol it makes sense though. I wish they still did that I would prefer it over the english names and signage all over the place.

I always thought it was an arabic word, gonna have to look it up and double check.
9tkMUUH.png

xisaabiye

Ibnu Suxuufi Ibnu Al Dhoobe
That seems like a bit of a stretch

It's a huge stretch. Theres alot of words that exist in somali that are used in arabic or other languages that are completely different in meaning. Even the word bakhti, there's bakht in arabic which has a different meaning. You can't take that and assume immediately it has an arabic root.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts