Anyone with experiences of mental health in our community?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad developed some serious mental health problems when i was younger which he denied for so long and the fact that he would rather talk to himself than to take his meds or go see the doctor meant for the longest time I hated him.

I couldn't understand how someone could rather pretend to themselves that they are ok than to do something about. My mum is the one who held us all down, working 2 jobs whilst looking after all of us even though we have many family members that live in the city who did nothing. Some of them actually campaigned for social services to take us but my mum is a boss and knew how to play the system.

Alhamdullilah now my dad has gotten the help he needs and gone back to being the hero in my eyes who made my childhood great. All my siblings alhamdullilah are bosses or bosses in the making whilst the the rest of the family have 30 year old kids who didn't pass their GCSEs(high school exams) and live off the bank of mum and dad still.

Ps the same pricks have the audacity to ask me to marry one of their daughters. Rather be single for life.

Heyyall

Just keeping it real
Mental health in the Somali community is very tricky you hear all this propaganda from Somalis telling you not to seek help smh

SumMo

very lowkey
If his mental disorder didn’t make him mentally or physically abusive, then alhamdullilah. I understand the pain so well. I have been there too. When your the child, you feel like it’s such a selfish move from their part.:uCkf6mf:

How did his mental health affect him and you? Also when did he develope them? Did he have it by the time you were born or did it develope later? Since your childhood is your most precious time in your life. It shapes you as a woman/man. So if he developed them later, you are one lucky brother. All praise be Allah(swt).
:kendrickcry:

And masha’Allah. Good to know you all came out of it as bosses! Makes me happy to hear. Allah(swt) truly is the greatest creator!

163E8BB9-799D-45FE-929C-7C7E9753210E.jpeg

Mental health in the Somali community is very tricky you hear all this propaganda from Somalis telling you not to seek help smh
Some people who were told not to get help and were only treated to help from Deen went on to commit murders or self harm.

Muji

VIP
@AliUK I’m glad your father sought treatment in the end.

The older generation survived a war and then were plucked from their country and placed in a new environment where they couldnt even speak the language.

A lot of Somali diaspora problems are underlined by mental health issues. And mood disorders are common in our community. Better to seek help than suffer in silence.

If his mental disorder didn’t make him mentally or physically abusive, then alhamdullilah. I understand the pain so well. I have been there too. When your the child, you feel like it’s such a selfish move from their part.:uCkf6mf:

How did his mental health affect him and you? Also when did he develope them? Did he have it by the time you were born or did it develope later? Since your childhood is your most precious time in your life. It shapes you as a woman/man. So if he developed them later, you are one lucky brother. All praise be Allah(swt).

And masha’Allah. Good to know you all came out of it as bosses! Makes me happy to hear. Allah(swt) truly is the greatest creator!

View attachment 43837
He had it throughout most of my childhood but it didn't get serious til I was maybe 7. After that point, he lost weight, became more reclusive, stopped working and then eventually started to even talk to himself.

Alhamdullilah later on my mum gave him an ultimatum to get help or leave the house which was a great move especially as my mum was the one bringing all the money in and his side of the family that lives in the city didn't care to help him so he had no choice but to get help.

He was in a mental asylum for 3 months and came back stronger, more on his Deen and more like his normal self. Last 10 years he has been great and paying my mum back for everything she did to hold the family together.

Or that the government will put you in a mental asylum.
Yh or even worse, give you an injection. That injection can give someone with minor mental health problems serious problems. Most of them are now pure crazy unfortunately.

SumMo

very lowkey
He had it throughout most of my childhood but it didn't get serious til I was maybe 7. After that point, he lost weight, became more reclusive, stopped working and then eventually started to even talk to himself.

Alhamdullilah later on my mum gave him an ultimatum to get help or leave the house which was a great move especially as my mum was the one bringing all the money in and his side of the family that lives in the city didn't care to help him so he had no choice but to get help.

He was in a mental asylum for 3 months and came back stronger, more on his Deen and more like his normal self. Last 10 years he has been great and paying my mum back for everything she did to hold the family together.
Masha’Allah your mom is one strong woman. I aspire to be that strong wallahi.:eek::it0tdo8:

Yh or even worse, give you an injection. That injection can give someone with minor mental health problems serious problems. Most of them are now pure crazy unfortunately.
Is this actually legit or another fish story? I've heard loads of Somali maamooyin say this with conviction.

Yeah, I have had significant mental health problems. Had to help myself. The Somali community is lost when it comes to mental health. Don't waste your time on them. I am glad your dad got help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending