Anyone know the whereabouts of Adeero GRANT? The Somali loving cadaan who shared his pictures at the time he spent in Jilib.

Caaro

I do something called "what I want"
2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Ilaahay ma taqaanaa! How are you gonna believe your awoowe. That’s the date he picked from the figments of his imagination. Birth days were never recorded except for the few that were born in a modern colonizer’s hospital. There were like 3 hospitals throughout the land. What’s the chance that your grandpa was born there. Next to nothing. :drakewtf:
my awoowe wasn’t born in a hospital, he was born in baadiyo under a tree. At that time there were like maybe 5 cities with hospitals lol, living in tuulo was considered reer magaal 😂 .

Like I said, he was born somewhere between ‘45 and ‘50. My awoowe himself didn’t give me a date and says he doesn’t know, but using estimations he says somewhere in the late 40s which makes sense. It’s also not that hard to find a rough estimate of your birth year just from finding the biggest events in your teenage years then going online and checking when it happened.

Finally if all else fails, we can work backwards, my oldest brother is in his early twenties, that makes my mom at least in her late 40s which puts my grandpa at least in his late 60s so it’s very likely he’s in his early to mid 70s right now.

You’re accusing my awoowe of lying about his birth year when I didn’t even mention an exact date. You’re so quick to jump to conclusions it’s crazy.

I know Mareerey only as a Reewiin clan stronghold, crushed by the Italians in the first years of the 20th century. The sugar project that opened the area to other clans began in 1977. I left in 1967, also I think before the other two settlements opened up. I do not know them.
I spent a few days each in Hargeisa and Mog, a few weeks at Taleex, several days each at Eyl and Jamaama, a week in Baraawe and a day and night every other week banking/shopping in Kismayu. I was isolated in Jilib for 10 months because of the muddy roads from an extended Gu in 1967.
Sorry I can't help.

Interesting never heard of Reewin in Jilib. I was curious if you came across Ogadens in Jilib cuz most of the closest deegaans they settle in are the ones I’ve mentioned such as Hargeisa Yareey and Mareerey

Interesting never heard of Reewin in Jilib. I was curious if you came across Ogadens in Jilib cuz most of the closest deegaans they settle in are the ones I’ve mentioned such as Hargeisa Yareey and Mareerey

I also don"t know of any Reewiin in Jilib. Please read my post again.

@Grant do you remember the time I linked you up with folks that knew the people on your photographs? Did you continue your search for your friend? Was my effort helpful? If not, I can take it to another level now that we have a booming somali Social media.

Would you up for a visit by me to your town. We can meet in a public cafe spot where I ask away.

I have told you several times I remain in contact with my friends. I believe Dheere died on Gezira beach.

Save yourself the trip and ask your questions here.

Grigori Rasputin

Former Somali Minister of Mismanagement & Misinfo.
Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
I have told you several times I remain in contact with my friends. I believe Dheere died on Gezira beach.

why did you not take a native woman as your wife?

@Grant how was the environment of Jilib?

How did the locals treat you in Jilib?

What was the most interesting thing you saw there?

You need to do proper AMA soon @Grant you have a lot of great insight that a lot of us don’t have. It could offer us younger generations a new perspective of our country.

Hey Grant, I really enjoyed reading your blog about your trip to Hargeisa. Your emotions really shone through. Must have been quite melancholic retracing your steps in a now vastly different town. I know you did plan on retiring in Somalia before but I guess my question is why? What was it about Somalia before the war that attracted you? I was born in the west and my parents speak fondly about the past in Somalia and the paradise it was but they’re Somali and home will always be sweet to them regardless. I’m interested in knowing why you, a foreigner enjoyed it so much

Aun to your friend.
How did your friend dheere die in gezira?
Was he a local there ?

I went looking for a link to the massacre and found a list of the victims, which did not include my friend's name. https://www.horndiplomat.com/2018/01/24/the-rebirth-of-somaliland-the-gezira-beach-atrocity/

@Grigori Rasputin My friend's name is Abdi Salad Segulle. He is Cumar Maxamuud, but born in Hudur. When I knew him he was "Secretary" to the Russian agricultural project in Jilib. He spoke English, Italian and some Russian. All-around good guy. He wrote me just before the Kacaan cut off the mail that he would be moving to Mog in 1970. It would be great if you can find him.

1629934193896.png

Hey Grant, I really enjoyed reading your blog about your trip to Hargeisa. Your emotions really shone through. Must have been quite melancholic retracing your steps in a now vastly different town. I know you did plan on retiring in Somalia before but I guess my question is why? What was it about Somalia before the war that attracted you? I was born in the west and my parents speak fondly about the past in Somalia and the paradise it was but they’re Somali and home will always be sweet to them regardless. I’m interested in knowing why you, a foreigner enjoyed it so much

Great climate. Beautiful country. Reer Somalia were very friendly and helpful when I was there. I have a livestock and agricultural background and thought I could be of help. My main regret is that I was sent to a Maay-speaking area which the PC administration was not aware of and did not begin teaching until the year after I left. You need the language. I was ineffective and became depressed.

Grigori Rasputin

Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
I went looking for a link to the massacre and found a list of the victims, which did not include my friend's name. https://www.horndiplomat.com/2018/01/24/the-rebirth-of-somaliland-the-gezira-beach-atrocity/

@Grigori Rasputin My friend's name is Abdi Salad Segulle. He is Cumar Maxamuud, but born in Hudur. When I knew him he was "Secretary" to the Russian agricultural project in Jilib. He spoke English, Italian and some Russian. All-around good guy. He wrote me just before the Kacaan cut off the mail that he would be moving to Mog in 1970. It would be great if you can find him.

I will do my part. I should return to you with more info.

When was the picture taking.

View attachment 198504

Your friend died years ago. His kids own eyecare business in Minneapolis. He is Omar Mohamud- Reer Khalaf.

Your friend died years ago. His kids own eyecare business in Minneapolis. He is Omar Mohamud- Reer Khalaf.

I would very much like to hear more of Abdi's story.. Can you give me names and addresses for his kids or the business? I have photos they would probably like to see.
Thank you, thank you, thank you !!!

Grigori Rasputin

Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
It appears that we have tracked down your friend’s whereabouts. Please check your inbox @Grant

Trending

Latest posts