Anyone get severe food poisoning in SL/Somalia?

I just got back you know.

My biggest concern was diarrhea. I was very aware of the restaurants I was eating from. The high-end restaurants in the city of Hargeisa would cost you an arm and a leg. Their food would be atrocious. Thanks to a friend from Seattle I was introduced to a hole in the wall type of restaurant where I ate my lunch from for close to 2 months. I did not get sick one time from eating there. Their food was just ok but I had no choice. I would get a huge waslad (big meat portion) with either Bariis or Macaroni and a fresh juice (I preferred Papaya) for $7. I would never finish that food for some reason. I would only eat just enough. Their food just doesn’t taste correct. However, it is best to have home made food. The ladies at home know how to cook well. Eating from home cuts off the chance of you getting diarrhea. So I’d suggest you have a maid to cook for you at home. I was staying at a hotel and I was forced to eat out.
👆this is the spot
Caano geel gave me diareah

I had diarrhea for almost a whole week then I got so constipated and uncomfortable that my mom had to buy me some hindi made castor oil laxative from the duqan around the corner lmao. Mixed it in with some shaax and it worked like a charm

Grigori Rasputin

Former Somali Minister of Mismanagement & Misinfo.
Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
Caano geel gave me diareah

I waited 3 weeks to try Caano geel and it was a hit and a miss. The 3 times I drank it one had me leaking like a xaliimo on her period. The second one had me just fine. The 3rd time was half diarrhea and have stomach ache.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP

The first 10 days your stool will be watery. An indication of your stomach being disturbed by Africa. Also the fact that you’ve been eating artificially made processed food.

My biggest concern was diarrhea. I was very aware of the restaurants I was eating from. The high-end restaurants in the city of Hargeisa would cost you an arm and a leg. Their food would be atrocious. Thanks to a friend from Seattle I was introduced to a hole in the wall type of restaurant where I ate my lunch from for close to 2 months. I did not get sick one time from eating there. Their food was just ok but I had no choice. I would get a huge waslad (big meat portion) with either Bariis or Macaroni and a fresh juice (I preferred Papaya) for $7. I would never finish that food for some reason. I would only eat just enough. Their food just doesn’t taste correct. However, it is best to have home made food. The ladies at home know how to cook well. Eating from home cuts off the chance of you getting diarrhea. So I’d suggest you have a maid to cook for you at home. I was staying at a hotel and I was forced to eat out.
👆this is the spot

Gri r u also @Amirah

Keo

VIP
I got sick a lot when I went in 2015 compare to when I first went to Somalia in 2005. It was most likely from all the water I was drinking coz I stayed away from caano geel but I was drinking a lot of water. The diarrhoea was so bad I honestly don’t want to experience something like that again. Interesting thing is that my family never got sick like I did.

Last edited:

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
I never get sick when I go back home

- I avoid the tap water here
- i avoid the juices 9/10 time they will use tap water and than blend em in the mixer
- I avoid any type of fruit powder drink cause they mix it with tapwater
- I avoid laxoox not fan of it
-I avoid all types of caano even caano geel

Happy_

Laa ta aamin nin wa law kaana ninkaaga- bom!
First week you‘ll most likely gonna get diarrhea, it‘s your body getting used to the food back home. Just don‘t drink their water (bottled water is fine) and you‘ll be fine insha‘allah.

Yukon_Niner

Ugaas of the supreme gentleman
VIP
I ate bad god outside one time and vomited litres into the toilet. That was about it.

The first 10 days your stool will be watery. An indication of your stomach being disturbed by Africa. Also the fact that you’ve been eating artificially made processed food.

👆this is the spot
Why are you using your gacan on macaroni, ma fiyow tahay:wtf:

Btw how shit was the pizzas? Last time I visited Hargeisa they were qashin but they were bearable.

I ate bad god outside one time and vomited litres into the toilet. That was about it.

Btw how shit was the pizzas? Last time I visited Hargeisa they were qashin but they were bearable.
Hargeisa is a huge city there's gotta be some good pizza somewhere.

Is there good pizza in xamar? There has to be.

👆this is the spot
Lol. I was transit in muqdisho be4 my trip to kismayo and the hotel had a restaurant. SubhanAllah $8 for a plate of meh baris with cold stake. It pissed me off. I could simply add 3 dollars more in America and get a plate of good somali food. Didnt stay much in muqdisho tho so cant say much abt the food. But when i went to kismayo, i experimented with the maqayado. The ones i liked i went back the ones i disliked never went back. But the best baris and hilib i had in kismayo was 'a hole in the wall' and never i looked back.

Grigori Rasputin

Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
Lol. I was transit in muqdisho be4 my trip to kismayo and the hotel had a restaurant. SubhanAllah $8 for a plate of meh baris with cold stake. It pissed me off. I could simply add 3 dollars more in America and get a plate of good somali food. Didnt stay much in muqdisho tho so cant say much abt the food. But when i went to kismayo, i experimented with the maqayado. The ones i liked i went back the ones i disliked never went back. But the best baris and hilib i had in kismayo was 'a hole in the wall' and never i looked back.

Thats what’m saying my dude. As long as one can find the hole in the wall type of restaurant in your area of town then you’re set for the remainder of your stay.
However, one is better off eating from his own home when in Somalia. In this circumstances you won’t have to worry about food poisoning because you control the situation. Whoever is cooking has to be aware of sanitation precautions. That’s all is required. The meat is fresh, the veggies are fresh and organic and so the only thing that creates the food poisoning is the food preparers who would go to the restroom and will mix their stool in your food :jcoleno:

Grigori Rasputin

Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot

I thoroughly clean my hands beforehand. They had soap. I liked using my hands manne.

That must be opposite of Dahabshiil. Maqayada istaaga aya ladhaha. It's busy at lunch time.

@Amirah it's okay to have diarrhea. I experience both times I went back and I was only away from Africa 5.5 years. I buy Imodium it's good relief for diarrhea and stomach crumbs.

Grigori Rasputin

Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
@Amirah it's okay to have diarrhea. I experience both times I went back and I was only away from Africa 5.5 years. I buy Imodium it's good relief for diarrhea and stomach crumbs.

I took that with me, Imodium.

also get this @Amirah

In case you go through severe diarrhea or vomiting just mix that powder with your bottle water and it’ll hydrate you as if you were hooked to an iv
I took a whole package.
I also took energy bars
Tylenol
Nutella

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
Drinking sink water and raw milk is the most common way diasporas get food poisoning in the motherland. You should be good to go if you drink bottled water and avoid raw milk at all cost

Trending

Latest posts