Any Engineers? (students or pros)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen many Somalis at my university studying engineering... I am curious whether or not we have many engineers.
Post what kind of engineer you are, or if you know someone who is an engineer, and what you would like to do (or already do, if you are a professional) with your degree.

I am studying Structural Engineering... I am going for the civil engineering side of it, so I'll probably go into construction. I also like using drafting software (like AutoCAd), so I might do some structural designing.

I'm an electronic & electrical engineer.

I work for a private firm as an electrical engineer, my job is very simple & it is mostly going to call outs, making inspections and repairs.

The pay is excellent like all other engineering fields. If I could go back in time I would of worked towards becoming a mechanical engineer instead of an electronics & electrical engineer. I am now at a dilemma where the next step is for me to go back to Uni and get a phd in electronic and electrical engineering so that I can become a site manager that over seas projects hence a move up the career ladder, I will probably do this in a few years.

Civil engineering is pretty cool by the way :nvjpqts:

I'm an electronic & electrical engineer.

I work for a private firm as an electrical engineer, my job is very simple & it is mostly going to call outs, making inspections and repairs.

The pay is excellent like all other engineering fields. If I could go back in time I would of worked towards becoming a mechanical engineer instead of an electronics & electrical engineer. I am now at a dilemma where the next step is for me to go back to Uni and get a phd in electronic and electrical engineering so that I can become a site manager that over seas projects hence a move up the career ladder, I will probably do this in a few years.

Civil engineering is pretty cool by the way :nvjpqts:

One of my friends is an electrical engineer... sounds fun.... And good pay is always fantastic. I am actually thinking about doing a masters in business or something after this. But that's far in the future.
I wanted to be an ME but it didn't work out... It's all good tho cus I like SE.

One of my friends is an electrical engineer... sounds fun.... And good pay is always fantastic. I am actually thinking about doing a masters in business or something after this. But that's far in the future.
I wanted to be an ME but it didn't work out... It's all good tho cus I like SE.

In any western economy you will be valuable so it doesn't matter whether you become a qualified SE or qualified ME.

I would of chose ME though only because the jobs at defence contractors are just
:ahhhh::lawd:

In any western economy you will be valuable so it doesn't matter whether you become a qualified SE or qualified ME.

I would of chose ME though only because the jobs at defence contractors are just
:ahhhh::lawd:

Boeing is a big employer of MEs and EEs too.

waraabe

Your superior
Most of my friends have studied Engineering, they are ranging wide. From Aerospace to mechanical to chemical to biomedical to civil to structural

S

syntax

Studying software engineering, if you consider that to be a engineering field. Well tbh you should, cuz none of your shit would work without our software. But I can also see why you wouldn't consider it a engineering field.

Studying software engineering, if you consider that to be a engineering field. Well tbh you should, cuz none of your shit would work without our software. But I can also see why you wouldn't consider it a engineering field.

True lol I do consider it an engineering field btw... Like you said, you guys are needed since no high tech invention works these days without a programmer's involvement. I did some programming classes when I was a naive freshman and I found out it's not my thing. I like the physical part of engineering.

S

syntax

True lol I do consider it an engineering field btw... Like you said, you guys are needed since no high tech invention works these days without a programmer's involvement. I did some programming classes when I was a naive freshman and I found out it's not my thing. I like the physical part of engineering.

You know I realized, not to sound elitist, programming isn't something you can just pickup. You're either good at it or not I'm not talking about learning and memorizing the syntax for the various languages....I mean actually using creativity to build a working software from scratch. Then again the same can be said for other types of engineers right

Practice does make you better, but the naturally talented ones will always be way better. I consider myself somewhere in the middle. I don't completely suck it at..and I ain't no prodigy either. Only thing that drives me is curiosity, interest and a hunger to build shit. Those 3 qualities I think are key to becoming a successful engineer, weather your naturally talented or not

You know I realized, not to sound elitist, programming isn't something you can just pickup. You're either good at it or not I'm not talking about learning and memorizing the syntax for the various languages....I mean actually using creativity to build a working software from scratch. Then again the same can be said for other types of engineers right

Practice does make you better, but the naturally talented ones will always be way better. I consider myself somewhere in the middle. I don't completely suck it at..and I ain't no prodigy either. Only thing that drives me is curiosity, interest and a hunger to build shit. Those 3 qualities I think are key to becoming a successful engineer, weather your naturally talented or not

I understand... I tried doing some basic programming on my own. It's no easy task. I did c++ way back in freshman year tho, and I thought it was interesting... But that's nothing compared to programming languages at higher levels. Even if you are in the middle, it's still a respectable fiend in high demand that you'll definitely find something exciting to do.

S

syntax

I understand... I tried doing some basic programming on my own. It's no easy task. I did c++ way back in freshman year tho, and I thought it was interesting... But that's nothing compared to programming languages at higher levels. Even if you are in the middle, it's still a respectable fiend in high demand that you'll definitely find something exciting to do.

Practice makes better man. I actually have a co-op position starting soon with a very successful software/hardware company starting in January, going to be my first time going into the industry outta school. Looking forward to it.

I'm not too familiar with structural engineering, but I thought all engineers needed to know basic programming skills?

Practice makes better man. I actually have a co-op position starting soon with a very successful software/hardware company starting in January, going to be my first time going into the industry outta school. Looking forward to it.

I'm not too familiar with structural engineering, but I thought all engineers needed to know basic programming skills?

Congrats man... Good luck.
And no... Not all engineers. At least as far as I know. I did some Matlab and will probably have to use it heavily but that's about it. I could do it as an elective tho if I wanted. For SE, we more designing than programming I believe.

S

syntax

No... It doesn't. Let's leave at that, since I am not in the mood for arguing.

It's not like where you got your undergraduate even matters on the grand scale of things. I mean sure it will help you land your first or second job, but anything else after that point is entirely dependent on your resume, experience and projects you've been involved in. Yet people always put so much emphasis on it...they think their fucking school name is going to forever be able to land them jobs

It's not like where you got your undergraduate even matters on the grand scale of things. I mean sure it will help you land your first or second job, but anything else after that point is entirely dependent on your resume, experience and projects you've been involved in. Yet people always put so much emphasis on it...they think their fucking school name is going to forever be able to land them jobs

You r probably right... But the fact remains the same, UCSD is great engineering school.

Im starting my first internship this summer with US bank as a Software Engineer.
I started out at a community college part time taking pre-algebra with a friend and now im in a University here in the United States.
Its all about persistence honestly. That same friend who was going to school full time is now getting a Masters at Stanford and working for Tesla in Silicon Valley as an Applications Developer.
We both started out in Community College.
Just keep pushing forward and everything will work out insha allah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending