Another ajanabi calling Somalis out for nationalism because they are celebrating July 1st

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
when a colonial power loses a world war they have to give up their african colonies. germany lost ww1 and italy lost ww2. so they were forced to give up somalia.

No, Somalia got conquered by the Allies in 1940, almost five years before the war ended. The Allies only handed over Somalia in 1950. Italy did not give it up cos they lost, they lost the territory through combat in the East Africa campaign.

the more disgraceful fact was being the last italian colony to become independent. we gained independence nearly a decade after libya :mjlol:

Eritrea got independence in 1993. Somalia was almost going to be given to Ethiopia had it not been for the pressure of the SYL.

Furthermore, the SYL requested the UN trusteeship of 10 years so that they could build a civil service, military and other national institutions. Italy/USSR/France wanted 30 years whereas the US/Ethiopia wanted it to be a federal part of Ethiopia.

Some of you never learnt Somali history and it shows

Last edited:
somalia was the last italian african colony to gain independence. reer 68 man. :mjlol:
Ur mentioning Libya, like them gaining independence before us means anything. Libyans were put in concentration camps and ethnically cleansed by the thousands. Italians committed horrific war crimes against them. That didn’t happen to Somalia, nowhere near the same because of our brave ancestors. Maybe read up on ur own history then u won’t bang on about 68 iq

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Let’s not kid ourselves. The reason why Somalia, and most of the world is independent is not because of their efforts, but because World War 2 forever changed the international political landscape. Imperialism was dead. Somalia would have been independent regardless.

This is historically incorrect.

After WWII, the Allies captured Italy's 3 European colonies: Somalia, Eritrea and Libya. In 1950, the Allies released all three colonies.

Ethiopia, as an Allied nation, requested Somalia and Eritrea, having made a formal application for the transfer of the territories. The US supported Selassie in these efforts as they wanted to establish a base in Ethiopia.

However, unlike Eritrea, Somalia already had established political parties that lobbied the UN for a 10 year trusteeship to establish the foundations of governance before independence. Eritrea was given to Ethiopia and placed under gumeeysi until 1993.

reer

VIP
No, Somalia got conquered by the Allies in 1940, almost five years before the war ended. The Allies only handed over Somalia in 1950.

Eritrea got independence in 1993. Somalia was almost going to be given to Ethiopia had it not been for the pressure of the SYL.

Furthermore, the SYL requested the UN trusteeship of 10 years so that they could build a civil service, military and other national institutions. Italy/USSR/France wanted 30 years whereas the US/Ethiopia wanted it to be a federal part of Ethiopia.

Some of you never learnt Somali history and it shows
libya was conquered by the allies in 1943. axis forces in north africa were defeated by the allies. they gained independence in 1951. libya was poor in 1951 and gained independence as a constitutional monarchy.
allied occupation of somaliweyn 1941-1963
allied occupation of libya 1943-1951

libya independence 1951
xabashis get back eritrea 1952
somalia independence 1960
selassie crying for somalia even if they gave it to him there would be mass insurgency backed by the arab league especially nasser.

germany lost ww1. namibia and german east africa under allies.
ottomans lose ww1. iraq and the levant come under nationals league/britain/france.
italy lose ww2. the same thing happens but because of ww2 the allies cant hold their colonies. so the world starts decolonization. italy loses its colonies.

somalis did not fight in a war and spill blood for freedom. the indonesians did. guinea bissauans did. not somalis.

Last edited:

Keo

VIP
I don’t mind if you want to celebrate independence but why do they always post a picture next to their flag ever year on Twitter? I’ve seen other groups do it too. They all copy each other like some sheep. Lol

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
@reer man stop with this agenda.

Somalis requested the 10 year trusteeship and we got it. Every other European nation wanted something else but at the end of the day, their decision was in favour of the SYL.

Why would we cause violence if we got what we wanted?

In fact, when the Italians realised the SYL were putting pressure they attacked an SYL rally in which 52 Italians and 14 pro-Italian Somalis were killed. The riots went on for two hours and is best known for killing Hawo Tako, who was named a martyr by the SYL.

There is a famous quote from an author: "Every time a Somali got whipped, an Italian soldier was killed."

World

VIP
This is historically incorrect.

After WWII, the Allies captured Italy's 3 European colonies: Somalia, Eritrea and Libya. In 1950, the Allies released all three colonies.

Ethiopia, as an Allied nation, requested Somalia and Eritrea, having made a formal application for the transfer of the territories. The US supported Selassie in these efforts as they wanted to establish a base in Ethiopia.

However, unlike Eritrea, Somalia already had established political parties that lobbied the UN for a 10 year trusteeship to establish the foundations of governance before independence. Eritrea was given to Ethiopia and placed under gumeeysi until 1993.
Interesting perspective, still doesn’t change my original point. Why should I be celebrating the fact that we aren’t under gumeeysi from our starving 3rd world neighbours, especially when there are 7 million Somalis still under their rule?

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Interesting point of view, still doesn’t change my original point. I’m not celebrating the fact that we aren’t under gumeeysi from our starving 3rd neighbours, especially when there are 7 million Somalis still under their rule.

My point was not that we celebrate 1st July because we could have been colonised by Ethiopia, it was to argue your claim that we would have been independent anyways.

The reason we should celebrate 1st July is for the hope we had as a nation in 1960.

Somalia was a democracy that was founded on the ideals of Somaliweyn and stood up as a small Muslim nation against its larger Christian neighbours. On the 1st July, I personally remember the SYL and what they achieved, so that inshallah one day Somalia can out do them.

I think any Somali that says there is no sense of reflection on July 1 is a liar. All of us at one point on independence day have thought about where we are and how far behind we are. This thread is the perfect example of this.

Long story short, happy belated 1st July sxb.

reer

VIP
@reer man stop with this agenda.

Somalis requested the 10 year trusteeship and we got it. Every other European nation wanted something else but at the end of the day, their decision was in favour of the SYL.

Why would we cause violence if we got what we wanted?

In fact, when the Italians realised the SYL were putting pressure they attacked an SYL rally in which 52 Italians and 14 pro-Italian Somalis were killed. The riots went on for two hours and is best known for killing Hawo Tako, who was named a martyr by the SYL.

There is a famous quote from an author: "Every time a Somali got whipped, an Italian soldier was killed."
its good for in dadka niayada loo dhiso. but ultimately the british had a guaranteed exit date.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
its good for in dadka niayada loo dhiso. but ultimately the british had a guaranteed exit date.

At the end of the day, the SYL got what they wanted without having to fight a war.

That in itself is some achievement

Bro, I cannot be arsed to debate you.

You win, there is nothing for Somalis to be proud of. Somalia has and always has been trash.

Happy?
There other things to be happy about other than July 1. It's disgusting that Somalis were celebrating and jumping around the same day they were getting bombed by Kenya. This fake myth gotta stop Somalia hasn't been independent for a long time.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I cannot lie tho, I realised that Somali women were much better looking than I thought. Don't get me wrong, I always thought they were beautiful but the Twitter trend has impressed me further.

Or maybe its cos I do not really hang with Somalis much :manny:

Somali celebrating about their culture and independence day is not
nationalism also it is haram to celebrate festival or something if it is culture and independence is part of culture
It is not nationalism
I think there no such thing ummah or 1 community

What did we take back? We didn’t engage in a war that resulted in the expulsion of Europeans out of our land. Europeans literally said, “hey i enjoyed your land you can have it back now.”
are u retarded??? lool we had to fight to take back our land for 100s of years they did not just say "here take ur land bye"

Alot Outsiders Are Larping As Somalis In This Tread Or Is The Halfbreeds At It Again

giphy.gif

Trending