Ancient Somali weapons thread

Yahya

2020 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Why is our culture a mystery? How did we evade being conquered for so long? What weapons did our ancestors use? What armour did they wear? Why have we no black Smith's today?

For bless the tumaal they do not deserve the hate they get. Once upon a time they made the weapons that helped to defend our country from invaders. I we sad to learn that blacksmiths are looked down.

Honestly how did we regress? How did our elders become tribalistic opportunists? Have the wise men died off. Read our Wikipedia pages and books on our history and you'd swear all the noble men died in our history or something.

Then again I look at Greece today and sigh of relief. I guess any country can regress over time.

Post any weapons or armour ancient Somalia used.

AF591A.jpg

Yahya

2020 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Archery was pretty sophisticated too. We had metal tipped arrows.

I just don't understand where all our royalty family swords are. We seem to not treasure or look after our ancient artifacts.

We need archaeological research back home. Or we will never know our history fully.

Why is our culture a mystery? How did we evade being conquered for so long? What weapons did our ancestors use? What armour did they wear? Why have we no black Smith's today?

For bless the tumaal they do not deserve the hate they get. Once upon a time they made the weapons that helped to defend our country from invaders. I we sad to learn that blacksmiths are looked down.

Honestly how did we regress? How did our elders become tribalistic opportunists? Have the wise men died off. Read our Wikipedia pages and books on our history and you'd swear all the noble men died in our history or something.

Then again I look at Greece today and sigh of relief. I guess any country can regress over time.

View attachment 135370
GAARAD CALI DABLE was the first Somali to bring firepower to Somalia. Essentially the first Somali Warlord. Brought over weapons from Yemen

Weapons alone didn't keep our enemies at bay.. But our pride and courage did, ancient Somalis were known to be really tall and warriors who took honor in how many enemies they killed.

Shmurda

King Of NSFW
Weapons alone didn't keep our enemies at bay.. But our pride and courage did, ancient Somalis were known to be really tall and warriors who took honor in how many enemies they killed.
I wish I lived back home during the 1500s they got to kill a bunch of gaalos AND get gaalo girls as concubines I'm jealous wallahi

Yahya

2020 GRANDMASTER
VIP
I was expecting different clans to have different armour styles and smithing methods for weapons.

Seriously it's imperative that we dig our land for more clues since we hardly document things.

Spear and Shield ( Waran iyo Gashaan) was the main weapon of our ancestors,
it was easier to make and less expensive than swords .
i read somewhere that Somalis didn't use bow and arrows much becuse it was associated with the native hunter-gatherers. I don't know if it's true.

Spear and Shield was the most commonly used weapon before the firearms throughout the world from Sumer
800px-Stele_of_Vultures_detail_01-transparent.png

to Phalanx of Alexander I of Macedon and the Roman pilum.
phalanx-formation.png

3a3a0d0c111893e090d83daf386b9827.jpg

even the early Islamic armies were mostly spearman , they used assegai spear (az-zaġāyah ) which is also used by most of African tribes like Berbers ,Somalis, xhosa and Zulu .

f818ea2305b1db280f5f51c8a151e2c1.jpg

Somali-2.jpg

zulu-war.gif

Last edited:

View attachment 135370
Has anyone noticed that Somalis’ weapons are more minimalist and lighter than other African weaponry? This is a Congolese sword:
022E9755-8A80-47BA-9A88-619C3D07CC09.jpg

Trending