Ancient Artifacts Discovered In Somaliland

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL what's next on you're fact based opinion of history? The Adal Sultanite was Xabeshi?:siilaanyolaugh:

No archaeologist has authenticated the " Puntite" carvings. Notice that it is Sada Mire that puts "Puntite" in quotation marks.

"The “Puntite”Sites (ca. 2000 BCE–third century CE)
In relation to the discussion of cairn sites, it must be noted that since 2012 in
Somaliland, there have been reports of “Pharaonic”or “Puntite sites,”which all seem
to be associated with cairns (see Map 2). There is no scope in this article to discuss the
Land of Punt, which is located possibly somewhere on the African side of the southern
Red Sea Coast, but readers can consult the literature (e.g., Bard and Fattovich 2007;
Phillips 1997;Kitchen1993). I was asked by the Somaliland Government to investigate
claims made about the existence of such objects in the summer of 2014. The Ministry
of Tourism had been having problems with a man who called himself a Sheikh and
claimed to have spirits working with him, digging sites. I let him take me to the sites he
found with the help of these spirits (gins). Another man who works with him showed
me pictures of the digging, and a film of the two of them and another man, involved
with the Ministry, digging such sites. The Sheikh took me to his house in Hargeysa to
show me the so-called “Pharaonic”sculptures. He proudly declared that he was selling
them for up to US $15000, and named well-known figures as his clientele. The
Ministry was worried that due to the demand for illicit antiquities, there might be
(re)productions of sculptures. However, the sites were former cairns that had been
emptied of their stones. Usually stonecutters who are selling stones to construction
companies roam the landscapes for cairn sites, as these are perfectly sized stones for
building local houses. I was shown sites with alleged Pharaonic artefacts; these include
the twin peaks of Naaso Hablood (“girl’sbreasts,”107), Maxamood Mooge (109),
Hargeysa Airport area and Masalaha (108). I have previously climbed the left peak,
which has shelters with stone tools. Also, there are underground caves that show
ancient habitation in the area between the two peaks. The Land of Punt thus may well
be the area of current-day Somalia/Somaliland. However, the current interest has
triggered looting activities, as demand has increased from wealthy locals for so-
called “Puntite”sculptures. The sculptures and decorated tiles claimed to be of
“Puntite”origin must be examined properly along with the sites attributed to them,
some of them noted in the maps herein""

(PDF) Mapping the Archaeology of Somaliland:.... Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/public...ion_Art_Script_Time_Urbanism_Trade_and_Empire [accessed Aug 21 2018].

Last edited:
LOL what's next on you're fact based opinion of history? The Adal Sultanite was Xabeshi?:siilaanyolaugh:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10814-014-9075-7

Archaeology of Trade in the Western Indian Ocean, 300 BC–AD 700

"On rare occasions, even modern archaeology takes on the characteristics of exploration and sensational discovery. One such event occurred in late 2000, when Belgian speleologist Peter De Geest and his team stumbled upon an ancient sanctuary deep inside the Hoq cave on the northeast coast of Socotra. The sanctuary contained a large number of graffiti in South Arabian, Indian Brahmi, Ethiopic Geʾez, and Greek script, as well as an inscribed tablet in Palmyrene Aramaic, giving a date corresponding to AD 257−258 (Dridi 2002; Robin and Gorea 2002; Strauch 2012; Strauch and Bukharin 2004). Present-day Socotra is among the most isolated places in the world. In the centuries around the turn of the first millennium AD, however, it was a crossroad of commerce based on the monsoon winds. This trade brought together people from all coasts of the western Indian Ocean, dealing in aromatics, spices, textiles, gems, glass, metal, slaves, grain, timber, and a range of other commodities of prestige and subsistence. The discovery of the cave sanctuary on the seemingly remote island provided not only an evocative reminder of the multicultural nature of ancient world trade, but also emphasized that the western Indian Ocean was never a barrier to contact; rather it is the proximate and natural medium of communication for people living along its rim.

For this article, I gather the different strands of research published over the last 20 years and identify the main accomplishments of the joint scholarly effort during this period. After a summary of early scholarship, I review regional points of view, with brief surveys of recent publications focusing on South Asia, the Persian Gulf, South Arabia, Socotra, East Africa, and the Red Sea. I then address the combined evidence for ships, navigation, and people, before discussing the contributions of western Indian Ocean archaeology to our understanding of early exchange in general, with regard to key issues such as scale, organization, connectivity, agency, and social cohesion. I owe much to recent syntheses on the topic (Beaujard 2012; Ray 2003; Sidebotham 2012; Tomber 2008). I depart from these works, however, in my scope as a review of recent research, rather than an analysis of the underlying research questions. My intent is to assess the place of western Indian Ocean archaeology within the wider discourse on ancient exchange. For reasons of space and coherence, my literature review concentrates on the western part of the Indian Ocean world: Arabian Sea, Persian Gulf, Gulf of Oman, Gulf of Aden, and the Red Sea (Fig. 1); coverage of the Bay of Bengal and the eastern Indian Ocean is intentionally limited. Similarly, although literature relevant to the Neolithic through modern periods is cited, my emphasis is on the millennium after circa 300 BC. This timeframe encompasses what would in South Asian chronology roughly correspond to the Early Historic period and to the pre-Islamic period from the Hellenistic era onward in the Persian Gulf and the Red Sea. I include results from complementary disciplines of philology and history only when they relate directly to material evidence and/or to the archaeological sites that are discussed. Selected titles on these related periods, regions, and subjects are included in the bibliography of recent literature at the end of the article."

The article goes on significantly. Those who don't read will miss out.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10814-014-9075-7

Archaeology of Trade in the Western Indian Ocean, 300 BC–AD 700

"On rare occasions, even modern archaeology takes on the characteristics of exploration and sensational discovery. One such event occurred in late 2000, when Belgian speleologist Peter De Geest and his team stumbled upon an ancient sanctuary deep inside the Hoq cave on the northeast coast of Socotra. The sanctuary contained a large number of graffiti in South Arabian, Indian Brahmi, Ethiopic Geʾez, and Greek script, as well as an inscribed tablet in Palmyrene Aramaic, giving a date corresponding to AD 257−258 (Dridi 2002; Robin and Gorea 2002; Strauch 2012; Strauch and Bukharin 2004). Present-day Socotra is among the most isolated places in the world. In the centuries around the turn of the first millennium AD, however, it was a crossroad of commerce based on the monsoon winds. This trade brought together people from all coasts of the western Indian Ocean, dealing in aromatics, spices, textiles, gems, glass, metal, slaves, grain, timber, and a range of other commodities of prestige and subsistence. The discovery of the cave sanctuary on the seemingly remote island provided not only an evocative reminder of the multicultural nature of ancient world trade, but also emphasized that the western Indian Ocean was never a barrier to contact; rather it is the proximate and natural medium of communication for people living along its rim.

For this article, I gather the different strands of research published over the last 20 years and identify the main accomplishments of the joint scholarly effort during this period. After a summary of early scholarship, I review regional points of view, with brief surveys of recent publications focusing on South Asia, the Persian Gulf, South Arabia, Socotra, East Africa, and the Red Sea. I then address the combined evidence for ships, navigation, and people, before discussing the contributions of western Indian Ocean archaeology to our understanding of early exchange in general, with regard to key issues such as scale, organization, connectivity, agency, and social cohesion. I owe much to recent syntheses on the topic (Beaujard 2012; Ray 2003; Sidebotham 2012; Tomber 2008). I depart from these works, however, in my scope as a review of recent research, rather than an analysis of the underlying research questions. My intent is to assess the place of western Indian Ocean archaeology within the wider discourse on ancient exchange. For reasons of space and coherence, my literature review concentrates on the western part of the Indian Ocean world: Arabian Sea, Persian Gulf, Gulf of Oman, Gulf of Aden, and the Red Sea (Fig. 1); coverage of the Bay of Bengal and the eastern Indian Ocean is intentionally limited. Similarly, although literature relevant to the Neolithic through modern periods is cited, my emphasis is on the millennium after circa 300 BC. This timeframe encompasses what would in South Asian chronology roughly correspond to the Early Historic period and to the pre-Islamic period from the Hellenistic era onward in the Persian Gulf and the Red Sea. I include results from complementary disciplines of philology and history only when they relate directly to material evidence and/or to the archaeological sites that are discussed. Selected titles on these related periods, regions, and subjects are included in the bibliography of recent literature at the end of the article."

The article goes on significantly. Those who don't read will miss out.
Punt is in Saudi Arabia.

Yeah, but I don't want to be associated with those INCEST BREED FREAKS! WALLAHI I HOPE THEY WHERE MIDDLE EASTERN OR EUROPEAN! AFRICA HAS ENOUGH L'S RIGHT NOW!
well most somali associate ourselves with bedouin arabs, WE SAY WE ARE FROM ARAB DESCENT so what differences would it make if middle eastern toke credit for our ancient history??:francis: WE WOULD STILL BE INDIRECTLY ASSOCIATED:holeup: we might as well claim it. WE ARE THE PEOPLE OF PUNITE. we are cushites are descendants of ancient Egyptian.

SHOUTOUT my peeps, Nefertiti, Hatshepsut, Tutankhamen :krs:

well most somali associate ourselves with bedouin arabs, WE SAY WE ARE FROM ARAB DESCENT so what differences would it make if middle eastern toke credit for our ancient history??:francis: WE WOULD STILL BE INDIRECTLY ASSOCIATED:holeup: we might as well claim it. WE ARE THE PEOPLE OF PUNITE. we are cushites are descendants of ancient Egyptian.

SHOUTOUT my peeps, Nefertiti, Hatshepsut, Tutankhamen :krs:
Rather claim sand n'ggers then sibling smashers!:fittytousand:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts