Alindi aka Banadiri - Somalia's Traditional Fabric

Somalis were merchants sxb :comeon::comeon::comeon:

it’s mostly Somalis from the south that spread our culture down in South East Africa. Alindi is now one of the main fabrics traditionally used in the Comoros Islands. They have a whole history with the people of Brava, some Comorians even claim to have origins there.

I know?

That doesn't mean our customers can appropriate our clothing.

Then don’t claim rice, dirac, shahi, bun, umama, maawis and the many other cultural features we got from abroad through cultural and other types of exchanges lol
Anybody can claim rice (China copies things from the others and nobody can do anything about it). Same for a mere "Macawis" I don't remember that being exclusive to anybody (I can name many people with stuff like that South & South East Asians and the Scottish most notably,) everybody knows "Umama" isn't Somali. "shah" made all over the world & everybody knows Dirac was Somali or was it 1st found on the moon? 😂

To sum it up its good to credit the creator of an invention.

I agree they shouldn’t appropriate our cultural attire.

But to go off on a tangent ... it’s also weird we have made the orange Alindi the one and only print for guntiino. It’s relatively new as a print. Whenever you see old fashioned pictures of Somali women in guntiino it’s clear there was some variety in the print. And perhaps even more elegance in a simple white guntiino.
Imagine a woman wearing that to a wedding or bridal shower? Breathtaking wallahi. :banderas:

Arabsiyawi

HA Activist.
I’m actually baffled rn. Why are you guys so pressed some Somalis engaged with neighboring peoples and shared cultural features ? :dead::dead1::deadmanny::deadrose:. What’s next, u crying on twitter about how Comorians wear guntiino every day without giving us a shoutout ? Whatsup with this afram mentality lmao

Vanessa

Support interracial love 💕
VIP
Alindi fabric was woven in Banadir by Benadiri people. They should be the ones speaking out about this, not us regular Somalis. :icon lol:

Marna caaya reer Xamarka and say they're not REAL Somalis or indigenous to Somalia, marna take credit for their works like their architecture, Alindi etc.

Dirac is Yemeni, baati comes from the word baatik, googarad & keenshali is Af Hindi. Maxaa hadhayba markaas? Lamagoodles, have some shame and stop the xagxagasho, you didn't invent shit.:icon lol:

The only thing we can "claim" are the 2 white sheets and the white 3 qayd.
3abb01ca5425d1eb706ef8366f99d213.jpg
Lol I asked my father, what’s our traditional clothing? He said laba goodle, and then I asked what’s laba goodle, he responded 2 sheets.

I’m actually baffled rn. Why are you guys so pressed some Somalis engaged with neighboring peoples and shared cultural features ? :dead::dead1::deadmanny::deadrose:. What’s next, u crying on twitter about how Comorians wear guntiino every day without giving us a shoutout ? Whatsup with this afram mentality lmao
They sound like insecure american madows

Who is crying? The only person in this topic who is acting weird.. is you. You're not even a woman so you have no sentimental attachment to wearing a guntiino in any print.

They sound like insecure american madows

Because we want Somalis to be recognised and respected for a product we created?
Every civilised ethnic group finds ways to protects its identity or 'brand', for economic purposes mainly but also for cultural identity.

The Benadiri fabric industry is worth millions if not more--if a bunch of Ugandans/Oromos/Comorians claim it as theirs and sell it, that is a big blow to Somalis economically and culturally.

But.. yeah.. we're just "insecure", right? I find it so amusing how the likes of this man and Alexis jump over all our very valid concerns and try to reduce it to us being "emotional".. keep your sexist and reductionist commentary to yourselves.

Last edited:
Anybody can claim rice (China copies things from the others and nobody can do anything about it). Same for a mere "Macawis" I don't remember that being exclusive to anybody (I can name many people with stuff like that South & South East Asians and the Scottish most notably,) everybody knows "Umama" isn't Somali. "shah" made all over the world & everybody knows Dirac was Somali or was it 1st found on the moon? 😂

To sum it up its good to credit the creator of an invention.

Thank you. Some people just want Somalis to accept disrespect and theft... if we don't protect Somali cultural assets- there will be nothing left to pass on.

Lol I asked my father, what’s our traditional clothing? He said laba goodle, and then I asked what’s laba goodle, he responded 2 sheets.

True, for nomads.. but those 2 sheets were worn as a "guntiino" for woman and for men, as a macawiis and the other as a wrap or maybe a turban to protect from the sun.. basically, the only thing that changed was the print/material. City dwellers and Sultans wore different clothing or the same with added pieces for decoration.

I hope people invest in the Banadiri fabric industry and finds ways to prevent other countries from mass producing it.. Protect the banadiri fabric the same way the Scots protect their kilt fabrics and the Ghanaians do with the kente cloth.

Those Ugandans, Oromos, Comoros or whatever should find their own print or they should purchase it from Benadir and call it "Benadiri"!

Look at the Italians, if you want to sell pizza as authentic Neopolitan pizzas, you have to get a approval and training from an association in Naples! And this is just food that they protect so fiercely.

It's very sad that only Somalia tolerates daylight robbery!

Vanessa

Support interracial love 💕
VIP
True, for nomads.. but those 2 sheets were worn as a "guntiino" for woman and for men, as a macawiis and the other as a wrap or maybe a turban to protect from the sun.. basically, the only thing that changed was the print/material. City dwellers and Sultans wore different clothing or the same with added pieces for decoration.
Thanks for the insightful thread! I enjoy learning about the Somali culture and tradition.

if cad cad arab invented Alindi fabric then it is not somali culture nor Somalis should be mad at non somalis only cad cad arabs should be mad at those oromos and ugandas
Why Somalis claim non somalis culture as their own and take pride

Trending