Alindi aka Banadiri - Somalia's Traditional Fabric

Somalia needs to protect Alindi, Oromos and other African ethnic groups are claiming it as theirs and renaming it.

Screenshot 2021-02-18 at 21.35.03.png

SOMALI HISTORY OF ALINDI FABRICS

'The Weaver's Song'​

'In 1330, the Arab traveler Ibn Battuta wrote of Somalia's thriving cloth industry: "In this place [Benaadir] are manufactured the unequalled woven fabrics named after it, which are exported from there to Egypt and elsewhere." A crossroads between Africa and the Middle East, Somalia was a pivot-point of trade, linking ports from Egypt to India. Her capital of Mogadishu sits on the Indian Ocean, 1,300 kilometers (800 miles) from the Gulf of Aden and equidistant from Cairo, Baghdad and the trading cities of India's southwestern coast. It was once a major entrepΓ΄t of the trade in spices, aromatic gums, ivory and textiles... The fields of the Jubaland Plain were polka-dotted with cotton plants, and Somalis produced over 350,000 pieces of cloth annually from the fertile ground...

Using locally grown vegetable dyes such as saffron and imported dyed yarns from India and Pakistan, Somali weavers began in the late 1950's to weave brilliant reds, blues, yellows, blacks, and purples into their futas and guntinos, giving their people traditional cloths to use for marriages, funerals, furniture, war dancing, and everyday farming. Weavers invented dozens of patterns with names like "teeth" and "goats in the sand dunes" that have become standards and today are worn in major ceremonies and the religious festivities that keep the national spirit of this Islamic stronghold alive...

The weaver first takes the dyed yarn in 24 batches of eight-meter (26-foot) lengths, each tied together and marked with spittle and kohl. He dunks them into a sizing of flour and water to make the fibers stiff and strong. Then, in a stretching method called darisi, the threads are wrapped from one strategically placed vertical stick in the building to another, and left to dry like a long L-shaped blanket. When the yarn has dried, it is wound onto a wooden spindle called the furfure, then unwound and tied into the heddle loops, following the color pattern indicated by loose strings on the bamboo heddle. The weaver affixes the heddle to the loom and stretches the threads of the new warp out behind the loom to a single iron hook set in the floor seven and a half to eight meters (24 to 26 feet) away. There all the warp threads are gathered into one fat knot, tied to a length of rope, and attached to the hook. The other end of the rope is led back to the weaver's seat. As weaving progresses and cloth is wound onto the cloth beam, the warp is fed toward the loom, anchoring it to the hook each time with a new knot farther down the rope... To meet the challenge of changing fashion they are helping to change the way women wear their cloth... Steadfast and adaptable, he shuttles weft into warp with whatever thread he has available, and keeps his feet firmly in the pit beneath his loom, whether it is in his own house or in a cooperative workshop. The thread does come, alham-dulillah - praise God. His loom remains full and his family fed...

"It would probably not be entirely inappropriate to repeat earlier concerns that the weavers of futa Benaadiri face an uncertain future. Futa Benaadiri is no longer an inexpensive alternative to imported cloths and as a prestige textile it faces competition from Tanzanian kitenge and similar stuffs. [But] its ability to endure for more than seven centuries, and particularly to make radical adjustments that historical circumstances have forced upon it over the past century, suggest strongly that it will continue to survive.' | An excerpt | Β© Pages 8-11 of the September/October 1989 print edition of SAW.

Screenshot 2021-02-18 at 21.30.42.png

Screenshot 2021-02-18 at 21.31.14.png

Screenshot 2021-02-18 at 21.31.38.png

@Marshall D Abdi

Alindi is Somali fabric that was made in Somalia and sold by Somali merchants. Ugandans even wear the Arab khamiis with a Western suit jacket... it's not just the Somali traditional clothes they have made their own.

Before the Somali civil war Somalis exported Alindi to different countries

Why those Somalis sold and how did those somali invented or other somalis
Idk why Somalis sell their culture

Somalis sell everything.. the problem is with other ethnic groups claiming its theirs and renaming it instead of calling it SOMALI ALINDI.. they should have the decency to name it after the people they got it from.

Somalis sell everything.. the problem is with other ethnic groups claiming its theirs and renaming it instead of calling it SOMALI ALINDI.. they should have the decency to name it after the people they got it from.
But tho did Somalis sell the right of it or just normal sell like ppl buy wester cloths but they dont have right to copy or produce or make or rename it

@Jack sparrow

Why is Ms Uganda UK, wearing Alindi as if it's their traditional dress.. Somalis are too busy trying to be nice instead of protecting cultural assets and identity...a Somali man would not wear a khamiis and call it "traditional Somali dress".

Screenshot 2021-02-18 at 20.33.32.png

They call it traditional

Screenshot 2021-02-18 at 20.35.06.png

Oromos.. Ugandans- all these vultures should be called out and the Somali government should trademark Alindi and all other Somali fabrics and creations.. this is too much.

Screenshot 2021-02-18 at 20.36.44.png

Even in the fabric map of Africa-- Uganda claims Alindi and calls it Kikoi

Screenshot 2021-02-18 at 20.40.27.png

Tho did Somalis sell the right of tht fabrics or Somalis sold to those non somalis like normal as cloth but not right of the fabrics

Somalis did not sell the rights to it.. they sold the material like they sell other products.
For example some Somali ladies wear a Sari for fun.. and Somali men wear Arab khamiis.. However, Somalis do not claim as our own never mind renaming it altogether.

This is clear theft and Oromos especially need to stop.. they think because we're neighbours that they can just copy us.

Destiny

Shaah Enthusiast
Yes..

Not long ago there was a debate about the Diric on LSA and we all missed the fact that the Alindi was stolen and renamed under our noses.
I remember that! Sadly we got karbaashed by everyone lol. The Somali hate on LSA is real, people are always waiting to gang up on us. But I'm happy to see you on Sspot. I always loved your font.

I remember that! Sadly we got karbaashed by everyone lol. The Somali hate on LSA is real, people are always waiting to gang up on us. But I'm happy to see you on Sspot. I always loved your font.

Thanks sis! My LSA Gabdho, you are all near and dear to me. :it0tdo8:
We got gaslighted, ganged up on and our topic moved to the trash section.. That's why SomaliSpot is so important! We need to have a voice.

I saw Oromos wearing Alindi fabric...which is Somalia's traditional fabric.

il_340x270.2798367358_i5th.jpg
Honestly who cares though? I wouldn’t worry about it as half of the things we call ours is also borrowed. We wear the khamis which is borrowed from Arabs. We use henna which isn’t native to E. Africa and most likely borrowed from India. Even our direc is most likely borrowed from India since it’s so similar to the sari. The macawis is similar to what Malayasians(or is it Indonesian?)wear. The whole world is one of borrowing from one another. Nothing stays the same. The only way you can completely preserve your culture and fend off any type of cultural appropriation is if you live in remote regions like deep in the amazon forest.

Trending

Latest posts