Afro Asiatic languages compared

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard the omotic language is way older and got added to the afro asiatic category due to it being linguistically influenced by it and isolate before
Yeah but just because it's influenced by afro Asiatic doesn't mean it should be put as a part of it their are language isolates for a reason

Apollo

VIP
I was expecting Hausa to sound more Niger Congo influenced due to the location but it doesn’t .........

Chadic is close to Berber languages.

They came from R1b men from Italy mingling with Libyan Berbers, appropriating their language, and then pushing into Lake Chad and fucking Nilotic women and turning completely black. Later pushing West and incorporating Niger-Congo peoples as well (Nigeria).

Quite a backstory.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
@Apollo I think Chadic as a branch is the most conservative of the AA language family. It sounds like Cushitic, and it sounds like Semitic. If you told me that Hausa was a Cushitic language I would easily believe that. It sounds like Oromo to me. I think Berber is the most divergent outside of Omotic.

Apollo

VIP
@Apollo I think Chadic as a branch is the most conservative of the AA language family. It sounds like Cushitic, and it sounds like Semitic. If you told me that Hausa was a Cushitic language I would easily believe that. It sounds like Oromo to me. I think Berber is the most divergent outside of Omotic.

They share most vocab and grammatic structure with Amazigh. In the past, racist scholars tried to hide this because they assumed because of Chadic's blackness that they weren't AA at all. But more recent analyses show they are closest to Amazigh.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
They share most vocab and grammatic structure with Amazigh. In the past, racist scholars tried to hide this because they assumed because of Chadic's blackness that they weren't AA at all. But more recent analyses show they are closest to Amazigh.

That is interesting. I have always found it weird that the Hausa speak an AA language, while Fulanis speak a Niger Congo language. is there a reason for this? Did Fulanis originally speak an AA language?

Wow, Hausa sounds a lot like Amharic. The most divergent seems to be wolaytta which sounds like a Malayo-Polynesian language.

Fulanis are like Nubians, they seem to be language-shifted Afrasians.

Apollo

VIP
Fulanis are like Nubians, they seem to be language-shifted Afrasians.

Well, not really.. the Sub-Saharan part of Fulanis (range 85%-60%) is deeply connected to Senegambians. Even Nigerian and Sudanese Fulanis have this high Senegambian link. So they are not classic language shifters like Hungarians and Amharas.

They are a Senegambian population that absorbed Green Sahara (proto)-Berbers.

Wow, Tigre and Tigrinya sound identical to Arabic! Whilst Coptic, Berber, Amharic and Hausa sound similar to each other as well. Somali and Hebrew seem to stand alone amongst the AA family tree...

Wow, Tigre and Tigrinya sound identical to Arabic! Whilst Coptic, Berber, Amharic and Hausa sound similar to each other as well. Somali and Hebrew seem to stand alone amongst the AA family tree...
Check my other thread and try to guess which language is which no cheating
And yes I noticed that tigre sounds like Arabic but not tiggrinya my ajnabi friend said Somali sounds arabic

Check my other thread and try to guess which language is which no cheating
And yes I noticed that tigre sounds like Arabic but not tiggrinya my ajnabi friend said Somali sounds arabic

Yeah I’ve been told that Somali sounds like Arabic but honestly I can’t hear the resemblance at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending