African American Woman, Her Somali Husband & Children Relocated To Kenya

Has anyone been to her restaurant and Bakery in Nairobi called 'The Mug' that she co-owns with her Somali brother-in-law?

African American in Africa: Meet Pamela in Kenya!

Meet Pamela Mohamed in Kenya! Pamela moved from the U.S. to bustling Nairobi, Kenya with her husband and children to escape a hectic American lifestyle. That was almost five years ago and she hasn’t looked back since! Pamela shared wonderfully open insight on adjusting and settling into her life in east Africa!

tumblr_inline_pbsf08Vlsx1rm11ut_500.jpg

How long have you been living in Kenya and how long do you plan to stay there?

I’ve been here for almost five years. I’m not sure how long we will stay, but you never know where we will go next!

Is this the first country that you’ve been to in Africa?

This is my first time living in Africa, however I’ve been fortunate enough to have visited Senegal, Somalia and Uganda for business/work and Zanzibar for pleasure. My must-see places to visit, InshaAllah (God willing) are South Africa, Morocco and Ghana.

What brought you to Kenya?

I literally moved here for a change in life and opportunity and for our three children to experience a world outside of the States. My husband and I visited my brother-in-law who had moved here for a job in 2005. Fast forward, I came home from work one day very stressed out and told my hubby, “baby, let’s move to Kenya”. Two months later to the date we did just that. My Somalian born hubby was all for it.

tumblr_inline_pbsf08E2OI1rm11ut_500.jpg

Me with my amazing hubby Bashir.

Can you talk about what you do professionally?

I’ve been a registered nurse for over 20 years in the States and I made sure I immediately got my license here since I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do professionally. I completed the required training, and as of September 2013 I am a Registered Midwife. In addition, I graduated with a Masters of Public Health in December of 2013. My dream is to open a health center and provide excellent maternity and child care, InshaAllah.

I also co-own a restaurant and bakery with my brother-in-law called The Mug, in town. Alhamdulillah (Thank God) the restaurant is doing well. I feel there are more business opportunities here versus in the States.

tumblr_inline_pbsf09Ubq61rm11ut_500.jpg

The Mug (restaurant and bakery)

tumblr_inline_pbsf09iox61rm11ut_500.jpg

Delicious desserts on display in The Mug.

What advice can you give for African Americans who want to be involved in starting a business in Kenya or in Africa?

Find something you are passionate in, have patience and do not to be naïve or quick to trust people.

What’s life like in Kenya for you?
Our life here is good, Alhamdulillah. As long as I have my hubby and kids here I am happy and can live anywhere. I transitioned well but admit I stressed my poor husband out because when we first moved here I wasn’t busy and didn’t know a lot of people. My husband encouraged me to go back to school for my masters which took that boredom right out the door. Now I’m comfortable living here, have my own routine, meet great people and appreciating this experience of living abroad.

What do you love the most about living here?

• The quality of life is better here, especially for a family, and I’m able to spend more time with the kids.
  • Having an extra pair of hands (nanny/cook) to assist with cleaning, cooking, and transporting helps tremendously.
  • I love the weather. 99% of the time it’s perfect - not too hot and not too cold.
  • I love that my family is eating organic fresh foods and as well as healthier less processed food.
  • Importantly, I feel more comfortable being a practicing Muslim. Our children are able to learn even more about our religion. I enjoy spending the Ramadan month of fasting even more than just the date because there’s much more of a community here, even among the non-Muslims. I was surprised how many Eid greetings I would receive from friends who are not Muslims.
  • Our children attend a British curriculum private school where they are taught multiple languages: French, Kiswahili and Arabic, which I think is wonderful.
  • Everything is here! You can find any kind of restaurant, nice movie theatres, home massage treatments etc. And I have a young lady come to my house to do my daughter Naima’s and I’s hair.
tumblr_inline_pbsf0a6m0W1rm11ut_500.jpg

My daughter Naima touching a baby crocodile at Mambo Village.

Read the rest of the interview on the link below.

tumblr_inline_pbsf0bIkWv1rm11ut_500.jpg

My kids with their grandparents, visiting from Toronto, at one of the malls in Kenya.

Last edited:
@Samaalic Era aka Yusuf Indhocadde

You’re the only one who qashiined the thread of a successful Muslim family and I hope that Allah will reward you with 73 Muslim houris from Congo and Guinea in heaven.

I never commented negatively on a couple who are in love with one another let alone a happy and successful family like this one. Let ask @Lum

Are Muslim racists good Muslims?.

Yes I've been there, I believe---it was a few years ago. If I am right, its in the "town" area near the jamia mosque. It's popular with Somali business who go there after the friday prayers

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
@Samaalic Era

So you know this family well to openly say that they are "the least Muslims"? Sxb, did Yusuf Indhocadde teach you Islam?
We are all know your anti Somali agenda sxb. The only time you post so called successful Somalis are to spite Somali men or Somali familes in general by posting about Interracial couples to give the image that Somali families are all dysfunctional:ufdup:

@IslamIsTheAnswer

Bro, inoo deji.

We are all know your anti Somali agenda sxb. The only time you post so called successful Somalis are to spite Somali men or Somali familes in general:ufdup:

@Samaalic Era

Sxb, you remind me of my abti, who looks like dhuxul (reer mudug) and hates any dark/black woman who doesn't lighten her skin. It is a Mudug disease. He used to say these Africans are "danyeero" though they were more educated, productive, cleaner with a higher I.Q than him. I can't fight a Mudug disease, continue with your tirades against "black people" Ahmed Cadde.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Has anyone been to her restaurant and Bakery in Nairobi called 'The Mug' that she co-owns with her Somali brother-in-law?

African American in Africa: Meet Pamela in Kenya!

Meet Pamela Mohamed in Kenya! Pamela moved from the U.S. to bustling Nairobi, Kenya with her husband and children to escape a hectic American lifestyle. That was almost five years ago and she hasn’t looked back since! Pamela shared wonderfully open insight on adjusting and settling into her life in east Africa!

tumblr_inline_pbsf08Vlsx1rm11ut_500.jpg

How long have you been living in Kenya and how long do you plan to stay there?

I’ve been here for almost five years. I’m not sure how long we will stay, but you never know where we will go next!

Is this the first country that you’ve been to in Africa?

This is my first time living in Africa, however I’ve been fortunate enough to have visited Senegal, Somalia and Uganda for business/work and Zanzibar for pleasure. My must-see places to visit, InshaAllah (God willing) are South Africa, Morocco and Ghana.

What brought you to Kenya?

I literally moved here for a change in life and opportunity and for our three children to experience a world outside of the States. My husband and I visited my brother-in-law who had moved here for a job in 2005. Fast forward, I came home from work one day very stressed out and told my hubby, “baby, let’s move to Kenya”. Two months later to the date we did just that. My Somalian born hubby was all for it.

tumblr_inline_pbsf08E2OI1rm11ut_500.jpg

Me with my amazing hubby Bashir.

Can you talk about what you do professionally?

I’ve been a registered nurse for over 20 years in the States and I made sure I immediately got my license here since I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do professionally. I completed the required training, and as of September 2013 I am a Registered Midwife. In addition, I graduated with a Masters of Public Health in December of 2013. My dream is to open a health center and provide excellent maternity and child care, InshaAllah.

I also co-own a restaurant and bakery with my brother-in-law called The Mug, in town. Alhamdulillah (Thank God) the restaurant is doing well. I feel there are more business opportunities here versus in the States.

tumblr_inline_pbsf09Ubq61rm11ut_500.jpg

The Mug (restaurant and bakery)

tumblr_inline_pbsf09iox61rm11ut_500.jpg

Delicious desserts on display in The Mug.

What advice can you give for African Americans who want to be involved in starting a business in Kenya or in Africa?

Find something you are passionate in, have patience and do not to be naïve or quick to trust people.

What’s life like in Kenya for you?
Our life here is good, Alhamdulillah. As long as I have my hubby and kids here I am happy and can live anywhere. I transitioned well but admit I stressed my poor husband out because when we first moved here I wasn’t busy and didn’t know a lot of people. My husband encouraged me to go back to school for my masters which took that boredom right out the door. Now I’m comfortable living here, have my own routine, meet great people and appreciating this experience of living abroad.

What do you love the most about living here?

• The quality of life is better here, especially for a family, and I’m able to spend more time with the kids.
  • Having an extra pair of hands (nanny/cook) to assist with cleaning, cooking, and transporting helps tremendously.
  • I love the weather. 99% of the time it’s perfect - not too hot and not too cold.
  • I love that my family is eating organic fresh foods and as well as healthier less processed food.
  • Importantly, I feel more comfortable being a practicing Muslim. Our children are able to learn even more about our religion. I enjoy spending the Ramadan month of fasting even more than just the date because there’s much more of a community here, even among the non-Muslims. I was surprised how many Eid greetings I would receive from friends who are not Muslims.
  • Our children attend a British curriculum private school where they are taught multiple languages: French, Kiswahili and Arabic, which I think is wonderful.
  • Everything is here! You can find any kind of restaurant, nice movie theatres, home massage treatments etc. And I have a young lady come to my house to do my daughter Naima’s and I’s hair.
tumblr_inline_pbsf0a6m0W1rm11ut_500.jpg

My daughter Naima touching a baby crocodile at Mambo Village.

Read the rest of the interview on the link below.

tumblr_inline_pbsf0bIkWv1rm11ut_500.jpg

My kids with their grandparents, visiting from Toronto, at one of the malls in Kenya.

In the name of Allaah swt, I am going to withhold my nasty comments.

Mashalaaah.

Trending