Af Somali is going through a semetification process

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
If you are going to remove Arabic/Italian/English from Somali then that is probably almost half of the commonly used Somali vocabulary.

We will have to find new words for a lot of stuff, most importantly the name of our country.

Or we could just accept that our language like many modern languages has foreign loanwords.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
If you are going to remove Arabic/Italian/English from Somali then that is probably almost half of the commonly used Somali vocabulary.

We will have to find new words for a lot of stuff, most importantly the name of our country.

Or we could just accept that our language like many modern languages has foreign loanwords.
it really isn't half our commonly used vocabulary... :manny:

Because other people do it doesnt mean somali ppl should do it and Let non somali words stay since they removed their own words

you're the one who's acting like a child wecel. stop making shit up. misreading my posts and then calling me brainless.
Lol kid u have far to long sand ignore u but not anymore i didnt i misread your comment u clearly said noor isnt islamic name cuz it doesnt have word allah if then to u names tht have have word allah arent muslim names

alien

📍outer space
VIP
Lol kid u have far to long sand ignore u but not anymore i didnt i misread your comment u clearly said noor isnt islamic name cuz it doesnt have word allah if then to u names tht have have word allah arent muslim names
U are brainless tht insult someone over week fking obsessed kid wecel
you have no right to call someone brainless when you're struggling to actually read someone's post properly. you are not a child so stop acting like one

I've noticed that in poetry, when they're going for a certain type of alliteration, the use of Arabic words skyrocket.

You can't remove arabic from af somali when it's a core part of the language and old poetic somali contains many loan arabic words that are somalified and that is the standard af soomaali taught in education and spoken in the media let's not forget being the mother tongue of geeljire or nomads

A lot of other Muslims also use Arab words Bro, our Ancestors used to speak Arabic as their first language when they traded and economically benefited because of their contacts with the Arab world. I don’t see this as a Problem tbh, especially with the onset of Globalization and with the Somali diaspora in Arab countries.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
You can't remove arabic from af somali when it's a core part of the language and old poetic somali contains many loan arabic words that are somalified and that is the standard af soomaali taught in education and spoken in the media let's not forget being the mother tongue of geeljire or nomads
A lot of other Muslims also use Arab words Bro, our Ancestors used to speak Arabic as their first language when they traded and economically benefited because of their contacts with the Arab world. I don’t see this as a Problem tbh, especially with the onset of Globalization and with the Somali diaspora in Arab countries.
there is no issue in trying to preserve the cushitic part of our language. who cares if they are "somalified".

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
@piracy just give this up.

No-one is saying we are Arab, we are just telling you that Somali had a lot more loan words and a lot more Arab speakers pre-1972.

If you take out all the loan-words and replace them, Somali will cease to exist. Now millions of people are going to have to relearn a significant portion of their language again which costs money and resources as well as having implications for our society.

How can schools operate when we have to reteach 30% of the somali language again?

alien

📍outer space
VIP
@piracy just give this up.

No-one is saying we are Arab, we are just telling you that Somali had a lot more loan words and a lot more Arab speakers pre-1972.

If you take out all the loan-words and replace them, Somali will cease to exist. Now millions of people are going to have to relearn a significant portion of their language again which costs money and resources as well as having implications for our society.

How can schools operate when we have to reteach 30% of the somali language again?
it's pretty simple to replace the languages loanwords. Somalia right now has a low literacy rate. barely any television shows that kids watch. the only exposure people are getting from the Somali language is by people around them. just by changing loanwords and introducing them with exposure, it will not have a huge negative impact on our society.

you are exaggerating the amount of loanwords. Somali existed prior to the loanwords. Somali was fully functioning. Rendille is a Somaloid language that split round 1790- 2228. yet it is still a working langauge even while having next to no Arabic loanwords.

Trending