Af Somali is going through a semetification process

alien

📍outer space
VIP
Our language is going through a semetification process. somali people tend to overuse and promote Arabic and English loan words when there are somali equivalents. Arabic has a massive influence on our language

It should be our number 1 priority to standardise the Somali language and remove all loanwords, even if there is no somali counterpart. if there is no somali counterpart we will make a word up. all the best languages make words up. We can't be proud of our language if Arabic and English infiltrates. We must preserve our proud Cushitic heritage and our language before the semites infiltrates and before we become just like the habeshas

Last edited:

alien

📍outer space
VIP
Add classic somali names to the list. It is a travesty abdi something is associated with somalis.
the men having somali names is so uncommon. the women is slightly less uncommon. some people start naming their children non islamic arabic names. names that have nothing to do with prophets and just name them that because they think its better than a somali name

alien

📍outer space
VIP
I agree remove all non somali words add loan words languages tht share linguistic with somali language or made new somali words
I doubt any other Cushitic languages would have the words af somali doesn't have. the technical words should be made up. language is important for a successful country

the men having somali names is so uncommon. the women is slightly less uncommon. some people start naming their children non islamic arabic names. names that have nothing to do with prophets and just name them that because they think its better than a somali name
Prophet their names was given by their parent which means they gave them their culture islamic names muslim names means meaning of the name not how it is prounouns or sound
Also why muslims names must be prounouns arabic and sound arabic

alien

📍outer space
VIP
Prophet their names was given by their parent which means they gave them their culture islamic names muslim names means meaning of the name not how it is prounouns or sound
Also why muslims names must be prounouns arabic and sound arabic
when I said islamic im talking about naming after the sahaba or the prophet or other famous figures in islam. but now people are naming pointless, useless arabic names that have nothing to do with islam just because it is arabic

Baarisiyomoos

buuq iyo balaayo 🫧
Italian too has a significant impact on our language when those words already exist in Somali. We need to stop using them and use our own

Osmanya Was The Way But Niggas Wanted To Be Serfs

giphy.gif

when I said islamic im talking about naming after the sahaba or the prophet or other famous figures in islam. but now people are naming pointless, useless arabic names that have nothing to do with islam just because it is arabic
How do Prophet and sahaba be only islamic names sahaba had their names before they became muslims and they didnt change and Prophet had their names before they became Prophet so i am not your understanding you how Come islamic names is only prounouns arabic is it in the quran or did allah revealed only names tht is prounouns arabic are islamic cuz you point isnt making sense if sahaba names and Prophet names can be islamic then somali names are islamic

Our language is going through a semetification process. somali people tend to overuse and promote Arabic and English loan words when there are somali equivalents. Arabic has a massive influence on our language

It should be our number 1 priority to standardise the Somali language and remove all loanwords, even if there is no somali counterpart. if there is no somali counterpart we will make a word up. all the best languages make words up. We can't be proud of our language if Arabic and English infiltrates. We must preserve our proud Cushitic heritage and our language before the semites infiltrates and before we become just like the habeshas
I think it's because of globalization.

so because of globalisation we are supposed to just give up and let these languages take over. I say no. we should make Somali great again :fittytousand:
I love the Somali language but a large downside is that everything in our culture is passed down through oral. Somali from 1000 years ago probably is a lot different then Somali today.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
How do Prophet and sahaba be only islamic names sahaba had their names before they became muslims and they didnt change and Prophet had their names before they became Prophet so i am not your understanding you how Come islamic names is only prounouns arabic is it in the quran or did allah revealed only names tht is prounouns arabic are islamic cuz you point isnt making sense if sahaba names and Prophet names can be islamic then somali names are islamic
? it's an Islamic name because they are important figures in Islam that people admire. you're just going to sit here and say the name Muhammad is not Islamic. it is because they are important in islam

alien

📍outer space
VIP
I love the Somali language but a large downside is that everything in our culture is passed down through oral. Somali from 1000 years ago probably is a lot different then Somali today.
yea also I mentioned in another thread that it's possible parts of our culture or history is lost because its an oral language that people can choose to exclude

yea also I mentioned in another thread that it's possible parts of our culture or history is lost because its an oral language that people can choose to exclude
Yeah that's the sad part. However if we can learn more about the Kingdom of Punt we can uncover lots of our old culture!