Af May May

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maxa tiri is not the newer version of Somali. Maxa tiri and Afar/Saho were once one language.

May tiri sounds foreign to me, and the notion that it is the original Somali language is illogical because:
1. Somalis migrated from north to south, not south to north. So it makes sense that the original language is spoken in the northern regions.
2. May tiri is generally spoken by one clan. If it is the original, then why did all the other clans disown it?
3. May tiri is too distinct to be a dialect; therefore it is a different language. Even Scandinavians with their faux languages understand each other better than two Somalis who speak May tiri and Maxa tiri.

Correct, every linguist worth their degree will tell you this. Af maay is in many was more archaic than af maxaa tiri.

That's true. It's the ancient form of Somali that was abandoned and rejected by most Somalis, hence the name Af may ( short for maya). Most speakers of mainstream Somali find Af may incomprehensible. Anytime D&M speak their dialect, they would be inundated with questions ( war/nayaa maxaa tiri) and so the name of the mainstream dialect was born. :mjkkk:

*This lesson in history was brought to you by our sponsors Amal Express and Puntlandi.com

I've heard that explanation before, but can you post some evidence suggesting Af-May is the original? I've always understood that the two languages are like Spanish and Portuguese, both offshoots of a long dead language.

That makes a lot more sense. To me af maxaa tiri is the most athletic form of Somali (the northern Puntland one). The rest seem like a dialect version of it with random borrowed words. Excluding af may and that language Barwani speak.

S

Shamis

Maay waa inaan baranno maybe it has less Arabic words? We need to integrate both languages ASAP.

That's true. It's the ancient form of Somali that was abandoned and rejected by most Somalis, hence the name Af may ( short for maya). Most speakers of mainstream Somali find Af may incomprehensible. Anytime D&M speak their dialect, they would be inundated with questions ( war/nayaa maxaa tiri) and so the name of the mainstream dialect was born. :mjkkk:

*This lesson in history was brought to you by our sponsors Amal Express and Puntlandi.com

Wait what ?? how is it an ancient form of Somali? , i was under the impression that they speak a more mixed somali language.

This makes no sense.

S

Shamis

I can understand - maybe you need to learn more maxaa tirri. Stop the Oromo accusations, you don't speak Oromo so how do you know - pere paranoia lol

Rooble

Suldaanka Gobyare
VIP
Af May May or Maxaa Tiri , who cares. Both should be taught and learned. Rahanweyn are as pure Somalis as others. DNA proves this. Af May or Maxaa Tiri developed over time with isolation or contact with other groups. Language is language, not ancestry. Just because one speaks Frisian and the other Dutch, doesn't make them any less Germanic in descent.

Rooble

Suldaanka Gobyare
VIP
You can't be serious right now? War yaa waxaan ila arko?
May tiri is a foundation created by the conquered people. (Oromos/Bantus)
Rahaweyn although ethnically Somali, have distant cousins in Oromia. Hence why they speak a different dialect.
Which is the reason their language is may tiri, and not maxaa tiri.
People were assimilated into clans. Adopting our language. Our customs and religion.
Ex: Garre people. Once Oromo, now Somali.
Garre was never Oromo, just because they border Oromos and a share of them speaks Oromo now doesn't make them Oromo in descent. You have to differentiate between language and ethnicity.

Quranyow are Dir in ancestry, so they are full fledged Somalis.

Language is language, ancestry is ancestry.

Garre split strictly into two branches, Tuuf and Quranyow. Tuf are neither Hawiye or Raxanweyn. They are related to Galjeecel and Degoodia in belonging to Gardheere Samaale according to their oral history. Quranyow (religious nickname) Maxamed Xiniftere Mahe Dir was a Wadaad who married Tuufs daughter and that is how the two became alligned. Gunther Schlee did a lot of research on the Garres and his findings also support their oral abtirsi. Only in the South do they come under the Raxanweyn confederation due to their isolation from other Garres and assimilation into the Digil umbrella. The Garres in Mandheera district are mostly Quranyow whilst the ones in Moyaale/Marsabit are Tuuf.

The following is an abtirsi submitted to James Dahl by a Digil Garre Quranyow individual.
http://www.abtirsi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=915&abtirsiLang=1

The following is a Somali girl on Ummahforum, stating she is Garre(Quranyow) and Dir.
http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?316357-Are-Somalis-Arab/page2

Gunther Schlee source
34gu593.jpg

Another source stating Quranyow is Dir in ancestry.
ixquz9.jpg

Refrain from accusing them of being assimilated Oromos, for they are true Somalis.

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
Why should that make sense?

Logic. When a tribe or a group of people leave their homeland and settle elsewhere, they adapt to their new environment and with that language, traditions, and culture change over time as they form a new identity.

Logic. When a tribe or a group of people leave their homeland and settle elsewhere, they adapt to their new environment and with that language, traditions, and culture change over time as they form a new identity.
Makes sense because of logic. Language is influenced by environment. Got it. So you have no actual evidence?

The only thing you said that I agree with is that language, etc. change over time, but that would mean both Af-May and Af-Maxa Tiri have changed.

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
Makes sense because of logic. Language is influenced by environment. Got it. So you have no actual evidence?

The only thing you said that I agree with is that language, etc. change over time, but that would mean both Af-May and Af-Maxa Tiri have changed.

Evidence of what? That language is influenced by environment or?

Maxa tiri as I said before was one with Afar/Saho so yes it has evolved. I have little knowledge on May tiri and its origin so I can't comment on that. One thing I do know is that May tiri is too dissimilar to be the forebearer of Maxa tiri.

Why is rooble lying?. Digil iyo Mirifle are bunch of sheegatos. Go down south you will see soo many Bantu and Oromo hybrids claim Raxanweyn. They are the only clan who have a practice called Shegad. This is why they were considered lower caste

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
Hmmm everything I said I thought was common knowledge.

Where are you guys getting your information about maay?

I have never heard anyone say that Af-May is old Somali, but I've heard that it is a separate Cushtic language.
Since you're from the south, how mutually intelligible are Af Tunni and May?

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
I have never heard anyone say that Af-May is old Somali, but I've heard that it is a separate Cushtic language.
Since you're from the south, how mutually intelligible are Af Tunni and May?

af tunni is just a different version of maat, there are a few I believe. Somalis call things accents af, so I think that's where some of the confusion lies. Example af abgaal, clearly just maxa tiri but if you didn't know you would think abgaals have they're own language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts