Adal Sultanate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abkaal

Mudug menaces don't mince their words
Jamāl al-Dīn Muhammad II (d. 1432), the Sultan of Ādal Dynasty of North Somalia was popular for being extremely pious in his religion, severe to his enemies and wielded equal justice to criminals.

He and the Ethiopian emperor Yeshaq I or Isaac (d.1429) were contemporaries. They fought each other for sometime and sometimes Jamāl al-Dīn would win and sometimes Yeshaq would win. Eventually it lead to Yeshaq being killed in battle. This constant fighting lead to numerous Amhara slaves being populated in the Hijaz, Persia, India, Hormuz, Egypt and Sham.

His justice was so encompassing that all feared its consequence, be they royal, common, rich, poor, serviceman or laymen alike. His rule was least corrupt and crime was barely heard of.

al-Maqrīzi reports one case wherein the Sultan son while playing with other younger children strikes one and breaks his arm. After time passes the Sultan hears of the news and furious calls all involved to court. The Sultan asks the victims parents for desired sentence and they expressed that they have forgiven the matter. Nonetheless the Sultan then orders that his sons arm be broken there and then.

Everyone in attendance cries and asks for leniency but when no one seems to want to carry out the punishment, the Sultan grabbed an iron bar and broke his sons arm. While the boy was crying out and the court attendees likewise, the Sultan calmly approached his son and told him: "Feel now yourself what you made others feel."

Adal_Sultanate.png

All Somalis are from there? Southerners too? find it hard to believe

When i look for history i usually try to pinpoint MY clans history. Not gonna claim others

Virtually all Somali clans used to live much further north. Why do you think Hawiye (Karanle) can be found in Somali Galbeed? Biyomaal, Qubeys iyo Surre Dir were neighbours of the Northern Dir clans.

In terms of clan founder graves, you can find within a small area- the graves of the patriarchs of Isaaq, 'Ise, Gadabuursi, Daarood and even one of the main branches of Hawiye.

Our people were scattered by the wars with Ethiopia and the Oromo expansion.

Dhulka Jubbayinka iyo inta waqooyiga Kenya mar dhow bay Soomali soo degen.

Actually I need to go and check this. I'm not saying we were absent from the south but just that we were concentrated in a smaller area.

Last edited:
Virtually all Somali clans used to live much further north. Why do you think Hawiye (Karanle) can be found in Somali Galbeed? Biyomaal, Qubeys iyo Surre Dir were neighbours of the Northern Dir clans.

In terms of clan founder graves, you can find within a small area- the graves of the patriarchs of Isaaq, 'Ise, Gadabuursi, Daarood and even Hawiye.

Our people were scattered by the wars with Ethiopia and the Oromo expansion.

and what of the Ajuuraan Sultanate which is in the South?

and what of the Ajuuraan Sultanate which is in the South?

I need to read more about them. I've heard conflicting things about the founders of the Ajuuraan.

The Ajuuraan was the more southern counterpart to Adal and arguably ties with it as the greatest medieval Somali kingdom.

World

VIP
This map is absolutely false neither ajuuraan nor adal we're that big plus where is the warsangali sultanate
There was no such thing as the "Warsangeli Sultanate" 500 years ago sxb. There was only Harti.

The Adal Sultanate included the Harti regions as far as Sanaag (Meit):

"Somali forces contributed much to the Imām’s victories. Shihāb ad-Dīn, the Muslim chronicler of the period, writing between 1540 and 1560, mentions them frequently (Futūḥ al-Ḥabasha, ed. And trs. R. Besset Paris, 1897). The most prominent Somali groups in the campaigns were the Geri, Marrehān, and Harti – all Dārod clans. Shihāb ad-Dīn is very vague as to their distribution and grazing areas, but describes the Harti as at the time in possession of the ancient eastern port of Mait. Of the Isāq only the Habar Magādle clan seem to have been involved and their distribution is not recorded. Finally, several Dir clans also took part."

Lewis, I.M. (1960). "The Somali Conquest of Horn of Africa". Journal of African History. 1 (2): 223. Retrieved 18 March 2018

Von

With blood and Iron will we reach the fatherland
When i look for history i usually try to pinpoint MY clans history. Not gonna claim others
111111-png.36285
333-png.36283
22-png.36284
444-png.36282

there were more Kingdoms in the region then we realized such as Fatigar kingdom, and the Adea kingdom which controlled the coastline along Xamaar. It mentions that Adals kingdom was from Bab el Mandeb (Djibouti)and Cape Guardafui (Somalia)

World

VIP
It is for Samaroons (Dir clan)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Not true. The most influential Somali sub clan in the campaigns of the Adal Sultanate were the Darood:

"The most prominent Somali groups in the campaigns were the Geri, Marrehān, and Harti – all Dārod clans."

Lewis, I.M. (1960). "The Somali Conquest of Horn of Africa". Journal of African History. 1 (2): 223. Retrieved 18 March 2018

Xaagi-Cagmadigtee

Guul ama Dhimasho
I will take I.M. Lewis' comments with a pinch of salt. Dir such as Gurgura, Habar Magadle and others played equally as prominent role in the wars as any other clan -- Somali or not.

World

VIP
I will take I.M. Lewis' comments with a pinch of salt. Dir such as Gurgura, Habar Magadle and others played equally as prominent role in the wars as any other clan -- Somali or not.
The only significant non Somalis who contributed to the wars were the Harla, who were absorbed by the Darood as Harla Kombe, the brothers of Harti. They also live in the vicinity of Harar.

As for the Afars, none of any of their sub clans were even mentioned unlike the Somalis and Harlas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending