A Group of Somali Sailors in the Backroom of Berlin's Milk Bar, 1950

General Asad

And What Is Not There Is Always More Than There.
Vintage Tim Hortons

ERI8vLQW4AEDms_.jpeg

Story behind it:

All of these men would have lived in boarding houses owned by the shipping companies and ethnically segregated - Chinese, Maltese, Arab, Somali, etc - each entitled to 30 cubit feet of air space.

General Asad

Boarding house keepers had a lot of power, they would be de facto guardians to men new to the country, they were their post office, bank and social centre.

In Cardiff in 1951, one boarding house keeper, Sheir, was accused by Somali sailor, Khaireh, of not returning £200 he had left with him for safe keeping. As Sheir played dice in the street, Khaireh approached him from behind and shot him three times, killing him.

Despite saying he killed in self-defence Khaireh was convicted. He was found 'insane' and sent to Broadmoor rather than the gallows, before deportation to Somaliland the next year.

Sheir has been first secretary of the Peel Street Mosque and it was first thought that the killing had a political/religious motivation. The mosque was split into 2 factions, one more Sufi and one more hardline, & at one fractious meeting the police had had to intervene.

ERJBZ-yW4AAbQGH.jpeg
ERJBaSUXkAIOp8W.jpeg

"According to the original caption, Kaid is a seamen, originally from Aden, who was torpedoed during the Norway campaign and spent 18 days on a raft, suffering terrible frostbite. He and one other man were the only survivors on the 38-strong crew." https://flashbak.com/fascinating-photos-of-the-muslim-community-in-cardiffs-tiger-bay-1943-416750/…

Exodus

Alienist
Can you imagine the excitement of being a Somali in the '50s and '60s? Witnessing the birth of a democratic nation united under one flag, watching the world rapidly modernize; so much to look forward to :rejoice:

General Asad

Can you imagine the excitement of being a Somali in the '50s and '60s? Witnessing the birth of a democratic nation united under one flag, watching the world rapidly modernize; so much to look forward to :rejoice:

And look at us now. 40-50 years later. That time has come and gone, fleeting. The country has never been more divided and will likely never see unity or peace ever again. I feel sorry for the older generation :(. I wonder if these men are still alive?

Macalin M

Out here
One of these guys got killed for killing a white person even though it was a Jamaican that killed the white person.

I remember seeing this picture in my GCSE history book.

edit: I don’t know if it’s one of the guys in this photo but this photo was on the page where it talked about the events that lead to his execution.

Last edited:

Figo

|Garowe|Jalam|Galkacyo|
VIP
I saw the thread about the Somali sailors on twitter. Thanks for sharing it on here.

CaliTedesse

I ❤️ Islam & Aabo Kush. Anti-BBB Anti-Inbred
VIP
The war caused brain drain and more fuglyness in the Somali community kkkkkkk

Trending