A full somali got haplogroup A1b1-M118!

World

VIP
No, it’s an ancient Nilotic haplogroup that is found among Cushitic people from even Tanzania(Iraqw), likewise common among all Ethiopians. And it’s found in 3 % of Egyptians.

I've seen a Gerikombe 100% Somali with that. There is a Xarla too with it and apparently a Karanle. Quite common for that region (Harar areas). It is the Oromo one though.

I've seen a Gerikombe 100% Somali with that. There is a Xarla too with it and apparently a Karanle. Quite common for that region (Harar areas). It is the Oromo one though.
He is 98.9% somali, 1% Ethiopia and Eritrea (somali region) and 0.1% Unassigned. I saw Oromo get the same haplogroup in Reddit.

Amazing. This haplogroup seems to be a regular occurrence in the region. If all of them carry the same sub clade then it could be an indigenous Hararge lineage whose people got assimilated by the Somali tribes in the region

World

VIP
Amazing. This haplogroup seems to be a regular occurrence in the region. If all of them carry the same sub clade then it could be an indigenous Hararge lineage whose people got assimilated by the Somali tribes in the region
That wouldn’t explain how it ended up in North Africa, Arabia and Europe as well.

Since the Tanzanian Iraqw have it, and they took a different migration route(South Cushitic people avoided the Horn) i am assuming it’s an Ancient haplogroup that Cushitic people brought with them from Egypt/Sudan.

Libaax-Joore

Beesha haplogroup e-by8081
VIP
He is 98.9% somali, 1% Ethiopia and Eritrea (somali region) and 0.1% Unassigned. I saw Oromo get the same haplogroup in Reddit.
My wife got Russian maternal haplogroup she is 100 percent 💯 somali ancestors composition
IMG_6143.jpeg

IMG_6141.jpeg

Last edited:
That wouldn’t explain how it ended up in North Africa, Arabia and Europe as well.

Since the Tanzanian Iraqw have it, and they took a different migration route(South Cushitic people avoided the Horn) i am assuming it’s an Ancient haplogroup that Cushitic people brought with them from Egypt/Sudan.
Yes this what I meant. It’s an ancient lineage. If the Darood, Dir, Hawiye etc from those regions carry the exact sub clade within 1500 TMRCA it could very well be a Hararge lineage

My wife got Russian maternal haplogroup she is 100 percent 💯 somali ancestors composition
View attachment 307926
View attachment 307928
That's maternal haplogroup, us somalis in particular have diverse maternal haplogroup, mine is Persian in origin, haplogroup R0a2. But paternal haplogroup A is ancient and rare. If I am not mistaken, on average somali population are about 60% L and 40% Eurasian maternal such as M, N, R, HV, U, I, J and etc

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
That's maternal haplogroup, us somalis in particular have diverse maternal haplogroup, mine is Persian in origin, haplogroup R0a2. But paternal haplogroup A is ancient and rare. If I am not mistaken, on average somali population are about 60% L and 40% Eurasian maternal such as M, N, R, HV, U, I, J and etc
I have to be honest. The mtdna haplogroup breakdown is not known. It is speculative based on admixture. I believe that is misleading. No one really knows. They merely estimate.

I've seen it. I prefer not to speculate. We don't all have the same relative list on 23andme. So it's just conjecture.
Even in the thread it's inconsistent, one individual reported his relative list had a ratio of 47% L and 53% Eurasian maternal HG, I could not do mine cause it's time consuming.

R0a2 isn’t Persian, it came to the Horn with Cushites. There’s a reason there’s entire subclades of R0a2 that are exclusively dominated by Horners.Most of our maternal lineages are Cushitic in origin except the Horner HG lineages like L0a1d (quite common among Somalis) or clearly Arabian ones (quite rare)