A final solution to the “we aren’t black” discussion

Xoxoxo

VIP
I’m being realistic. AAs don’t want to be called that either, they like FBA to separate from immigrants

All that is irrelevant to the topic.
AA this AA that, why should you worry about what they are doing with their own lives? Some refer themselves as being black, others as being off African descent, others being native to the Americas Ann’s others being FBA. What they do with their own time has nothing to do with you, me or any other person.

It’s incredibly insensitive for a lot of people here to act like this against them and showing how we are supposedly more “Superior” than them,

Nobody cares. You are seen as black, people will identify you as a black person. Move on!

The same black people you’re trying to separate from are called African. Nigerians, Malians, Congolese etc.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Excellent point. they don't want to be labeled by a social construct, but proudly label AA,West africans, and Afro caribbeans as the same social construct they don't want to be labeled by!!!

AA this AA that, why should you worry about what they are doing with their own lives? Some refer themselves as being black, others as being off African descent, others being native to the Americas Ann’s others being FBA. What they do with their own time has nothing to do with you, me or any other person.

It’s incredibly insensitive for a lot of people here to act like this against them and showing how we are supposedly more “Superior” than them,

Nobody cares. You are seen as black, people will identify you as a black person. Move on!
Right, this is what I don't understand, you move to the western world, and acted shock when they give you a western label. lmaoo

You don't want to identify as black? fine, but don't be shocked when people call you black, don't be shocked when they call you the N word.

I’m being realistic. AAs don’t want to be called that either, they like FBA to separate from immigrants

All that is irrelevant to the topic.
FBAs are only something you find online, and are a minority among black americans.

this has nothing to do with this topic.

Show respect to people who made it possible for you to work and live in America happily. I don't understand why these kids who immigrated to or was born after their families migrated to America try to look down AAs by constantly bringing up slavery. It is not like the Africans who were enslaved had any choice. They did everything in their power to remove the shackles placed on them by European colonizers and settlers in America.

Reality is, the descendants of former slaves in America and the Caribbean came out of that heinous condition by constantly resisting it, and it is the fruits of their struggle that new immigrants from Africa to America and EU are reaping.

But instead of being grateful, we constantly get this 'slavery' charge that people like this girl run with. Frankly, Somalis are dumb and ungrateful people. What I don't understand is what is going for Somalis that some of us need to be this arrogant constantly? People who are from the most failed state on earth have the loudest mouths. I can't believe it. Or perhaps it is that inadequacy that they try to look down on other people. Something is wrong with the Somali psyche that they try to look down on people who have done them no harm.
Absolutely! the disrespect Black americans/AA face is appalling! they're the ones who paved the way for African and Afro caribbeans to enter the U.S!!! yet the get disrespected in return!

Descendants of West/central slaves in The U.S and the Caribbean haven't even gotten reparations for our ancestors being enslaved, yet Black american culture and Afro caribbean culture is the most intimidated, and the most disrespected!!!

I see many somalis looking down on Afro-Caribbeans and AA, hell even looking down at west/central africans, simply because we're madows!!!

Yet i see the somali diaspora in the west mimicking AA/Afro caribbeans/West-Central Africans by
Twerking
whining
participating
listening to rap/hip-hop and other Black american music genres
listening to afro beats
copying certain hairstyles!!!

GuanYu

Custom title
Absolutely! the disrespect Black americans/AA face is appalling! they're the ones who paved the way for African and Afro caribbeans to enter the U.S!!! yet the get disrespected in return!

Descendants of West/central slaves in The U.S and the Caribbean haven't even gotten reparations for our ancestors being enslaved, yet Black american culture and Afro caribbean culture is the most intimidated, and the most disrespected!!!

I see many somalis looking down on Afro-Caribbeans and AA, hell even looking down at west/central africans, simply because we're madows!!!

Yet i see the somali diaspora in the west mimicking AA/Afro caribbeans/West-Central Africans by
Twerking
whining
participating
listening to rap/hip-hop and other Black american music genres
listening to afro beats
copying certain hairstyles!!!
Listening to rap-hip-hop is not copying....

Xoxoxo

VIP
Listening to rap-hip-hop is not copying....
We copied their music, our most famous musical era was in the 80s and is heavily based on Blues, jazz & Disco. All created by AA.

mee copied other black people hairstyles, mannerism and music but want to look down on them and refer them being lower then us?

We copied their music, our most famous musical era was in the 80s and is heavily based on Blues, jazz & Disco. All created by AA.

mee copied other black people hairstyles, mannerism and music but want to look down on them and refer them being lower then us?
So what, Cadaans and whole world imitate certain AA culture and individuals and they still look down on them

Their culture today is toxic and degenerate and not fit for Somali muslims except the believers among them ofc

Xoxoxo

VIP
So what, Cadaans and whole world imitate certain AA culture and individuals and they still look down on them

Their culture today is toxic and degenerate and not fit for Somali muslims except the believers among them ofc
Go cry somewhere else you idiot. They build the US from the grounds and made it possible for you somali Americans to even come live there and be treated good, or else you would have suffered the same fate as they did.

I am just so sick and tired of you lot here, Howe can you claim being a Muslim meanwhile you’re looking down on somebody else just because they have different features?

well guess what! You lot also have course hair, darker skin on average if it wasn’t for skin bleaching and wider features. Practice your faith properly instead of ridiculing allah’s creation and considering it to. Be ugly!

GuanYu

Custom title

I Do not know why you are directing this at me, I did not defend racism or Looking down on anyone.

I simply stated that listening to Rap is not Copying...

Diaspora ambassador

''Dagaalka gala'' Garaad Jaamac Garaad Cali
VIP
Show respect to people who made it possible for you to work and live in America happily. I don't understand why these kids who immigrated to or was born after their families migrated to America try to look down AAs by constantly bringing up slavery. It is not like the Africans who were enslaved had any choice. They did everything in their power to remove the shackles placed on them by European colonizers and settlers in America.

Reality is, the descendants of former slaves in America and the Caribbean came out of that heinous condition by constantly resisting it, and it is the fruits of their struggle that new immigrants from Africa to America and EU are reaping.

But instead of being grateful, we constantly get this 'slavery' charge that people like this girl run with. Frankly, Somalis are dumb and ungrateful people. What I don't understand is what is going for Somalis that some of us need to be this arrogant constantly? People who are from the most failed state on earth have the loudest mouths. I can't believe it. Or perhaps it is that inadequacy that they try to look down on other people. Something is wrong with the Somali psyche that they try to look down on people who have done them no harm.
Bro what do we have to do with the struggles of AA?

The white boogeymen oppressed them, and removed some of the oppression.

We have nothing to do with that. Their struggles are their own. Just like how our struggles are our own. They like to group us and others with them, just so they can group us in the same oppression.

What we need is to move up the 🪜. Without becoming coons. We have people who are muslim wo we can ally with.

I wish them good luck tho. We are there for our own outcome not to cater to aa struggles

Diaspora ambassador

''Dagaalka gala'' Garaad Jaamac Garaad Cali
VIP
Go cry somewhere else you idiot. They build the US from the grounds and made it possible for you somali Americans to even come live there and be treated good, or else you would have suffered the same fate as they did.

I am just so sick and tired of you lot here, Howe can you claim being a Muslim meanwhile you’re looking down on somebody else just because they have different features?

well guess what! You lot also have course hair, darker skin on average if it wasn’t for skin bleaching and wider features. Practice your faith properly instead of ridiculing allah’s creation and considering it to. Be ugly!

Sis, we don't all look down upon them. They are actually the best of group of black people across the world. They are just disunited. Imagine a black political group for blacks. A black state with a trillion dollar gdp.

They got iberia look at the historical events that happened over there since the usa colonized it for AA.

Fun fact AA look down upon africans just as much as it happens the other way around.

They were also forced to build the infrastructure for the whites. They did not know that somalis and other africans would come to the usa. How about the asians?

1/3 of the original slaves were muslim aun to them. We can't pray for the rest.

Tell an ados fella about your heritage and you are public enemy n.o 1

The most common reasons I hear against identifying as Black are:
  1. We're different/unique to other "Black" people (who are mainly Niger-Congo speaking Africans or African Americans). We have our own culture, history etc., and by adopting the "Black" label we're assimilating into a culture and identity that is foreign to us.
  2. The label "Black" was created for African slaves who were shipped to the Americas to degrade them and disconnect them from their roots (it's a slur that replaced the N word), there's no reason for us to identify as such and willingly strip ourselves of our own true and meaningful identity
  3. We're more related to MENA's than to other SSA groups (genetically & culturally) and shouldn't group ourselves with people we have little in common with
  4. It's a social construct that has no meaning so it's useless to identify with it
Fair sounding but:

1. "Black" refers to diverse groups of dark-skinned people who have different languages, cultures/traditions, history etc. It's true that African Americans dominate "Black" identity due to media and having greater influence (similar to how Northwestern Europeans dominate "White" identity) and seem to have a monopoly on the label, however it isn't monolithic but is instead an umbrella label for vastly different groups of people who are predominantly dark-skinned. A Somali isn't any less "Black" than an Italian is "White".

2. Subsaharan Africans were always identified as "Black" due to our noticeably very dark complexion. It isn't an alternative to ethnic identity, you don't have to give up one for the other; you can still be proud of your unique culture and heritage. Colourism/anti-blackness is a problem that dates well before the East/West African slavetrade and so it being used derisively/as a slur doesn't mean that's how the label came about. Even if you shun it for that reason you will still experience anti-blackness from racist people.

3. We (Horners, esp. Somalis) are generally a dark-skinned people. You may feel that you "have more in common with MENAs than SSA" but even MENAs identify you (and have always identified you) as Black. And again, this isn't a grouping based on commonality but complexion.

4. Race is a social construct, true. I think this is what complicates this discussion. "Black" isn't anymore of a race than "Brown" is. MENAs, South Asians, South Americans etc., aren't seen as a single "race" yet are all identified as "Brown" people. So the mistake would be in seeing "Black" as referring to a single race of people. Dictionary definition: a member of a dark-skinned people, especially one of African or Australian Aboriginal ancestry. (Oxford dictionary)

If we're being honest, a big reason why a lot of us don't want to identify as Black is due to our own prejudice as well as the negative associations of slavery and oppression attached to that label. But denial and dismissing the label doesn't change the reality that we are Black, are perceived by others as being Black and as a result are also susceptible to facing anti-blackness.

Why can’t we just be called African. That’s it. Period.

If they want all black people to identify together then that should be under the label “African” as all black people are from Africa.

Asians don’t have to identify as yellow, because they are smart and know White people gave them that name to look down on them, so they threw it out and consider it racist. But black people are fine with black despite it being a PC term for former slaves/ slave descendants aka nword.

So, why not just use African? Identify as black is triggering to some people who are not descendants of slaves, as they see it as an inferior and derogatory term.

As for North Africans they are African too and they will be like Middle easterners who don’t really identify as Asian and no one is thinking of them when they say or think Asian, but no one can deny that they are Asian despite looking and being different from other Asians.

Since everyone seems to be obsessed with Somalis and our every move, yes I’m talking about you non-somali lurkers reading this, this will spread fast.

NO MORE BLACK, AFRICAN ONLY.

I already know some ADOS aka slave descendant black Americans won’t like this because they look down on Africans and don’t want to identify as such. Yet get mad when somalis don’t want to identify as black.

Good idea or not?
:superman::win:
Alot of african americans dont identify at all with africa as we know. Same way your average white american doesn't identify with being irish or german or something.

The term "black" is something thats sort of stuck for them, but if you think about it, the word black and the way its used TODAY is more like how the west tends to view people; that is homogenously in like a handful of races (example is like in the US its legally white, black, native, and islander which is insane for obvious reasons but its generalisation).

These labels literally dont mean shit outside of countries like the US; you're not "black" in africa (save for some places), and youre not "white" in europe (exceptions). This is why i think it doesnt make much sense for anyone to judge if youre black or not, when stepping into the west immediately as a sub saharan african gets you chucked into the same box as anyone who looks like you, and results in being treated more or less the same.

We know personally how different our culture is to like african americans or whatever, and same with other africans, but since the general public doesnt know anything about that they're gonna judge from surface knowledge and observations, so its unwillingly a part of your identity to be a black person.

Naturally you're gonna identify as african if you live in africa but the way i see it if you go to the west you'll become both african and black, cause whether you come from slaves or not, that history unfortunately affects you in some way or another (atleast in my experience). Im confident in this being fact, but you can definetely have a different takeaway from it like refusing the black label cause its forced on you.

I personally feel fine having the black label, regardless of validity or whatever other shit people seek from african americans, cause at the end of the day black identity today is a much bigger concept than african americans. That said, i identify much more with being Somali.

Mac Sonkor

I LIKE HEAVY METAL!!!!

Modern somali music was based of off the traditional folk music. Look at Cabdi Sinimo's Balwo. The guy who introduced foreign influences was Abdullahi Qarshe, he mixed Arabic & Indian tunes with traditional folk music. He also wrote most of the songs from that era

You're making it sound like we've never done anything original in music when the artists who CREATED modern somali music were extremely original and of the highest calibre. Please have some respect for those artists

Last edited:

Trending

Latest posts