79% of Somalia's GDP in 2020 was foreign aid and remittances

Reborn
SL is slowly prospering even without recognition currently, look at how Berbera is becoming an ever greater generator to our GDP despite not being the main economic hub of JSL

It is the main economic hub though...
Over 70% of SL budget comes from custom/port TAX across the country.Atleast there will be growth and development in this sphere which will increase domestic revenue.The issue is increasing the collection of inland TAX and it's one of the main goals of the gov at the moment.

Last edited:
I doubt anyone who isn't actively involved in the government honestly declares/reports their income, either way we're in a bad place.

DalsanJubiland

HartilandWaamoJoore
It is the main economic hub though...
Over 70% of SL budget comes from custom/port TAX across the country.Atleast there will be growth and development in this sphere which will increase domestic revenue.The issue is increasing the collection of inland TAX and it's one of the main goals of the gov at the moment.
Not true
They are still get hand out
Most of their budget is foreign eid from UK, Europe and US support

Reborn
Not true
They are still get hand out
Most of their budget is foreign eid from UK, Europe and US support

Bullshit

94% of the budget for SL 2021 came from internal revenue sources and 6% from donors...
Where is your evidence to support your statement as mine is from the annual budget document :mjlol:

Last edited:

Helios

Certified Liin Distributor
AQOONYAHAN
VIP
The current admin went from 70% domestic revenue under HSM to sub 40% currently

How can anyone with braincells support this president?
:farmajoyaab:

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
This is extremely bleak, whats preventing an industrial revolution in Somalia?

lack of energy source power grids are nonexistent and if I as a factory owner want to open one Ill have to pay exorbitant amounts of money just for access to electricity.

Hormuud charges you 0.34 cents per KW now compare that to Ethiopia which charges 0.008!

This is down right criminal and you can see the benefit of government monopoly on essential services!

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP

lack of energy source power grids are nonexistent and if I as a factory owner want to open one Ill have to pay exorbitant amounts of money just for access to electricity.

Hormuud charges you 0.34 cents per KW now compare that to Ethiopia which charges 0.008!

This is down right criminal and you can see the benefit of government monopoly on essential services!
How are they able to charge so low, what's their energy source?

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP

Ethiopia subsidizes electricity and has very cheap hydropower. These two things put together mean that energy costs are very low in Ethiopia. Somalia on the other hand relies on diesel imports to generate electricity using inefficient small generators.

What Somalia needs are a couple of Chinese coal power plants on the coast next to ports like Berbera, Bosaso, Garacad, Mogadishu and Kismayo which can then provide baseload power for solar and wind generated inland. We can easily import Indian and South African coal.

Building HVDC wire from the coast to the major cities in the interior will be expensive. Somalis are cursed by the fact that outside of Mogadishu, Kismayo and Bosaso, the vast majority of our population live inland. This makes everything more expensive than it should be due to transport costs.

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
Ethiopia subsidizes electricity and has very cheap hydropower. These two things put together mean that energy costs are very low in Ethiopia. Somalia on the other hand relies on diesel imports to generate electricity using inefficient small generators.

What Somalia needs are a couple of Chinese coal power plants on the coast next to ports like Berbera, Bosaso, Garacad, Mogadishu and Kismayo which can then provide baseload power for solar and wind generated inland. We can easily import Indian and South African coal.

Building HVDC wire from the coast to the major cities in the interior will be expensive. Somalis are cursed by the fact that outside of Mogadishu, Kismayo and Bosaso, the vast majority of our population live inland. This makes everything more expensive than it should be due to transport costs.
Ethiopia is going to take over the power market at this rate, I fear their hydro dam shall dominate the horn and we are left behind with shitty diesal generators.

Why go for coal when we can install solar power plants as well. I dont know about Bosaso but Kismaayo levies even a worst rate than Xamar at around 50 cents a kW which is ludicrous!

Even if we did have a power grid we dont have a sufficient railroad/highway system to transports goods to and from the porta. Everything is hindered by lack of transport.

For God sake we dont even have a fixed address system in our largest city Mogadishu we truly are the anus of the world

SonOfMaverick

"I don’t live in darkness, darkness lives in me."
Somalia is a service economy, if you subtract the foreign aid and remittances. Personally i wouldn't call it a service economy but a 'isbaaro' economy.

Mainly warlords in Mogadishu causing instability before selling you the protection from the instability they caused through private security companies. It's a racket for them, and they have no incentive to change things
There is no future in that hellhole. :bell:
No wonder the youngsters living there are trying to flee to the west.
:mjpls::mjpls:

The current admin went from 70% domestic revenue under HSM to sub 40% currently

How can anyone with braincells support this president?
:farmajoyaab:
Actually domestic revenue went up, however the foreign aid levels went up faster. We went from 150 mill per year to 700 mill per year

No worries , fellas , as @Kool-Aid will say
our future is soaked in Oil .

aZmnxNX_700b.jpg

No worries , fellas , as @Kool-Aid will say
our future is soaked in Oil .

View attachment 193589

Yep, Somali oil will improve the lives of Somalis!

Som

VIP
BS. Do you have a credible source for this BS?
Here is your source.
It's from 2013 so it could be lower right now

According to Somaliland’s National Development Programme, unemployment among youth stands at 75 per cent, which is much higher than the nation’s average of 61.5 per cent in urban areas and 40.7 per cent in rural and nomadic areas. Unofficial estimates show that at least 65-70 per cent of Somaliland’s 3.5 million people are under 30.

Trending

Latest posts