3 Minneapolis cops won't face charges in shooting of Somali American man

BetterDaysAhead

#JusticeForShukriAbdi #FreeYSL
VIP
202187637638967883713331.jpg

Photo: Family. Dolal Bayle Idd

Three Minneapolis police officers who fatally shot a Somali American man after police said he fired at them will not be facing charges.

Dolal Idd was shot on December 30, 2020 during a sting operation, during which police used an informant to set up a gun purchase from Idd, who was being investigated for illegal weapons dealings, prosecutors said.

Dakota County Attorney Kathy Keena reviewed the case per request of Hennepin County. Keena said that while Idd's death was tragic, the officers were justified in using deadly force after Idd fired at them, and there was no basis for criminal charges.

"The use of deadly force by a peace officer is justified to protect the officer or another person from death or great bodily harm," Keena said in the investigative summary. "It is my conclusion that given the facts and circumstances of this incident, it was objectively reasonable for the three peace officers to believe Mr. Idd posed a deadly threat to them and other officers at the scene at the time they fired their weapons."

According to the investigation, officers surrounded Idd when he arrived at the gas station where the purchase was supposed to take place. Prosecutors said he ignored officers' commands and tried to drive away. After officers pinned-in the car he was driving, he fired through the driver's side window, striking the hood of a police car.

Officers Paul Huyhn and Jason Schmitt and police Sgt. Darcy Klund all returned fire, hitting Idd multiple times. A passenger in Idd's vehicle was not injured.

The summary from Kenna's office said the three officers all said they fired at Idd "because they believed Mr. Idd was either trying to kill them and/or the other peace officers at the scene." Klund also said he fired to defend other customers in the parking lot. Prosecutors said body camera video and a statement from Idd's passenger support police statements that Idd fired first.

202187637638968976211650.jpg

Dolal Idd's family said they were hoping for a different outcome in the case. Bayle Adod Gelle, center, father of Idd, marches outside the Minnesota State Capitol building on May 24 in St. Paul, Minnesota. STEPHEN MATUREN/GETTY IMAGES

Idd's death was Minneapolis' first police-involved death since George Floyd died months earlier while being restrained. Police Chief Medaria Arradondo released some body camera video from Idd's shooting the day after it happened, saying he wanted the public to see it for themselves, as the city was trying to stem public anger.

Jaylani Hussein, executive director of the Minnesota chapter of the Council on American Islamic Relations, said Idd's family wants Minnesota Governor Tim Walz to assign the case to the state's attorney general, Keith Ellison. Hussein also said the family has not been able to see any of the body camera video in the case before learning that there would be no charges filed.

"We hoped that this case would at least have a different outcome, but these county prosecutors seem to be really not interested in working with the family," Hussein said.

The Minneapolis Police Department had no statement on the prosecutor's findings.

Three Minneapolis police officers who fatally shot a Somali American man after police said he fired at them will not be facing charges.

Dolal Idd was shot on December 30, 2020 during a sting operation, during which police used an informant to set up a gun purchase from Idd, who was being investigated for illegal weapons dealings, prosecutors said.

Dakota County Attorney Kathy Keena reviewed the case per request of Hennepin County. Keena said that while Idd's death was tragic, the officers were justified in using deadly force after Idd fired at them, and there was no basis for criminal charges.

"The use of deadly force by a peace officer is justified to protect the officer or another person from death or great bodily harm," Keena said in the investigative summary. "It is my conclusion that given the facts and circumstances of this incident, it was objectively reasonable for the three peace officers to believe Mr. Idd posed a deadly threat to them and other officers at the scene at the time they fired their weapons."

According to the investigation, officers surrounded Idd when he arrived at the gas station where the purchase was supposed to take place. Prosecutors said he ignored officers' commands and tried to drive away. After officers pinned-in the car he was driving, he fired through the driver's side window, striking the hood of a police car.

Officers Paul Huyhn and Jason Schmitt and police Sgt. Darcy Klund all returned fire, hitting Idd multiple times. A passenger in Idd's vehicle was not injured.

The summary from Kenna's office said the three officers all said they fired at Idd "because they believed Mr. Idd was either trying to kill them and/or the other peace officers at the scene." Klund also said he fired to defend other customers in the parking lot. Prosecutors said body camera video and a statement from Idd's passenger support police statements that Idd fired first.

Dolal Idd's family said they were hoping for a different outcome in the case. Bayle Adod Gelle, center, father of Idd, marches outside the Minnesota State Capitol building on May 24 in St. Paul, Minnesota. STEPHEN MATUREN/GETTY IMAGES

Idd's death was Minneapolis' first police-involved death since George Floyd died months earlier while being restrained. Police Chief Medaria Arradondo released some body camera video from Idd's shooting the day after it happened, saying he wanted the public to see it for themselves, as the city was trying to stem public anger.

Jaylani Hussein, executive director of the Minnesota chapter of the Council on American Islamic Relations, said Idd's family wants Minnesota Governor Tim Walz to assign the case to the state's attorney general, Keith Ellison. Hussein also said the family has not been able to see any of the body camera video in the case before learning that there would be no charges filed.

"We hoped that this case would at least have a different outcome, but these county prosecutors seem to be really not interested in working with the family," Hussein said.

The Minneapolis Police Department had no statement on the prosecutor's findings.

Where are the protesters? Every Somali and their grandma were out on the streets for George Floyd, why are they silent now?

More somalis would have supported him, if it wasnt the guys background going to jail for the same reason that caused the police to open fire. However, there were three cops we only saw one of the videos where are other three? I advocate for third party to manage police video cameras to maintain integrity.

They do that with white criminals all the time so why not?
So how do they disarm someone who's shooting at them anyways? Here where I live which is not America btw.. The police will shoot you if you are armed and attack them, sometimes the criminals survive and sometimes they die, but they don't differentiate between white or black.. I've never experienced police harassing me for no reason apart from one time when I was like 17-18 years old.

Boqorada

F*ck Your Feelings
So how do they disarm someone who's shooting at them anyways? Here where I live which is not America btw.. The police will shoot you if you are armed and attack them, sometimes the criminals survive and sometimes they die, but they don't differentiate between white or black.. I've never experienced police harassing me for no reason apart from one time when I was like 17-18 years old.
Tasers exist for a reason. They definitely differentiate between black and white. Tasers and calm approach for white criminals and gun/violence for POC.

Tasers exist for a reason. They definitely differentiate between black and white. Tasers and calm approach for white criminals and gun/violence for POC.
I think it's an American issue.. Anyway I don't see how tasers and calm talking would help calm down a criminal who's shooting at you.. If I was a police officer I would probably shoot them before they shoot me.. Don't care about their color a criminal is a criminal.. Are you in America? Maybe banning guns would bring down gun violence?

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
68 IQ on high today!!! LORD!
A taser? How do you tase a nigga that’s shooting st you from a car? Tasers can go 10 ft that’s roughly two fifth graders lol. Running up and tasing an active shooter who’s in a car is a death sentence.

@Abdisamad
Don’t listen to them bro, these prople are fine with cops killing random unarmed african American men because they’re black but get mad when a somali criminal shoots at police that are literally surrounding him because he has an arrest warrant. Then they will try to gaslight you for defending innocent men being killed but not a nigga that asked for a death sentence. I’m from MN and I know this mans history, he woulda either died by gang affiliation or drugs within 5 years. I don’t want to speak badly about a dead person but these are the kind of somali men that take the lives of innocent folks who ended up in the wrong place in the wrong time. A five year okd girl was killed when gangs started a drive by shooting at a PLAYGROUND!

I feel bad for his family, they’ve struggled with their boys. But this man doesn’t deserve “justice”. If anything his victims deserve justice, everyone in Minnesota already knows he’s not innocent they’re just doing this to not bring shame to the family. Somalis will never learn.

Last edited:

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
They shouldn't face charges if he was shooting at them. That's a clear cut case in my opinion. Next time they protest for an innocent victim, it won't be taken serious.

Boqorada

F*ck Your Feelings
68 IQ on high today!!! LORD!
A taser? How do you tase a nigga that’s shooting st you from a car? Tasers can go 10 ft that’s roughly two fifth graders lol. Running up and tasing an active shooter who’s in a car is a death sentence.

@Abdisamad
Don’t listen to them bro, these prople are fine with cops killing random unarmed african American men because they’re black but get mad when a somali criminal shoots at police that are literally surrounding him because he has an arrest warrant. Then they will try to gaslight you for defending innocent men being killed but not a nigga that asked for a death sentence. I’m from MN and I know this mans history, he woulda either died by gang affiliation or drugs within 5 years. I don’t want to speak badly about a dead person but these are the kind of somali men that take the lives of innocent folks who ended up in the wrong place in the wrong time. A five year okd girl was killed when gangs started a drive by shooting at a PLAYGROUND!

I feel bad for his family, they’ve struggled with their boys. But this man doesn’t deserve “justice”. If anything his victims deserve justice, everyone in Minnesota already knows he’s not innocent they’re just doing this to not bring shame to the family. Somalis will never learn.
& he's not white, I found it weird that they act like he wasn't doing anything .
Anywhere in the world if you shoot at cops you finished
Are you people slow? Do you know how many active white shooters get bats on the back, sweet talked to putting their gun down, handcuffed then taken to shake shack if they've been good boys after slaughtering dozens? They could've talked him down like they do with the thousand other whites then handcuffed him if he infact was even shooting at them but you know we can't ask him since he's dead and it's his word against there's. Cops never lie right?

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
Are you people slow? Do you know how many active white shooters get bats on the back, sweet talked to putting their gun down, handcuffed then taken to shake shack if they've been good boys after slaughtering dozens? They could've talked him down like they do with the thousand other whites then handcuffed him if he infact was even shooting at them but you know we can't ask him since he's dead and it's his word against there's. Cops never lie right?

Bro all those instances they didn’t open fire on the cops. 90% of the time cops shoot back, they can’t baby a grown nigga shooting at them.

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP

It’s no lie; there’s footage. He started shooting first when they told him to come out of the car. I wouldn’t defend the cops if they didn’t have video evidence. The Somali community would’ve gone hard if we hadn’t known the truth. But we do, he strated shooting. Police didn’t escalate anything, the man escalated it himself.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP

AUN

He shot at the cops from the inside

Sister they have white privilege, American police already are killing people who have no weapons we cant find an excuse for someone who shoot first at the cops

Trending

Latest posts