2021 will be the toughest year yet for Puntland region

There are many reasons why I believe 2021 will be the roughest year yet for Puntland region:

1) Weak economy:

Puntland historically has had a problem balancing its books. The entire desert region generates only $93,466,666. And what is an abysmal sum to begin with, will dwindle down even further with any headwinds due to Covid-19 in 2021. Earlier in the year, the World Bank provided a bleak outlook for Puntland's economy, stating that revenue shortfall due to interruptions to international trade would amount to a staggering 68 percent deficit in Puntland region!

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.32.40.png

It is impossible to run an administration on this amount. Even one as limited as Puntland region.

And if this was not enough, Puntland region is facing an eye-watering hyperinflation crisis, to the tune of close to 50%. This is the sixth highest inflation rate in the world, and 3rd highest in all of Africa. The poorest will be hit hard, especially now that they can not even pay taxes in their local currency:

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 20.13.19 copy.png

2) Berbera taking business from the already struggling Bosaso.

Bosaso port, Puntland region's only source of hard currency will face its toughest year to date in 2021 when the already dominant port of Berbera opens up its new facilities. A lot more of Puntland region's businesses are moving their operations to Berbera, simply due to the bulk nature of Berbera's containerised facility. They can get their wares much cheaper if transported in bulk. And Somaliland will continue to offer generous GPS-tracked tax-exemptions to imports destined to Puntland. This is a major cause for concern to the statelet's administration.

Then we have the fact that dry-ports will be built at Gambadhe in Sool as well as Ceerigaabo district which will hurt any business Bosaso was getting from those two regions.

3) Continued military encroachment on areas previously controlled by Puntland region.

Somaliland has been bullying the desert region for years. Everyone knows the history of Puntland militia being the only entity with a losing track record. So much territory was lost by the desert dwellers to Somaliland across every single Puntland administration and I foresee 2021 to be a continuation of this trend. We have seen their calaacal following the loss of Tukaraq, the threats of "dagaalki qarniga", the fundraising and appeals to diaspora.. of course these threats never materialised. Somaliland will continue to push the starving Puntland militia and I fully expect more territory to be lost.

Lets revisit this thread in December 2022.

There are many reasons why I believe 2021 will be the roughest year yet for Puntland region:

1) Weak economy:

Puntland historically has had a problem balancing its books. The entire desert region generates only $93,466,666. And what is an abysmal sum to begin with, will dwindle down even further with any headwinds due to Covid-19 in 2021. Earlier in the year, the World Bank provided a bleak outlook for Puntland's economy, stating that revenue shortfall due to interruptions to international trade would amount to a staggering 68 percent deficit in Puntland region!

View attachment 162507

It is impossible to run an administration on this amount. Even one as limited as Puntland region.

And if this was not enough, Puntland region is facing an eye-watering hyperinflation crisis, to the tune of close to 50%. This is the sixth highest inflation rate in the world, and 3rd highest in all of Africa. The poorest will be hit hard, especially now that they can not even pay taxes in their local currency:

View attachment 162508

2) Berbera taking business from the already struggling Bosaso.

Bosaso port, Puntland region's only source of hard currency will face its toughest year to date in 2021 when the already dominant port of Berbera opens up its new facilities. A lot more of Puntland region's businesses are moving their operations to Berbera, simply due to the bulk nature of Berbera's containerised facility. They can get their wares much cheaper if transported in bulk. And Somaliland will continue to offer generous GPS-tracked tax-exemptions to imports destined to Puntland. This is a major cause for concern to the statelet's administration.

Then we have the fact that dry-ports will be built at Gambadhe in Sool as well as Ceerigaabo district which will hurt any business Bosaso was getting from those two regions.

3) Continued military encroachment on areas previously controlled by Puntland region.

Somaliland has been bullying the desert region for years. Everyone knows the history of Puntland militia being the only entity with a losing track record. So much territory was lost by the desert dwellers to Somaliland across every single Puntland administration and I foresee 2021 to be a continuation of this trend. We have seen their calaacal following the loss of Tukaraq, the threats of "dagaalki qarniga", the fundraising and appeals to diaspora.. of course these threats never materialised. Somaliland will continue to push the starving Puntland militia and I fully expect more territory to be lost.

Lets revisit this thread in December 2022.
How can someone who hails from a desert region call Puntland desert?
I can understand Somalis from the south calling PL desert, but not you. Also, the territories loses you're bragging about belongs to a group of people who are well known to be slip sloppers. One minute they say they're with PL, and next minute SL. That's not really a conquest. When PL lose places like Bosaso, Garowe, Qardho, or Galkacyo then you can brag. But I must admit their inflation problem is a concern. But I think they'll be fine. They've overcame much big problem than that. Anyway, I'm out.

How can someone who hails from a desert region call Puntland desert?
I can understand Somalis from the south calling PL desert, but not you. Also, the territories loses you're bragging about belongs to a group of people who are well known to be slip sloppers. One minute they say they're with PL, and next minute SL. That's not really a conquest. When PL lose places like Bosaso, Garowe, Qardho, or Galkacyo then you can brag. But I must admit their inflation problem is a concern. But I think they'll be fine. They've overcame much big problem than that. Anyway, I'm out.

The hyperinflation problem is the result of their weak economy.

They have been covering it up by printing counterfeit currency to stay afloat all along. Now they have the double whammy of still having a weak economy whilst also experience 3rd highest inflation rate in Africa.

This is a recipe for disaster.

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
The new Puntland budget debunks the World Bank estimate from June.

In any case, I'm sure Puntland will fare better than Somaliland. Officials have embezzled funds from all significant projects except the one managed by the UAE.

Berbera corridor road.

This was presented to us as a "transformative project". The 200 km road project has been suspended and equipments lie idle.

The defunct Burco airport.

The 14 million dollars meant to be reopen it has been stolen. They have no idea where it went.

Burco - Ceerigaabo road.

This project has been going on for almost a decade. It's still a dirt road and work was suspended due to clan fighting.

Water crisis in Somaliland

Somaliland's equivalent to the GERD, the Xumboweyn dam project ended in failure due to corruption. It lies derelict and unable to provide water to the citizens of Hargeisa.

The Somaliland government's answer? Bore more holes and export water to Djibouti.

I didn't have time to add all the personal corruption by Somaliland's president Muuse Biixi. The list is too long.

Last edited:
Two very important points to consider are also:

- Rampant corruption in Puntland region:

1) Puntland region is the only administration where aid organisations had to cancel aid projects due to corruptions. Examples:

- €20.7 million German investment cancelled due to "rampant" corruption

- UNICEF suspends program in Puntland region due to corruption:

2) Corruption in Puntland region was so widespread, that some God-fearing Ministers resigned from their post, citing "swelling" corruption in the government!!

- Lack of foreign investment

Puntland region's inability to get any foreign direct investment is well documented. International investors are simply not interested in the desert region. I expect this trend to continue throughout 2021. I quote a previous post I made below:

There appears to be a pattern of Puntland seeking foreign investment, being promised some money and development. And then investors deciding against working in that region.

Examples:

1- The $464 million dollars promise

Puntland asked Dahabshiil and Hyundai to invest in their region. Promises were made of $464 million in investment. Now 15 months later, not a cent was invested in PL:

2- The $336 million dollars promise

Puntland asked small ports operator P&O for investment. $336 million dollar contract was signed. Three years later, P&O has not invested a single cent in Bosaso:

3- The Garacad port lie, from fake 40 million to fake 180 million

(The timeline in this case is important):

November 2018:
The Garacad port project first started as a proposal for a small rickety project reported to cost only $40 million dollars:

March 2020:

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 22.41.58.png

Total cost still around the original 40 million.

20 June 2020

Galmudug announces Hobyo project at a cost of 90 million USD (the number is important, keep it in mind).

4 July 2020

Less than two weeks later, Puntland starts claiming that their Garacad port project, which they claimed was going to cost around 40 million, is now suddenly going to cost exactly double Hobyo port's cost, 180 million USD to be precise! :ftw9nwa:

This new 180 million figure is not based on anything, just a nice little figure they pulled out of thin air to one up Galmudug. To say I am surprised that a regional state is this petty is an understatement. We all knew Puntland cooks its numbers, but this has to be the most blatant case of this.

4- Sale of Bosaso airport to an unknown shell company

Recently, Puntland administration announced that they sold Bosaso airport to to a company called TISL UAE. A quick search of this name reveals there is actually no company that manages airports with this name, in fact, all the search results are Somali sites:

Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 12.54.45.png

Not a single desert dweller from Puntland is able to answer the question of, what exactly is TISL UAE. Chances are, this is a repeat of the P&O fiasco (see above) and no meaningful investment will materialise.

2021 will be a tough year for the desert dwellers of Puntland.

Only Allah can help them.

Last edited:

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
Two very important points to consider are also:

- Rampant corruption in Puntland region:

1) Puntland region is the only administration where aid organisations had to cancel aid projects due to corruptions. Examples:

- €20.7 million German investment cancelled due to "rampant" corruption

- UNICEF suspends program in Puntland region due to corruption:

2) Corruption in Puntland region was so widespread, that some God-fearing Ministers resigned from their post, citing "swelling" corruption in the government!!

- Lack of foreign investment

Puntland region's inability to get any foreign direct investment is well documented. International investors are simply not interested in the desert region. I expect this trend to continue throughout 2021. I quote a previous post I made below:

There appears to be a pattern of Puntland seeking foreign investment, being promised some money and development. And then investors deciding against working in that region.

Examples:

1- The $464 million dollars promise

Puntland asked Dahabshiil and Hyundai to invest in their region. Promises were made of $464 million in investment. Now 15 months later, not a cent was invested in PL:

2- The $336 million dollars promise

Puntland asked small ports operator P&O for investment. $336 million dollar contract was signed. Three years later, P&O has not invested a single cent in Bosaso:

3- The Garacad port lie, from fake 40 million to fake 180 million

(The timeline in this case is important):

November 2018:
The Garacad port project first started as a proposal for a small rickety project reported to cost only $40 million dollars:

March 2020:

View attachment 162580

Total cost still around the original 40 million.

20 June 2020

Galmudug announces Hobyo project at a cost of 90 million USD (the number is important, keep it in mind).

4 July 2020

Less than two weeks later, Puntland starts claiming that their Garacad port project, which they claimed was going to cost around 40 million, is now suddenly going to cost exactly double Hobyo port's cost, 180 million USD to be precise! :ftw9nwa:

This new 180 million figure is not based on anything, just a nice little figure they pulled out of thin air to one up Galmudug. To say I am surprised that a regional state is this petty is an understatement. We all knew Puntland cooks its numbers, but this has to be the most blatant case of this.

2021 will be a tough year for the desert dwellers of Puntland.

Only Allah can help them.

The German funded road is actually undergoing a survey.

Garacad seaport is fake? You can taste the salt at this point.

If Somalilanders didn't spend 1/3 of its GDP on khat, it too would have been able to fund its own projects.

I know this project stings when you tried convincing us fishing piers in Hobyo and Maydh would put it out of business.

:russ:

The assessment above is a very reasonable outcome, and based on the current trajectory of Puntland region, it is actually the most probably outcome for the desert administration.

All statements above on issues such as hyperinflation, lack of foreign investment, military losses and rampant corruption are common knowledge, citations were nevertheless provided.

Puntland region is struggling, this much is clear. It is interesting that no one, not even the desert dwellers themselves, is arguing against what I said.. they are simply resorting to rudimentary FKD in hopes of obfuscating the discussion.

2021 will be a very difficult year for this struggling administration.

Fair assessment for 2021. Puntland brought in the new year by signing Bosaaso airport to a non existent company named TISL from UAE. I've searched everywhere for this TISL and it's harder to find than Waldo. Not a good start :mjkkk:

@TabK is what Matt Bryden is to Somali Politics, to Puntland. He knows inside out. :westbrookswag:

When are you going to open your "Puntland Studies" course in Hargeisa National University?

On a serious note, Maamulka Garowe is on borrowed time. It is been diminishing year after year and has been choosing one incompetent leader after another.

@TabK is what Matt Bryden is to Somali Politics, to Puntland. He knows inside out. :westbrookswag:

When are you going to open your "Puntland Studies" course in Hargeisa National University?

On a serious note, Maamulka Garowe is on borrowed time. It is been diminishing year after year and has been choosing one incompetent leader after another.

Puntland region was set up to fail from the start.

Even 100 years ago, this region was facing the same challenges they suffer from today. Their ports were doing very small business, and their local economy was built around scavenging shipwrecks and petty piracy.

Puntland region was set up to fail from the start.

Even 100 years ago, this region was facing the same challenges they suffer from today. Their ports were doing very small business, and their local economy was built around scavenging shipwrecks and petty piracy.

They excel in illegal activities like Piracy, Human Trafficking, underground arms trading, Terrorism... you name it. If it is Haram black-economy, then they are the professionals.

convincation

Soomaali waa Hawiyah Iyo Hashiyah
VIP
The assessment above is a very reasonable outcome, and based on the current trajectory of Puntland region, it is actually the most probably outcome for the desert administration.

All statements above on issues such as hyperinflation, lack of foreign investment, military losses and rampant corruption are common knowledge, citations were nevertheless provided.

Puntland region is struggling, this much is clear. It is interesting that no one, not even the desert dwellers themselves, is arguing against what I said.. they are simply resorting to rudimentary FKD in hopes of obfuscating the discussion.

2021 will be a very difficult year for this struggling administration.
Why do you keep calling puntland a desert somaliland ain’t no meadow either

being from hirshabelle the lack of greenery in both your states is beyond me:whew:

Trending

Latest posts