What Foreign Somalis Should Know Visiting Somalia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jjero

MO-G GROUPIE ♡
Mosques are everywhere. Youre always less than a 5 minute walk from one. What's there to lie about?
There's like two for every neighborhood, I've lived in Somalia for 13 years where as I can remember 9, And I know damn well there ain't no Mosque every neighborhood lmao

No one cares though its not like someones gonna kill you? Do you even love there anymore?

Nope. I been there a few times for 1-3 months each time.

I can write a book on my experiences there and what is taboo and what is expected.

Also when I was there, this peaceful place according to the diaspora had a gun fight between rival locals.. clashes between whose turn it was to use the portable water well drill even though it belonged to a foreign charity. I am sure this wasn't mentioned in the diaspora media. I hid under my bed in case a bullet came into the house. It was like Baghdad for a few hours.

Always exercise extreme caution in that country at all times. The rule of law can sometimes be nonexistent. I am sure those who were involved in the clashes in the middle of the neighborhoods were not disciplined.

There's like two for every neighborhood, I've lived in Somalia for 13 years where as I can remember 9, And I know damn well there ain't no Mosque every neighborhood lmao

I have added musallah into the mosque list. There is a mosque or musallah every two blocks. Everyone knows this.

Causally throwing figures around like you've seen 90% of somalis

Spare us the Suugo Science pls S/O to @Arsene Wenger

It's called a sample. The sample (you use the sample of the strangers you see outside) is my evidence. 90% of people did not stop what they were doing and go to the mosque when the adhaan was being played. They kept doing what they were doing. Khat, coffee, shopping, chilling.

Galaeri

USC | Ururka Bililiqada iyo Kufsiga
Rumour has it... if you are a girl you have to wear a jilbaab or they'll call you a and throw stones at you. I'm just SHOCKED at the absurdity of that.

That's only in some regions. And yes the children may throw rocks at you.

:mugshotman:

Also make sure you have enough sleep because guests will come at your home 5 in the morning and will come to your room and just start making themselves feel at home and will start screaming for shaah and food while you're sleeping. There is no shame with the locals.

There is no sleeping in. The family won't wake you up but the loud guests who came every hour will not let you sleep.

:jcoleno:
That's so true. Somaliland/Somalia has no seasons so every day the sun sets at 6pm and rises at 6am. We used to get so many guests coming to us at 5-6am in the morning. The problem is I am a late sleeper, so I got to sleep by 1-2am and had to be awake by 6am. It was crazy.

Jjero

MO-G GROUPIE ♡
I have added musallah into the mosque list. There is a mosque or musallah every two blocks. Everyone knows this.

It's called a sample. The sample (you use the sample of the strangers you see outside) is my evidence. 90% of people did not stop what they were doing and go to the mosque when the adhaan was being played. They kept doing what they were doing. Khat, coffee, shopping, chilling.
Yes there are many Musallahs, as Somali elders and men always go there fasting month.
Many of them were big, But since I wasn't allowed there I never saw if they prayed there.
But there are max 3 mosques every block since Somali houses are really close to each other neighborhoods are really small. People go to the Mosque on Fridays only time Muslims need to pray in Mosques is fasting month. If you mean that there are two every block then thats probably a Mosque where Somali girls go for Eid prayers or learning Quran, But those weren't that common.

@AbdiJohnson what does one do for fun if you don't have any family where you're visiting? How do you respond when some1 asks your qabil? Can I just chill at a local teaspot?

Are you not going to your parent's clan city? How don't you have family there?

When someone asks your qabiil, you tell the truth. If you lie, they will call you a sheegato Oromo.

I guess you can just chill at the shaah place.

But you need your Westernized local cousins and diaspora cousins with you to have fun, especially if you can't speak English.

My typical day was go out in the morning to downtown, come back home for lunch, go out again in the different hotels for deserts and a light mean and then go to the beeraha in the outskirts from evening and enjoy nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts