What Foreign Somalis Should Know Visiting Somalia

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who've been there, what did you only realize when you got there? How to avoid getting yourself in danger? What to do? What certain cities are like? And etc

Don't wear shorts

Don't wear a wifebeater

Only drink bottled water and soda

Don't eat at the restaurants or you'll get terrible food poisoning

Make sure the maids wash the meat before cooking

Some homes only have outhouses

Don't go outside at night without a car

Always take your local cousin with you to the stores or you'll get hustled bad

Never be seen with a non relative girl alone

Never turn down an invitation to eat at a guest or relatives house because they make a shit ton of food for you and it's the biggest insult to turn it down.

No one prays there (outside of my family at least) but never talk about atheism or lack of belief with anyone even though alot of people insult Islamic figures there for some reason

Always make sure you leave your shoes and belongings in a hidden place because guests always come in and out of the house and will rob you

Also make sure you have enough sleep because guests will come at your home 5 in the morning and will come to your room and just start making themselves feel at home and will start screaming for shaah and food while you're sleeping. There is no shame with the locals.

There is no sleeping in. The family won't wake you up but the loud guests who came every hour will not let you sleep.

Jjero

MO-G GROUPIE ♡
Don't wear shorts

Don't wear a wifebeater

Only drink bottled water and soda

Don't eat at the restaurants or you'll get terrible food poisoning

Make sure the maids wash the meat before cooking

Some homes only have outhouses

Don't go outside at night without a car

Always take your local cousin with you to the stores or you'll get hustled bad

Never be seen with a non relative girl alone

Never turn down an invitation to eat at a guest or relatives house because they make a shit ton of food for you and it's the biggest insult to turn it down.

No one prays there (outside of my family at least) but never talk about atheism or lack of belief with anyone even though alot of people insult Islamic figures there for some reason

Always make sure you leave your shoes and belongings in a hidden place because guests always come in and out of the house and will rob you
Where did you live?? :mugshotman:

Rumour has it... if you are a girl you have to wear a jilbaab or they'll call you a and throw stones at you. I'm just SHOCKED at the absurdity of that.

Jjero

MO-G GROUPIE ♡
Doesn't matter.

People only pray Jumah and the entire outside of the mosque is full. Every other prayer, the mosques are only at 25% capacity.
It does though because there are some cities or villages where Somalis aren't that religious. Plus many people pray at home, My brother used to go to friday prayer right after dugsi but other days he and my family pray at home. Even mosques are used to learn kids or adults Quran sometimes, So there are no space to pray. I can confirm since I have practically lived there all my life.

Rumour has it... if you are a girl you have to wear a jilbaab or they'll call you a and throw stones at you. I'm just SHOCKED at the absurdity of that.

I'm not sure about that. I've only ever seen women who didn't wear jilbaabs get catcalled and thats the worst.

Its a very knew phenomenon, wearing heavy jilbaabs that is. Pre-2007, seeing people wearing jilbaabs was pretty rare.

The arabisation of our culture is only going to get worse before it gets better

Also be aware of the locals (all do this) who pick their nose in public. They will roll it in a ball with their fingers and will flick it at any direction with total disregard at whose direction they threw it at. It can end up landing in your mouth or face if you don't pay attention

Also, make sure not too ask for extra food all the time because they usually save a plate for any poor locals who come by who are hungry.

That's hilarious and absolutely revolting.
Also be aware of the locals (all do this) who pick their nose in public. They will roll it in a ball with their fingers and will flick it at any direction with total disregard at whose direction they threw it at. It can end up landing in your mouth or face if you don't pay attention (also common among London Somalis if you ever go there).

Also, make sure not too ask for extra food all the time because they usually save a plate for any poor locals who come by who are hungry.

It does though because there are some cities or villages where Somalis aren't that religious. Plus many people pray at home, My brother used to go to friday prayer right after dugsi but other days he and my family pray at home. Even mosques are used to learn kids or adults Quran sometimes, So there are no space to pray. I can confirm since I have practically lived there all my life.

It's a relatively big city. But I can't say which for my own privacy.

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
No one prays there (outside of my family at least)

You won't stop even after we've meme tf out of your stupidity :mjlol:

When I was in Hargeisa, I used to pray in Ali Matan (3 floors) quite often because it's in the city centre and I'd always see people praying outside..That's just one mosque.

You won't stop even after we've meme tf out of your stupidity :mjlol:

When I was in Hargeisa, I used to pray in Ali Matan (3 floors) quite often because it's in the city centre and I'd always see people praying outside..That's just one mosque.

Interesting. I guess that was because its downtown. Every neighborhood had like a mosque every two blocks. I'm not familiar with Hargeisa.

Jjero

MO-G GROUPIE ♡
All y'all hear is rumors, This isn't actually true. Even habaryars and ayeewalk with baatis and loose hijabs and no one says a thing. Youmg girls tend to be catcalled and even raped, But no one throws stones. Maybe they call her behind her back and spread rumours but that stuff rarely happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending