What are your opinions on the Dutch diaspora?

pinkyandthebrain

Sigmund
VIP
Been there 17 years ago and the holiday was kind of boring It reminded me of the uk. I had more of a fun time in Belgium particularly Brussels. It felt like I was in Paris but much cleaner.

my cousins are from there but moved our. Dutch people are multilingual. They Speak dutch somali and english on average

I think their quite nice people. It’s a shame a lot of somalis had to move out cuz of employment and housing crises. not to mention islamaphobia due to moroccan gangs ruining the muslim name

Last edited:
They arguably have the oldest post-'90s community in the Western world. The Italian Somali community has mostly all been assimilated, and those who came in the '90s left for better countries. The Netherlands, our parents' generation found out was easier to reach, and more importantly, citizenship was easier to get. It required 5 years of living and basic Dutch to pass. That's why you see quite a lot of Dutch passport holders among UK Somalis. They made it way stricter now. The UK back then was still in the EU, so moving there was as easy as moving to the Netherlands.

One of the big reasons people didnt stick around here and went to the UK was because the Netherlands already had a very, very negative experience with Muslim minorities like Moroccans and Turks. One politician and one journalist were assssinated; this was when Ayaan came in and used that to stand out and be a pick-me.

It became very hard for Somalis to move into a specific city and create a large community; it was government policy to have Somalis and other refugees be spread out in the country. This is also why gang culture never really became the norm, as in large Somali-only gangs. To a degree, it did work in making the Somalis and other minorities not become like their UK or French counterparts. But it also made the population shrink, dutch somalis are the only minority group that actively emigrates and became smaller. Somes estimates put it as high as 40% of dutch somalis having left the coutntry.

A lot of Somalis get scouted for track running, and most of the time when the news talks about Dutch Somalis, it's about one of them having broken another record.

I would say that the Dutch government, compared to the UK, is very paternalistic. It's not as bad as Denmark, but the government does intrude. When a school notices a child is autistic, you don't get a situation where the parents can just ignore it and say the child is just a bit strange; they will very proactively try to get the child help. Taxes and stuff you can't mess around with; businesses do get controlled.

The social welfare is very generous, more so than in the UK. The Netherlands is very much a "better" economy, with better schools, more welfare, and poverty at the level of other EU countries doesn't exist. The government does intrude; starting a business requires more hoops than in the UK, and the government will ask for receipts for everything.
The Netherlands is a very data and detail-driven society. Most of the country is below sea level, historically if a dyke of the neighbors was not functional, it would mess up the neighborhood.

They have a lot of data on their Somali and other minorities, measuring how they're doing and improving year on year and generation on generation.

About Dutch Somalis: "Of Somali Muslims, 99% eat exclusively halal, 98% of women wear a headscarf, 94% fast all days of Ramadan and 92% pray five times a day"

K-M-O

Coping through the 1st world
my cousins are from there but moved our. Dutch people are multilingual. They Speak dutch somali and english on average

I think their quite nice people. It’s a shame a lot of somalis had to move out cuz of employment and housing crises. not to mention islamaphobia due to moroccan gangs ruining the muslim name

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Wonyluvr

“la vie en rose🥀 ~”
VIP
Now let’s be serious there’s nothing wrong with Dutch Somalis they are alright Sharky and Aj are both Dutch

When I was growing up, it was mainly the Moroccans who had a problem with us. Why? I honestly I still don’t know what their big deal was.

On second place you have the Surinamese, also REALLY weird people. We don’t relate in any aspect in life nor do we associate with each other outside off the Netherlands. So I couldn’t understand their issue either.

My personal most favourite diasporas here are the Indonesians, Turkish & Cabo verdeans. My own friend group consists off mostly these people + My first ever friend I made here was from Cabo and she still had my heart ❤️
Je komt sws uit rotterdam west dan, dats vol met cabos

Trending