The closest group genetically to somalis

Garaad diinle

 
Wolaytas being "close" to us is kinda misleading. They appear close to us at face-value from a pure genetic distance point of view because they're close to us in terms of base admixture levels. As in their proportions of SSA and MENA ancestry are very close to ours and in the end the non-SSA elements in MENA are so genetically differentiated from SSA ancestry that the distances between us and say Tigrinyas will be a little exaggerated even by a simple difference of about 10% in either direction.

In reality, when more recent genetic components are looked at, Wolaytas have a lot of Mota-related ancestry like many other Omotic speakers. I don't remember the numbers but they beat out even the most outlier-iest Oromos out there at well over 25-30%. Somalis only being 5-10% Mota-related at best are definitely not actually that close to them in terms of RECENT ancestral components. In that respect it's definitely something like Oromos>Afars>Agaws>Xabashis then arguably them.

We're still pretty close to them. Same basic components: Natufian/Levant-Neolithic + Iron-Age Arabian (possible Ancient Egyptian instead or as well) + Nilotic + Mota. It's just that when you look at the proportions of these lower (not base) components the numbers would not look as wild between us and Amharas as they will between us and Wolaytas mostly because of their heavy uptick in the Mota component.

And wallahi, been busy with IRL and not had much time to think about Y-DNA lately or my feelings on E-M58.

Update:

But I forgot to address that you're probably also wondering why they even seem closer to us in terms of more recent components than one would expect given that they're Omotic speakers? Like why aren't they the same as Aris? I remember noticing this a decade ago with friends. The impression I get from modeling and look at Wolaytas over the years is that they're a Cushitic or Ethiosemitic admixed group. Probably either the Sidamics or the Southern Ethiosemites (i.e. Gurage) nearby's ancestors significantly intermixed with theirs.
Mahadsanid jaalle thanks a dozen specially for clarifying this convoluted mess. The laymen here can't tell which from which so it's great to see the sspot aqonyahans stepping up to the plate and sprinkling some knowledge. Really appreciated.

And wallahi, been busy with IRL and not had much time to think about Y-DNA lately or my feelings on E-M58.
No problem, life can get handful sometimes but remember with hardships comes easy so allahumma yassir wala tu 'assir.

Last edited:
Speaking of genetics, linguistics can also be an indicator of genetic closeness. I found a Samburu song but don't speak Somali. Does anyone notice any Somali/Cushitic sounding lyrics in the video?

If im not mistaken, it is the Oromo and the Beja of Sudan. As well as the Afar to a certain extent.

The only thing that unites Oramo is the language. However, you would find Bantus, Nilotes, Negro remnants, and many other groups who have no proximity to us within Oramo. It is basically a confederation of different tribes and ethnic groups.

I would say Afar, Borana, Beja, Walo, plus others are closest to us. There are also smaller ethnic groups in Ethiopia who are closer to us.

52-53% eursian
There is why u hit closet to habesha then other Somalis simply due to Somalis having lower eursian.

Also are you 100% Somalis ?
Yes, it's the Eurasian mix that aligns perfectly with habesha, I am actually not mixed according to my family tree.

As in 33.3% Yemeni compared to somalis who are 2% to 8% Yemeni?
Eritreans can be modelled as 68% Somali, 32% Yemeni Mahra, so it’s on top of the Yemeni ancestry already present in Somalis.

Some of this probably isn’t Yemeni but Egyptian/Levantine too tbh

How close are Fulanis, Chadians and Swahilis are to Somalis genetically? I heard these groups are mixed as well.

Speaking of genetics, linguistics can also be an indicator of genetic closeness. I found a Samburu song but don't speak Somali. Does anyone notice any Somali/Cushitic sounding lyrics in the video?
Samburu is a Nilotic language, Maa Eastern Nilotic, same as Masai. What would Cushitic-sounding lyrics indicate other than simply linguistic influence? And would it really be that easy to tell? I've always questioned listening to an African language and trying to approximate its classification based on how it sounds relative to one language in a said family. Unless you hear clicking consonants which you can easily single down on a couple few groupings.

How close are Fulanis, Chadians and Swahilis are to Somalis genetically? I heard these groups are mixed as well.
Not that close. Fulanis have major West African ancestry which is already so distant from East African ancestry. Some Fulanis probably have a similar SSA-Eurasian split as Somalis so this would obviously make them closer to Somalis than any other west African group, but generally still not that close.

Swahilis i'm pretty sure don't have much Eurasian stuff. I've seen some with portions of Arabian similar to Somali, but their most significant mixture is with Nilotes If im not mistaken.

Chadian is a nationality, not an ethnic group. But Yes, there are Chadians with high Eurasian like the Chadian Arabs, or some Saharan Chadians with an intermediate level of Eurasian between Nilotes and Somalis.

Trending