Somali Atheist; what made you leave Islam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bielsa

Free Wi-Fi > Free Palestine
VIP
It doesn't matter what they believe in, since they are wrong and I'm right. Nothing that hard to comprehend.

Lol.

s7UsoC2.jpg

Funnily enough, reading the quran and sunnah to become a better muslim.

Turns out, a 19 yr old who've been exposed to different viewpoints with a set worldview is not the same as being a gullible 7 yr old being spoon fed stuff at dugsi :icon lol:

It wasn't as easy to accept some things a second time around

Slavery was a big thing for me too, all the justification just made me more disillusion lol

But lowkey it was Surah Al Nisaa that did me in:chrisfreshhah:I had no idea slavery was a thing until 'my right hands possess :drakelaugh:

The hadiths too "Women are deficient in intelligence" :pacspit::pacspit::pacspit:

Yes, I defended Islam ferociously in the face of all these allegations. In the end it came down to facing the reality of the world we live in. I had doubts ever since the age of 16 and it was based around the question of the existence of God and whether or not there is an afterlife. Terrorism didn't play any role or at least non that was significant. I would like to think it was purely rational.

My reasons for leaving Islam (simplified version) were as follows (not chronologically ordered):

1) There are over a thousand different religions and beliefs in the world and countless gods have been worshiped throughout history, what made my one special? I'm an atheist concerning 99% of gods.

2) The overwhelming majority of people follow the religions of their parents. Am I so foolish as to assume that the coincidence of being born Muslim equals Islam being true. I know that if I was born into a Christian family, I'd most likely be a Christian, if I wasn't born to Hindu parents I'd be Hindu and so on.

3) The pagan roots of Islam. The irony of Islam being OCD when it comes to monotheism and then being hit in the face with the pagan roots of salah, the Kaaba rites, Jinn/superstition and many more was shocking to say the least. The stories of Noah, Moses, Jesus and others, show stark resemblance to other mythical beings from older religions. For example, there's no doubt that Noah is just the mythical person Gilgamesh given a new name. Another example would be Jesus and the Egyptian God Horus. The two show too much resemblance. The virgin birth is a common myth throughout history. For example, Krishna was supposedly born from a virgin.

4) science! No evidence for Noah's flood, Moses splitting the sea, Muhammad splitting the moon or flying on a winged horse, Solomon speaking to animals and insects like ants, the stars being lamps in the sky made to adorn the lowest heaven (complete contradiction of scientific understanding) and so on. The list goes on.

5) Evolution. I tried to link evolution to Islam but there's no evidence from Islamic commentary and exegesis to interpret the Adam and Eve in a non literal manner. All the evidence shows that the story is supposed to be taken literally. I know it was Muslim scientists who first observed the relationship that all living things have witg one another and they even went as far as humans and monkeys (we never came from them but we share common ancestors), they're observations were scientific and thus has no basis on the religion perspective.

The list goes on...
bullshit. I was always a devout muslim and defended islam until 1 and a half years ago. It comes down to evidence and a lot of inconsistencies with islam. All Abrahamic religions are said to be syncretic in concept, because of borrowed knowledge from ideologies such as gnosticism. Islam and all religions are fabrications with one sole purpose, unification and the strengthening of communities for a means of control. The other reason was its incompatibility with the scientific theory of evolution.
It's quite a difficult question it wasn't one thing which made me leave rather it was a multitude of factors with the Theory of Evolution being the nail in the coffin.

The incompatibility of Islam with the theory of evolution does not prove it to be false. Because, simply put, the theory of evolution is still a theory and not a proven fact.

I recently read a convincing article detailing that the origins of some of the methods of hajj is found in arab paganism. I was also watching a a documentary by a historian who was making the case that niqaab also has some pagan roots, I can't remember the name of the documentary it was on BBC.

However how does your atheism deal with concept of justice/fairness? For example how can it be that a child killer or rapist who escaped justice in this world, will have just gotten away it?

The reason that some of the rites at xajj can be found in Arab paganism culture is because the old religion of the Arabs came from Nabi Ibraahiim (عليه السّلام), who was the ancestor of the Quraysh. But one day a pious mnv, who was thought highly of, by the name of 'Amr, if my memory serves me correctly, went to Shaam (Levant) and saw the people there worshipping statues. He decided it was a good idea and the Arabs followed his example as he was known to be pious.

All in all, Islam comes from Allah and so does the the monotheistic religion of Ibraahiim (عليه السّلام) which the Arab pagan religion originated from, therefore that which are shared between the two are shared because they are from a common source.

The incompatibility of Islam with the theory of evolution does not prove it to be false. Because, simply put, the theory of evolution is still a theory and not a proven fact.
f*ck, even primary school students know 'theory' in the non-scientific sense and 'theory' in the scientific sense.

I always felt sorry for the "good" gaalo who have done amazing things for society which are going to end up being burned forever. I cannot even conceptualise the concept of "forever being burned".

All your points are good and valid but nevertheless there just has to be a god ....a good god that created us all. I just believe there is.

They may have done amazing things and respected others rights, but they have denied the rights of their Creator.

إن الله لذو فضل على الناس و لكن أكثر الناس لا يشكرون [سورة يونس]

Indeed, Allah is full of Bounty for mankind but most of them are ungrateful. [Surah Yunus]

“”Creationists make it sound as though a 'theory' is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night. —Isaac Asimov :icon lol:

The reality:

350px-Scientific_Theory_Flowchart.png

What? :mindblown:

You think science is some sort of democracy? You need to read more about how it works!

I think not. Never will you hear an established scientific fact such as gravity being referred to as the Theory of Gravity. Rather, theories have some basis (unlike an untested hypothesis), but are not (yet) established facts.

I think not. Never will you hear an established scientific fact such as gravity being referred to as the Theory of Gravity. Rather, theories have some basis (unlike an untested hypothesis), but are not (yet) established facts.
That's false! The most accurate scientific theory ever created is known as the quantum theory! Its agreement with the experiments has been likened to measuring the distance between New York and London within accuracy to the thickness of human hair. Did they chuck the label 'theory' afterwards? No. What you think happens doesn't happen. Btw, Newton's laws were never referred to as 'Newton's theory of gravity'.

That's false! The most accurate scientific theory ever created is known as the quantum theory! Its agreement with the experiments has been likened to measuring the distance between New York and London within accuracy to the thickness of human hair. Did they chuck the label 'theory' afterwards? No. What you think happens doesn't happen. Btw, Newton's laws were never referred to as 'Newton's theory of gravity'.

Concerning "Btw, Newton's laws were never referred to as 'Newton's theory of gravity'."

That's exactly what I meant.

Since I am unable to change your viewpoint (and don't really care to do so), I would like you to prove evolution to me beyond a fraction of a doubt.

Concerning "Btw, Newton's laws were never referred to as 'Newton's theory of gravity'."

That's exactly what I meant.

Since I am unable to change your viewpoint (and don't really care to do so), I would like you to prove evolution to me beyond a fraction of a doubt.
But laws and theories are not the same. The reason I said that is because you seemed to be confusing between the two. Theory is a larger framework in which laws form a subset. So it's true that Newton's laws ⊆ Newton's theory of gravity, but it's not true that Newton's laws = Newton's theory of gravity. Also, no one uses the term 'law' anymore in physics. If they were devised today Newton's laws would be called Newton's equations (like Maxwell's equations) or words to that effect. Also, good job on ignoring what I've said about quantum theory.

But laws and theories are not the same. The reason I said that is because you seemed to be confusing between the two. Theory is a larger framework in which laws form a subset. So it's true that Newton's laws ⊆ Newton's theory of gravity, but it's not true that Newton's laws = Newton's theory of gravity. Also, no one uses the term 'law' anymore in physics. If they were devised today Newton's laws would be called Newton's equations (like Maxwell's equations) or words to that effect. Also, good job on ignoring what I've said about quantum theory.

The reason why I have "ignored" what you said about quantum theory is because it is irrelevant to why I posted in the first place.

The reason why I have "ignored" what you said about quantum theory is because it is irrelevant to why I posted in the first place.
What you posted was dismissing the theory of evolution solely for being a 'theory'. So why not do the same for quantum theory and countless other well established scientific theories while you're at it? It's an example that perfectly demonstrates the accuracy of scientific theories - and that dismissing them on basis of the label 'theory' is just absurd. But of course you would want to discredit those that go against your religion!

What you posted was dismissing the theory of evolution solely for being a 'theory'. So why not do the same for quantum theory and countless other well established scientific theories while you're at it? It's an example that perfectly demonstrates the accuracy of scientific theories - and that dismissing them on basis of the label 'theory' is just absurd. But of course you would want to discredit those that go against your religion!

As I recall after giving up on that I said "prove evolution to me beyond a fraction of a doubt"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending