Similarities between Somalis and Arab Bedouins

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
if by learn you mean learn to not be like them then i agree. if you are looking to develop and progress, Arabs of any kind shouldn't really be your role model. there are plenty of countries in the world who have started out where we are ( not nomadic societies but i mean in terms of the chaos in their countries) and managed to somewhat catch up with the rest of the world. Arabs are still inherently divided and its for that very reason that its so easy for the west to exploit them. just because they have dictators in place now, doesn't mean they've learnt to follow authority and put they country before themselves or their tribes, sects etc.
I agree with you that there could be better examples.
But I think it's better to look to examples that are close to home, and nothing generates a visceral reaction like a society that is very similar to yours in lifestyle surpass yours economically. We as a people are fiercely proud, and we should use that to our advantage, and try to avoid what the Arabs are doing. But that pride has made us far worse than them, and it's frustrating. Historically, we developed some of the earliest civilisations on the continent and grew wealthier and wealthier, and we should embrace our history like they're doing (and have been doing) in Egypt, instead of becoming just another African shithole. Somalia and Somalis are literally synonymous with 'Anarchic third world shithole' and I hate it.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
kkkkkkkk

that 'dusty triangle' is a million times more complex than that 'castle'. the point isn't what is built but how it was built. i don't know what somalis were doing in 3500BC but they sure weren't building castles. I would be surprised if they knew how to make those huts made out of grass yet.
There are large castles, cairns and courtyards in Northern and Northeastern Somalia that are dated to about 2500 B.C. Maybe even earlier if more archaelogical testing is done.
Also Punt.
We also have some of the oldest continuously inhabited cities on the continent.
I've been agreeing with you for the most part and you've been making reasonable points but Somalis (at least the ancestors of the Somalis) have been building structures and buildings for thousands of years. Don't be ridiculous and lump us in with Central/Southern Africa, where civilisations and buildings are relatively newer in comparison.

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
if by learn you mean learn to not be like them then i agree. if you are looking to develop and progress, Arabs of any kind shouldn't really be your role model. there are plenty of countries in the world who have started out where we are ( not nomadic societies but i mean in terms of the chaos in their countries) and managed to somewhat catch up with the rest of the world. Arabs are still inherently divided and its for that very reason that its so easy for the west to exploit them. just because they have dictators in place now, doesn't mean they've learnt to follow authority and put they country before themselves or their tribes, sects etc.
The vast majority of their population (i.e 90 % + were bedouins 100 years ago, just like Somalis). Now only a minority are bedouins, whilst 70 % of Somalis are nomads. There is absolutely no division between Gulf Arabs. Saudis are nationalists, who hardly care about tribe and are not facing any political turmoil. They have a monarch, not a dictator like the rest of the middle east.

They are a good example to use, as they were fanatic tribalists who have transformed into a modern state and have let go their tribalism whilst taking the good out of it.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
Go to laas geel and you'll find out
The fact that we're sitting on top of so much hidden and potentially magnificent history is extremely irritating.
Imagine if Somalis (well the Somali language didn't exist but they're our ancestors, at least partially) had a thriving civilisation, even more prominent than Egypt :ahh:

The Somali culture was Arabized after the civil war. That's why it's so similar to Arab culture. The real Somali culture (Pre-1990) was nothing like the culture we have today. We had an ancient Somali African culture and clothing that became extinct after the Arabization of the Somali culture during the 1990's, due to the spread of Wahhabism by Saudi Arabia.

That's spot on :ohhh:
This Ibn Khaldun guy's pretty harsh towards the Bedouins though.
Is there some sort of contempt for Bedouins in the Gulf countries?

Countries like Kuwait offer them money and other incentives to settle and stop their nomadic life. I'm not sure if it's the same for other gulf countries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts