Second part of Futuh Al Habash?

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian 🇩🇯 | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 🇸🇴
VIP
There was a second book written along with futuh but where is it? Has it been lost to time or laying in some old library?

Khaemwaset

VIP
its in one of the arab libraries probably in some arab institute somewhere. Only after civil war can we find it.
This would be such a great find walahi. For the history of the horn in that region. Perhaps it talks of the dark ages in the region and Oromo migrations.

Somali_patriotic

Everything unuka leh
It might have never existed maybe
Arab fiqh aun died and no one continued writing the history of the futuh
That's pretty much the most likely scenario

Last edited:

Three Moons

Give Dhul-Suwayqatayn not an inch of the Sea!
According to Richard Burton, the second volume should be in Gujarat (if I remember correctly), which in the 16th century had Sultans that were major connoisseurs of art, architecture and writing. I don’t think anyone has ever bothered to go looking for it. You need a well-funded research institution to undertake these sort of tasks. A foreign researcher will only work with what’s easily accessible.

I do find it interesting that in Cairo’s Al-Azhar another version of the Futuh was found dating back to 1653, more than a century after the Conquests, and written by an unknown scribe.

Khaemwaset

VIP
According to Richard Burton, the second volume should be in Gujarat (if I remember correctly), which in the 16th century had Sultans that were major connoisseurs of art, architecture and writing. I don’t think anyone has ever bothered to go looking for it. You need a well-funded research institution to undertake these sort of tasks. A foreign researcher will only work with what’s easily accessible.

I do find it interesting that in Cairo’s Al-Azhar another version of the Futuh was found dating back to 1653, more than a century after the Conquests, and written by an unknown scribe.
We need to have some scholars go digging through these libraries. So much that could be copied, studied and known to the world if we actually went looking.

Somali_patriotic

Everything unuka leh

Can you send the Richard burton source

Three Moons

Can you send the Richard burton source

I did remember it incorrectly, it was either Mocha or Hudaydah. I wonder why Gujarat was on my mind. I know there was a Gujarat edition but it must have been related to the first volume:

70873F4E-997C-4297-B358-303DF9AB44AF.jpeg

Richard Burton's Somali Expedition, 1854-55: Its Wider Historical Context and Planning - Jon R. Godsall

Somali_patriotic

Everything unuka leh
I did remember it incorrectly, it was either Mocha or Hudaydah. I wonder why Gujarat was on my mind. I know there was a Gujarat edition but it must have been related to the first volume:

View attachment 296841

Richard Burton's Somali Expedition, 1854-55: Its Wider Historical Context and Planning - Jon R. Godsall
So another volume existed?
Researchs went searching for the 2nd volume and found nothing, they proposed that the author might have died
That seems like a logical
damsel.png

Also explains why the futuh suddenly stops
Screenshot_20230804_200553_Drive.jpg

Three Moons

So another volume existed?
Researchs went searching for the 2nd volume and found nothing, they proposed that the author might have died
That seems like a logical View attachment 296843
Also explains why the futuh suddenly stops
View attachment 296842

That makes no sense, because what Ahmed was accomplishing had never been done before, he was conquering the last Christian kingdom in Africa, one that was well known across the Islamic world and Christiandom. Ahmed knew he was making history, the start of a new empire and chapter, he wasn’t going to let it go by without it being immortalised with ink and parchment first.

If his scribe had actually died, the Imam would have prayed for him and then commissioned a new scribe to record his victories, remember he still had many victories ahead of him in those remaining six years.

I also doubt that any modern scholars went looking for it because he doesn’t even name them. And the theory about his wife is also dubious, though Binti Mahfuz enjoyed a lot of power for a 16th century woman, it’s very doubtful that a male scribe would just give up his Magnus Opus. Besides, it’s not like he was shouting every word he wrote out loud, so why would she feel the need to intervene if she didn’t even know what was being written by him?

If it was to hide Ahmed’s death, then based on how the scribe depicted the Imam throughout the Futuh, he was clearly Ahmed’s biggest champion and the scribe would have done that himself, the way Abyssinian chroniclers would hide the deaths of their monarchs at the hands of Ifat or Adal.

Last edited:

Khaemwaset

VIP
That makes no sense, because what Ahmed was accomplishing had never been done before, he was conquering the last Christian kingdom in Africa, one that was well known across the Islamic world and Christiandom. Ahmed knew he was making history, the start of a new empire and chapter, he wasn’t going to let it go by without it being immortalised with ink and parchment first.

If his scribe had actually died, the Imam would have prayed for him and then commissioned a new scribe to record his victories, remember he still had many victories ahead of him in those remaining six years.

I also doubt that any modern scholars went looking for it because he doesn’t even name them. And the theory about his wife is also dubious, though Binti Mahfuz enjoyed a lot of power for a 16th century woman, it’s very doubtful that a male scribe would just give up his Magnus Opus. Besides, it’s not like he was shouting every word he wrote out loud, so why would she feel the need to intervene if she didn’t even know what was being written by him?
Facts I believe there is probably a second book somewhere. We just need people actually looking and collecting all these manuscripts. So many books that would settle so much and learn us alot about the past that are rotting away at some old guys book shelf.

Somali_patriotic

Everything unuka leh

If it was to hide Ahmed’s death, then based on how the scribe depicted the Imam throughout the Futuh, he was clearly Ahmed’s biggest champion and the scribe would have done that himself, the way Abyssinian chroniclers would hide the deaths of their monarchs at the hands of Ifat or Adal.
The futuh stops suddenly Don't even mention further conquests
Your point is valid tho, but is there any evidence that ahmed paid him to write his history?
Jamal al din also was clapping the Ethiopian empire, no one wrote about him except for outside medieval scholars

Three Moons

Cuz he lost

Nah, she kept the Adal army together, then chose a successor in Nur Ibn Mujahid, and by marrying him solidified his legitimacy and in return he brought her back the head of Emperor Galawdewos.

She had no time for books, she avenged her father by making Lebne Dengel a fugitive in his own kingdom, then avenged her husband.

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
Nah, she kept the Adal army together, then chose a successor in Nur Ibn Mujahid, and by marrying him solidified his legitimacy and in return he brought her back the head of Emperor Galawdewos.

She had no time for books, she avenged her father by making Lebne Dengel a fugitive in his own kingdom, then avenged her husband.
She didnt choose

Three Moons

The futuh stops suddenly Don't even mention further conquests
Your point is valid tho, but is there any evidence that ahmed paid him to write his history?

He was his personal scribe, but little is known about the writer himself as he focused on the conquests.

Jamal al din also was clapping the Ethiopian empire, no one wrote about him except for outside medieval scholars

Maqrizi was a library scholar, meaning unlike Ibn Battuta, he didn’t actually visit the regions he was writing about. A lot of his work on Jamal ad-Din II was based on anecdotes by individuals from Somalia, which had several student quarters in Cairo.

You should remember that in the sackings of Zayla, multiple times the city was burned, which would have included centers of knowledge. The only reason the Futuh itself survived is because a French scholar recovered and translated it before Menelik’s conquest of Harar. If the latter had found it, we probably would know next to nothing about that period from a Muslim perspective.

The biggest mistake by Imam Ahmed which led to his own demise was ignoring the request of the Ottoman musketeers to hand over the body of Cristavo da Gama to Constantinople. Imam Ahmed decided to execute Cristavo da Gama with his own hands, which infuriated the Turks. The ottoman commander withdrew his elite contingent from Adal, which helped Imam Ahmed gain a decisive victory at the battle of Wofla. The Turks deserted to Yemen, which left Imam Ahmed's forces vulnerable.

If Imam Ahmed complied with the request of the Turks, they could have found out crucial intelligence information about the Portuguese and Ethiopia. This would have led to a complete victory at the battle of Wayna Gaga, the collapse of the Solonomic dynasty and the end of Portuguese presence in the Red Sea. It would have been a victory for both the Ottoman empire and Adal. A very sad outcome.

Trending

Latest posts